Samsung Again Teases Foldable Smartphone Ahead of February 20 Event

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 11, 2019 at 12:21 PM.

1. givemeanapple macrumors Demi-God

givemeanapple

No, I "predicted" Apple following Samsung's trends and it shows.

2. DNichter macrumors 604

DNichter

I am not interested in it's current form. I will wait until the hardware is thinner and the software is more ready for prime time. Cool concept, just not there yet. I am sure Apple has similar concepts, but they are wise to wait it out. I am not expecting much of a market for this.

3. givemeanapple macrumors Demi-God

givemeanapple

A big screen is also BS, oh wait, who knew right? Not Apple I guess. ;)

4. TonnyM macrumors member

So now having huge bezels with tiny screen will be cool

5. Johns12 macrumors regular

kind of amazing how many people trash new tech that hasn't been released or seen yet :)

6. slide_to_unlock macrumors newbie

slide_to_unlock

Not going to lie. Samsung is more innovative these days while Apple is drooling over $$$$. I would still not buy this though because Android.

7. adamski23 macrumors regular

Hardware has never been Samsung’s problem, it’s software that generally tarnishes the experience for most.

8. givemeanapple macrumors Demi-God

givemeanapple

Are you using a Galaxy S2? Because from what you speak about Samsung's software it seems like... Ever used a newer device? You know all the "new" features introduced in the latest Android updates are taken from the "Awful Samsung Software"? That counts as user experience.

9. spiderman0616 macrumors 68040

spiderman0616

Because Apple doesn't make big screen iPhones? Or does it only count if you're first?
    --- Post Merged, Feb 11, 2019 at 1:49 PM ---
    Also amazing how many people claim it to be revolutionary also without having seen/used it yet.

10. givemeanapple macrumors Demi-God

givemeanapple

You either don't understand sarcasm or reply too fast to read and understand my comment in order to reformulate a come back...

11. macduke macrumors G3

macduke

So, uhhh, is it going to have a big seam down the middle or what?

12. 69Mustang macrumors 603

69Mustang

No and sorta yes. OLED is not killing it in the TV space. LG and Sony are the only major brands actively supporting OLED TV's and it's mostly LG. It's still too cost prohibitive for main stream adoption. OLED is sorta killing it in smartphones. It's still more expensive than LCD but the cost is not as prohibitive as it used to be. Samsung seems to be pushing mLED in the TV space as a prelude to moving it to the phone space. If anyone is going to do it, they seem as likely as any. Display tech is where they're pretty good.

13. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

How can you say that when no one has even seen the actual device?
    A heavily obscured prototype in what was clearly a basic box designed to only show of the tech is always going to be ugly.
    I'll wait to pass judgment on the released product.

If it looks anything like the one in their last sneak peak video, I'll be impressed.

[​IMG]
    --- Post Merged, Feb 11, 2019 at 2:02 PM ---
    If the screen is based on the tech they showed in November... no, no seam.

[​IMG]

14. jamesrick80, Feb 11, 2019 at 2:10 PM
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2019 at 2:15 PM

jamesrick80 macrumors 68020

jamesrick80

Someone speaks the truth...people talk about slow updates on Samsung phones but its Google's Android (and other OEMs) who takes all of Samsung's ideas and eventually places them as a standard in their OS when Samsung users most likely had the feature for years.....

You're not missing anything from Samsung....im happy with security updates...i really am not asking for more in the software department...its more polished than ever now...and can only keep getting better.

Oh yeah, don't forget a couple of those well known Chinese companies stole some of samsung's foldable tech........ironic right.

#DoWhatYouCan't ;););)

15. jonblatho macrumors 6502a

jonblatho

The last iPhone to have been thinner than its predecessor was the iPhone 6. The iPhone X, XS, XS Max, and XR are all thicker than the iPhone 5. This trope is exhausting.

16. macduke macrumors G3

macduke

But, like, the whole commercial was all about a big seam down the middle. I ARE CONFUSE, lol.

17. Baymowe335 macrumors 68040

Yeah, who cares if it works! A foldable screen is true innovation because, well, it folds!

18. givemeanapple macrumors Demi-God

givemeanapple

Who knew phablets would work?... Not Apple.
    #applepencilisbig

19. tridley68 macrumors 6502a

tridley68

Not even remotely interested in a folding had a flip phone years ago and i will never go back to them.

20. tallii4 macrumors newbie

Its like you don't realize that Apple has these things in the work likely simultaneously. The difference is that Apple usually waits to have something work well before releasing it, unlike other companies.

21. givemeanapple macrumors Demi-God

givemeanapple

Samsung has been working on a foldable phone for years, since 2012 what the heck are you talking about.

22. KPandian1 macrumors 65816

Again, Apple is the company that can't get the cable connecting via the hinge properly - costing more than $600 to replace because of their engineering ingenuity!

That screen defies physics - just look at a spine of a book (what is that?) after two weeks of use.

23. ckhris1613 macrumors regular

Yeah because this is just like a flip phone

24. tallii4 macrumors newbie

I'm referring to your general attitude about Apple copying Samsung technology. It's not copying if both companies are working on similar things at similar times. The difference is that in the past Samsung has released some half assed features for the sake of being first, when first isn't necessarily better. You know that outside of Apple or Samsung there are other companies working on this same concept, and have been for several years as well, right?

25. givemeanapple macrumors Demi-God

givemeanapple

Apple has been proved to lately do everything Samsung has been doing like, big screens,OLED, smartwatch, wireless earpods, pencil and so on. Your argument doesn't stick, we're not the iPhone 4 era anymore.