Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Canceled
Original poster
Nov 2, 2016
Hi there,

I uninstalled Safari Technology Preview with AppCleaner and everything was moved to the trash.

When voiding the trash, a folder named "com.apple 19-04-46-245.SafariTechnologyPreview" seems to be locked ("in use") and it is impossible to delete it. I installed STP again and uninstalled it only to get to the same point, this time with "com.apple 12-34-22-971.SafariTechnologyPreview" adding to the first folder in the trash. They both contain a "Safary Family" file which opens like a folder but doesn't have an icon nor an extension.

Thank you for any suggestion! :)

Lunder89

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2014
Denmark
Locked files can't be deleted if they are in use. First thing to try is to restart your Mac and then empty the trash. If that does not work. Try to open the Terminal app and type this command: sudo rm -rf ~/.Trash

Type your admin password and hit return. That should empty your trash.

Canceled
Original poster
Nov 2, 2016
Hi there,

thanks for the tips. I tried both restarting and emptying the trash with the terminal command but sadly the files are still there...

yomovil

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2020
(1) You'll have to boot into Recovery Mode and run from terminal "csrutil disable" in order to disable System Integrity Protection.
(2) Restart, delete the file
(3) Back to Recovery Mode to re-enable SIP and running from terminal "csrutil enable"
(4) Welcome

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.