Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Vietnamese site Tinhte.vn has been spending some more time with the 3rd Generation iPad in their possession.

They took some screenshots of the native apps that come bundled with the new iPad that support its new Retina screen. This is a screenshot from iPhoto (click for full size):

The sizes of these Retina-enabled apps appear to be about 2.5-3x the size of their original counterparts.
These applications are developed by Apple has been upgraded to support the Retina screen, for example with Keynote (iWork software sets), this application previously only 115MB capacity but its latest version is 327MB. Numbers from 109MB or 283MB up to, from 95MB to 269MB Pages, iMovie from 70MB to 404MB.
Existing iPad apps are automatically pixel-doubled to take up the full screen on the new iPad, but appear noticeably less sharp than native Retina graphics.

In a separate post, they took a number of sample photos using the new iPad's 5-megapixel camera. This represents a significant upgrade from the iPad 2's 1-megapixel camera. One sample shot is included here (click for full size):

The 3rd Generation iPad is officially launching on March 16th at retail stores. The bulk of the pre-orders should also be arriving in customers hands on that day.

Article Link: Sample Photos and Screenshots from 3rd Generation iPad

macchrissli

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2008
damn - should have gone with the 64gig instead of the 32gig version ... when all my apps double in space on the long run i'll have to make a much more careful selection than in the past

khakilad

macrumors member
Mar 25, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B179 Safari/7534.48.3)

With the Apps getting bigger, I'm glad I've gone for the 64GB.

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
Cool, I want to check out that Retina Display in person when I get the chance.

FlameofAnor

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B179 Safari/7534.48.3)

With the Apps getting bigger, I'm glad I've gone for the 64GB.

Ditto. :)

Of course, I bought the 64GB version of the original iPad as well. This should be an impressive upgrade.

mw360

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010
That 5 megapixel image looks great when scaled down to about 1 megapixel. Really what is the point of all those extra pixels if they're just a blurry jittery mush? And I'm not pointing the finger at Apple here, its all the people who demand more megapixels without understanding what they're getting.

sammich

macrumors 601
Sep 26, 2006
Sarcasmville.
I'm just comprehending the fact that the viewfinder displays almost 1:1 pixels of the sensor. That's the sensor feeding 270MB/s of data to the application.

AppleMark

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2009
The CCTV Capital of the World
To take awesome-looking pictures!

Agreed, but that was not my point.

I have an iPhone 4s and an 'Oldest iPad'. If I had the 'New iPad', I doubt I would rarely ever use it for taking pictures.

For me, iPhone and iPad are relatively small form factors, but in comparison hugely different.

Many years ago I used to have to carry camera's and video camera's to get a half decent image. I have never taken as many photos as I have since I owned any iPhone. I imagine it would be a step back for me if I had to 'unsheath' my iPad every time to take a quick snap.

Just saying for purely practical reasons....

It's good to have just in case your digital camera or iPhone dies and need to take a picture.

Hmmm, but is that not like saying, "I carry my laptop with me in case my iPad battery dies."?

nomad01

macrumors 68000
Aug 1, 2005
Birmingham, England
Still cannot see the point in using an iPad to take pictures....

I'd agree until I bought one for my technophobe parents.

Now they bombard me with snapshots of the dog... a new piece of furniture... an old photo mom dug out.

Second thoughts, maybe they should remove that camera! ;)

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
Forget photos... the bigger story is how crisp and sharp the screen is. Beautiful.

I can't wait to see one in person.

Click for full size:

IMG_0023.PNG

Oh... and for comparison... can someone share a screenshot from the iPad 2?

MentalFloss

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2012
damn - should have gone with the 64gig instead of the 32gig version ... when all my apps double in space on the long run i'll have to make a much more careful selection than in the past
I guess it's worth noting that at least iMovie did not increase in size because of the retina update, but mostly because of the new media (background music) included with the app.

...which of course does not change the fact that the app did increase in size significantly. ;) But for me, the main argument for the 64GB version was the 1080p recording capability of the camera.

espoir

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2007
Does Apple get to push separate retina-enabled version of the same apps to the AppStore, while other developers should sell big-sized universal versions?

ryanw

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2003
Lots of Pixels = Lots of Noise

That picture has lots of pixels but sure looks nasty. Jobs himself was explaining that not all MegaPixels were equal explaining that it's not about the number of pixels in your picture that counts, but how good the photo looks.

With all that said, I don't really believe the iPad to be a good "picture taking device". It's not something you're going to want to walk around disneyland taking pictures with. I'm still not fully understanding why an iPad needs a camera at all. I understand the front-facing camera for facetime conversations, but what's the point of the other camera on the back?

redman042

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2008
Geez, Apple's apps have sure jumped in file size. VERY happy with my last-minute decision to bump up from 32 GB to 64 GB.

The shots look incredible, though it's still hard to mentally "scale them down" to the iPad screen size at that resolution. I'll just have to wait until it arrives on Friday to see for myself. I certainly remember the amazing feeling of gazing at my iPhone 4 screen for the first time. Apple sure knows how to work magic with displays.

MentalFloss

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2012
With all that said, I don't really believe the iPad to be a good "picture taking device". It's not something you're going to want to walk around disneyland taking pictures with. I'm still not fully understanding why an iPad needs a camera at all. I understand the front-facing camera for facetime conversations, but what's the point of the other camera on the back?

The first thing that comes to my mind is that this camera can also be used for Facetime. You use the front-facing camera for your own face, but if you want to show the other person what is going on around you, then you use the back-facing camera. Granted - you don't need a 5MP camera for that, as Facetime will certainly not transfer FullHD video.

The other point why I personally am very happy about having a decent-quality camera included in the iPad is how this simplifies my video workflow. If I want to take e.g. a video of my daughter to send to the relatives, then currently I have to use my camera, move the video to my Mac and edit it there before uploading it. Or I use my iPhone and then iMovie on the iPhone for editing and uploading. The latter is obviously more quick&simple, but iMovie on the iPhone is not such a great user experience, especially when the videos get longer. But with the iPad, I can take the video, comfortably edit it immediately and directly on the device and upload it. No switching between devices. No fiddling on a small screen.

Millah

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2008
I understand the front-facing camera for facetime conversations, but what's the point of the other camera on the back?

Umm like you just said, for FaceTime conversations? You do realize that FaceTime utilizes both a front and rear camera, which is arguably one of the nicest things about it.

Not everyone who owns an iPad is going to have an iPhone 4S as well. So why not give these iPad owners an awesome camera with great optics as well? It's not like it's costing YOU any additional money for the iPad, it's a great bonus on an already great value.

MacFetish

macrumors newbie
Jan 26, 2010
I'm waiting on my pre-order. Upgrading from a first gen. I can't see myself using it for snaps, my 4s makes much more sense, but I guess it will be nice to have the option. But there are other reasons to have a camera. If someone truly nails an augmented reality app, this could be the device to make the technology go from novelty to something really worthwhile.

joelvega125

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Maybe it's because I'm extremely tired, but why does the info bubble on the photo say it is a 10MP Nikkon. Are we looking at a photo taken from the iPad itself or a picture simply being displayed on the iPad.

Kevitivity

macrumors newbie
Jan 25, 2010
Really glad I pre-ordered the 64gig model based on those new app sizes alone.

----------

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Maybe it's because I'm extremely tired, but why does the info bubble on the photo say it is a 10MP Nikkon. Are we looking at a photo taken from the iPad itself or a picture simply being displayed on the iPad.

The iPhoto screenshot is using an image from a Nikon camera.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.