Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

az431

Suspended
Sep 13, 2008
Portland, OR
No shortage of illogical comments today.

So, help me out here... Does that mean Samsung doesn't have to pay the $539 mil?

I wonder what the lawyer costs were for all those years...

It seems a bit illogical to settle and still pay the award, no?
[doublepost=1530128306][/doublepost]
No surprised.
You can't piss off your biggest supplier or your largest customer.
Samsung is Apple's largest supplier, from displays, to memory, former boundary and other components.
Apple is one of Samsung's best customers.

Even though there is a wall between the components and smartphone divisions; there is no wall between the profits.

What you stated makes no sense given that they've been battling each other for years.

Reactions: chabig and JPack

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
No shortage of illogical comments today.
It seems a bit illogical to settle and still pay the award, no?

My question wasn't a comment, it was a question. I don't know, that's why I asked. Question != comment, speaking of illogical comments. ;)

Other people are asking how much they settled for as well.

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
Classic stuff. A who has the bigger appendage contest that ends with both giving each other a reach around. And a bunch of attorneys get to buy a bigger boat.

Figured a 3rd or 4th house at this point... <cough> - and yeah a bigger boat too.

brock2621

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2007
Kentucky
I wonder if Apple got a credit against its parts bill instead of the judgement. A credit would be non-taxable for apple and a non-cash expense for Samsung, which would be a win-win.

Be careful posting stuff like this. You're going to get people starting to bash this idea as a "loophole" or Apple "not paying their fair share;" somehow using a completely legal "strategy" in our tax system built by our government is morally wrong blah blah blah....

Reactions: raghu8912

Will.O.Bie

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2016
Lol ... man with your emoticon and that line ... looks to be an awesome settling.

PS: Apple needs to bring the Joker emoticon to iPhone X and Animoji!

There's a "Joker" in all of us just waiting to surface and show it's true form.

And yes on the Joker animoji! That would be the ONLY time I would ever use that feature.

Reactions: DeepIn2U

mcfrazieriv

macrumors 65816
Jan 30, 2012
I bet Cook folded. This was a dispute that really was the brain child of the former leader.

Now he can spend 100% of his time on politics and watch bands.

Reactions: DeepIn2U

BaltimoreMediaBlog

Suspended
Jul 30, 2015
DC / Baltimore / Northeast
Clearly Tim Cook was bullied as a child and is used to saying "Uncle."

Steve Jobs would have been arguing for a higher interest rate on the judgement due to the time involved.
Might even have had a Samsung Judgment Ticker on his desk the longer it went on.

Glideslope

macrumors 604
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
I wonder if Apple got a credit against its parts bill instead of the judgement. A credit would be non-taxable for apple and a non-cash expense for Samsung, which would be a win-win.

My thought on this would be a solid yes. :apple:
[doublepost=1530130714][/doublepost]
I bet Cook folded. This was a dispute that really was the brain child of the former leader.

Now he can spend 100% of his time on politics and watch bands.

More “Dining with Donald.” :rolleyes:

Bacillus

Suspended
Jun 25, 2009
The case got over-complicated as Samsung went to copy all Apple's claims while Apple sat down to copy all Samsung designs...
So Apple started to copy ideas that Samsung got copied from Apple itself and the whole litigation almost burned down from overheated copiers that copied copies into copied material that appeared copied.
Each company now has 10k employees tumbling over and running circles around each other to find the originals
My sincerest compliments to Cook - the visionary of this timeframe - who runs this all behind the scenes

Last edited:

cmwade77

macrumors 65816
Nov 18, 2008
Here is my guess as to what went on:
Apple: Please don't sue us for copying the S8/Note 8 line of phones with the iPhone X (which is a blatant copy by the way)

Samsung: Ok, then drop the lawsuit you have against us claiming we copied some of your older iPhones and you can even keep the money we already gave you.

Apple: (Realizes this is the best offer they have ever received as Samsung could have stopped iPhone X sales cold) Ok, not problem, we will let the courts know right after you sign this agreement stating that.

santaliqueur

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2007
I doubt it, as Samsung Mobile and Samsung Manufacturing are pretty distinct entities with contracts in place. Wasn't there a story about one arm of Samsung suing itself a few years ago?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.