Samsung Again Teases Foldable Smartphone Ahead of February 20 Event

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 11, 2019.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

In a new "The Future Unfolds" ad for its upcoming February 20 keynote event, Samsung today teased hints of its upcoming "Galaxy Fold" foldable smartphone.

Not a lot can be seen in the video, but the words in the video appear to wrap around a foldable surface, a reference to Samsung's first smartphone with this folding design.

Samsung in November introduced its Infinity Flex display technology, demonstrating it in a device with a 7.3-inch flexible display that can be folded right in half, collapsing from a tablet size down to a smartphone size.

[​IMG]

At the time, Samsung said that it had to invent new materials and reimagine the display from the ground up to create its Infinity Flex technology.

Samsung is developing a new software platform for the device in partnership with Google, which is designed to support two UIs - one for when the device is open and one for when the device is closed.

[​IMG]

Samsung's foldable smartphone will debut at its upcoming February 20 event, which will also see the launch of the new Galaxy S10 smartphone lineup.

The Galaxy S10 devices won't feature foldable displays, but there will be three options at various price points and with different display sizes. Samsung's Galaxy S10 lineup is expected to feature small "hole punch" camera cutouts to maximize available screen area.

Samsung will introduce its new smartphones at 11:00 a.m. Pacific Time at the Bill Graham Civic Auditorium in San Francisco, California, months ahead of when Apple will debut its 2019 iPhone lineup.

There have been some rumors suggesting Apple is exploring foldable display content, but right now, there's no concrete evidence that Apple is working on a smartphone with a foldable display.

Article Link: Samsung Again Teases Foldable Smartphone Ahead of February 20 Event

2. Klae17 macrumors 65816

Klae17

3. keysofanxiety macrumors G3

keysofanxiety

More of a flip phone than foldable really — doesn’t quite strike me as futuristic as a full bezeless translucent display would. Still, it’ll be interesting to see them make the plunge and how it turns out.

4. gopnick macrumors regular

5. koruki macrumors 65816

koruki

looks horrible, i can't see a use case, I don't like how thin iphones are going but this is stupid thick lol

6. motm95 macrumors regular

Both of those have very strange size dimensions and aspect ratios.

No thanks.

7. kazmac macrumors 604

kazmac

Beware if the final shape is a vacuum, your wallet will never stand a chance.

8. AngerDanger, Feb 11, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2019

AngerDanger macrumors 68040

AngerDanger

More than foldable displays, I'd like to see two seamless but separate microLED displays similar to the ones demoed at CES…

[​IMG]

…but that have a hinge connecting them on the other side. This way, you can have both displays covered in durable glass and perfectly straight:

Seamless MicroLED Foldable Phone Mockup.gif

9. CmdrLaForge macrumors 601

CmdrLaForge

10. justperry macrumors G3

justperry

I think the future will bring rollable displays, similar to the new LG OLED display they showed of not too long ago.

11. keysofanxiety macrumors G3

keysofanxiety

I’m just waiting for the one shaped like a paper fortune teller, so simple navigation to a new webpage involves about 3 minutes of hand movement accompanied by nursery rhymes.

12. spiderman0616 macrumors 68040

spiderman0616

1) Bending/folding screens are really cool tech. I think they have a future in mobile and non-mobile devices.
    2) I don't mind Apple not jumping on this first, because most of these first tries are going to range from bad to terrible. Samsung's might have more polish than the rest.
    3) Prepare for LOTS of click bait, hit pieces, hot takes, and bad PR from the tech media (this very site will probably be one of the ones leading the charge) for the duration of 2019, and probably most of 2020, claiming that Apple is toast without a folding phone.

13. Soccertess macrumors 65816

I’m interested to see how this will play out. Might be a gimmick so eager to see how they implement.

This is my prediction: Apple’s response will be: we don’t like this tech and our customers won’t either (similar to larger phones & Qi), than in 5 years they will adopt, have hardware issues and blame customers they are folding it wrong.

14. mcfrazieriv macrumors 6502a

mcfrazieriv

Can't wait to design for yet another screen size on Android.

15. spiderman0616 macrumors 68040

spiderman0616

Like I said above.

16. swm macrumors regular

if this is so big deal, then why don't they left the "wow" effect for the event?

17. Classie macrumors member

I can’t imagine the benefits of a foldable phone and my Apple reflexes says that no one can do things better than Apple ;) ... but color me intrigued!! New tec is always cool and this could be the first time there is a real differential feature between the brands.

18. rmoliv macrumors 6502a

They can shove that stupid foldable phone... Why would anyone want that?

19. Alan Wynn macrumors regular

Their microLED panels were 6” x 6” and pretty thick. They were pretty nice and the seam was hard to see. Given they do not need to be wall mounted, they could get a bit thinner, but I am not sure we are there yet. :-D

20. MKevin3 macrumors newbie

MKevin3

I remember when Samsung came out with split screen mode on the phone. I got a lot of use out of it. Later Google made it part of Android. Google seems to at least want to stay slightly ahead of this game by supporting folded / unfolded views in the newer SDK. Samsung is more bleeding edge on Android than Google is in a number of areas - various settings, a stylus, etc.

While I like split screen mode unsure if I care about foldable. Anything that folds takes a lot of wear and tear which is my biggest worry. Someone has to be the pioneer. The idea of having tablet size screen space when I want it sounds cool but the thickness when folded does not look optimal for phone usage. I do hope they release one so the industry can start refining it.

21. Nozuka macrumors 68020

Might be useful in a few years. I can see this replace the iPad Mini completely

22. RecentlyConverted macrumors 6502a

I bet if Apple bring one out you will buy it.

23. calzon65 macrumors 6502a

calzon65

24. Doomtomb macrumors 6502

Doomtomb

Apple will license this after Samsung users beta test it.

A real win-win

25. RecentlyConverted macrumors 6502a

For those saying its too thick, the device shown was a early prototype, which the demonstrator said was heavily disguised. Its likely the finished article will be much sleeker. Imaging an iphone in your pocket, that unfolds to an iPad. What a great piece of hardware (just need iOS to catch up).