Sale Mentality------Especially Black Friday

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by dukebound85, Nov 25, 2010.

1. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

Does anyone else get this? I admit, when I hear Black Friday, I look around at ads on newegg or amazon and try to make myself "want" things that I normally wouldn't consider soley due to their "sale" price. I then ground myself saying if it wasn't for these sales, I would never consider it.

The more I think about it, sales don't really matter to me. I would rather buy an item when I decide I need it, sale or not, than try to anticipate wanting it and buy it during events like tomorrow.

Thought I would get some opinions on this as I started thinking about it when I saw people lining up at BB at 3pm today when it is freezing cold and started to wonder, why on earth?

What do you do? Where are you trying to go tomorrow to take advantage of these sales? Do you buy things just because they are on sale? Are you one to impulse buy a blu-ray at 9.99 when it originally is 17.99 and etc?

With that said, I may try and wander out to get some Xmas gifts:) but as far as shopping for me, I'll pass for now

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

I got a sound card normally at $149.99 for $69.99 (Creative X-FI Titanium Fatal1ty.) and an external 1.5TB HDD for $80 normally $100.

Not much, but I feel they were good deals, specially the sound card. I needed both, the HDD for Time Machine and the sound card for Macross. (see sig for details)

3. HappyDude20 macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

In the past I've always been the second guy in line outside best buy from right after the turkey dinner. Years ago when the nintendo wii and ps3 came out I managed to purchase 3 of each, to later make a profit.

Aside from that, to me, it's kinda like the initiation of the holidays. Purely an event (and excuse) to be at an electronics store at 5am with a thousand others. Most years I'll spend less than $50, purposefully testing myself I can withhold from spending, but I still go.

This year however I'm sitting out. Having a two year old now and having to drop off my Sis at the airport at 4am don't mix with midnight shopping. That and I have work at 11am, of which I'll be at the front lines with black Friday shoppers.

4. jzon macrumors newbie

Well there are a lot of thing I wouldn't buy because the price isn't worth it but if I can get it for 50% then a new video card would suddenly become a "need".

Same thing I guess for other stuff like new shoes or upgrading your monitor.

5. wordoflife, Nov 26, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2010

wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I agree. This year I didn't go, because simply... there is nothing I really want. I have everything I want and I can't think of a single thing I would want to buy. If I need something important, like you said, I would just go and buy it for a slightly higher price. People go and lineup because they want to get something for dirt cheap, but its mostly for the first 10 people there. After owning my first Mac, I realize that these "dirt cheap" computers and stuff like that are also the cheap quality ones too.

You get what you pay for when it comes to technology.
    However, I think Black Friday is only fun for technology. lol

It's not bad for the person who wants to save a couple hundred dollars on something someone is going to buy anyways.

Actually, today, my Dad asked me "Why didn't you go shopping in the morning" and I was like ... "I can't think of a single thing I want to buy"

Oh well, I guess the money my parents gave me for Black Friday can actually go to something I want.

For Christmas, I probably wont find anything I like either. I think I'll just end up asking for money for Christmas.

I'm going to get my Mac serviced today, and might pick up a magic mouse or Apple Care. We'll see...