Safari slowing down whole computer?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by 2001ChevyZ71, Dec 10, 2010.

1. 2001ChevyZ71 macrumors member

Hey guys, my MBP is a 13 inch and it is less than 6 months old , but recently Safari has been slowing down my whole computer to a snails pace. It is soo slow that it takes like 3 minutes for a click to register. It is almost as if it has a virus. I switched to using google chrome and it is almost as if the problem goes away(its still slow with chrome, but a lot faster than safari).WTF is the problem?

Google chrome and google chrome renderer are using 70.9 and 49.9 of my cpu respectively, and my mbp still goes with not near as bad of a problem as safari.

Please help me!!!!

2. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Why is your CPU usage so high? None of my browser ever get that high.

3. 2001ChevyZ71 thread starter macrumors member

4. miata macrumors 6502

You're not running low on disk space are you? That will do it. Not sure why Safari would be worse than Chrome though.

5. aimbdd macrumors 6502a

do you have any extensions installed? If so what ones mine uses about 3% on average...(and that is rounding up) so that is not normal, at all.

6. JKK photography macrumors regular

JKK photography

Loading anything with a ton of Flash, or anything that has some really intensive Flash going on?

Try Firefox, see if the problem is still there. Uninstall/reinstall Safari. See if it still happens.

7. MacGurl111 macrumors 65816

MacGurl111

I don't know if this will help but adjust your safari into 32bit. My browser is running faster too.

8. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

what websites are you going to? flash ads and video could be the culprit.

but ive noticed that TechCruch.com slows down webkit browsers on the mac and pegs the CPU a bit leading to jumpiness and a hot MacBook until it loads. anyone know why? flash?

9. mark28 macrumors 68000

10. AAPLaday Guest

AAPLaday

Have you tried emptying the cache and resetting Safari?

11. adnoh macrumors 6502a

adnoh

I have this problem on certain websites.

www.tesco.com is notorius - try browsing that and let us know if your laptop slows down.

I brought up this issue in an Apple store and the "genius" told me that its just the way some websites are made. I told him chrome doesnt have this problem so its not the website and he basically told me to foxtrot oscar.

12. Paulywauly macrumors 6502a

Paulywauly

I think you should try setting up istat on your pc and have it running when your pc grinds to a halt, if anything spikes it should give you a good idea where your problem is. If its the CPU its most likely due to Flash content :rolleyes:

Also check your ram usage too, if your macbook is doing alot of page outs its going to slow things down too.

13. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

Tesco runs fine on Opera at least. Maybe you should just try to reset all the browser profiles and clear caches.
    Usually it is always flash or HTML5 stuff as trouble's main source.

14. aimbdd macrumors 6502a

I don't find that to be true.

15. 2001ChevyZ71 thread starter macrumors member

No, its normal sites like youtube, Facebook, craigslist.

I ran a sweep on my whole mac and Mcafee didn't pick anything up.

I opened safari this morning and its still chugging like the little engine that could. I tried reseting it, but i couldn't find anything.

Whenever safari is open, it slows down the Whole computer, not just the internet part.

One more thing. This all started about 2-3 days ago

16. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Me either. Chrome is about the same speed as Safari on my MacBook. It's certainly not noticeably faster.

17. Boston007 macrumors 6502

Boston007

Chrome manages memory much better than Safari, MUCH BETTER.

GET CHROME
    GET FLASHBLOCK

You will see a difference immediately

18. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

The Problem, atleast the way I see it, is that safari caches websites to real ram, and will do so until you kill the program. I've had safari use over a gig of ram at one time. If you've got a low amount of ram then this may be the cause.

19. 2001ChevyZ71 thread starter macrumors member

I'll give that a try, how do i kill the program and will it mess anything up?. But why would it just start all of a sudden?

What is flashblock is that an app of some sorts?

20. mark28 macrumors 68000

Just backup your important files or time machine and format + reinstall tomorrow if you got a free day.

It will probably fix all your problems.

21. Username02 macrumors regular

Been following this thread because I have noticed some websites slowing up Safari. I know it is not Flash since I have the Click-To-Flash plug-in installed.

Tried this tip to empty cache and reset (everything but cookies) and now everything is working snappy again.

Thanks for the tip.

22. MacGurl111 macrumors 65816

MacGurl111

23. AAPLaday Guest

AAPLaday

You're welcome. I normally do this every few weeks to help keep the performance snappy

24. trigonometry macrumors 6502

trigonometry

MacRumors forums slows Safari on my computer. I thought it was my internet connection speed but if I go to another site, flash heavy, it loads fine. Come back to MF and it just hangs. Then at other times, the pages load almost instantly. IDK.

25. 2001ChevyZ71 thread starter macrumors member

I switched safari from 64 bit mode to 32 bit mode and the problem went away instantly, but im still using fire fox because im pissed off at safari.

Im still curious as to what was screwing with my MBP?