Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Earlier today, Samsung and Google announced that they would be canceling a previously-scheduled event set for Tuesday at which the companies were planning to introduce the Nexus Prime, the first handset to run Google's latest "Ice Cream Sandwich" version of Android.
Samsung and Google decide to postpone the new product announcement at CTIA Fall. We agree that it is just not the right time to announce a new product. New date and venue will be shortly announced.
Speculation immediately turned to the possibility that the companies delayed the launch out of respect for Steve Jobs, who passed away on Wednesday, although the companies did not offer an explanation for the event cancelation.

jobs-500x334.jpg

AllThingsD now reports that Samsung and Google did indeed cancel the event due to Jobs' death, feeling that the launch would be inappropriate given the mourning process still going on throughout the tech industry and the world.
The decision to postpone things was made late last night at the top levels of both companies, sources said, with Jobs' death being the reason. There are no delays with the product itself, sources insisted.
For its part, Apple has continued with its launch plans for the iPhone 4S, introducing the device on Tuesday even as company executives likely knew that Jobs' passing was imminent. Pre-orders for the iPhone 4S began early today as scheduled, with availability set for next Friday, October 14th in the initial batch of launch countries.

Article Link: Samsung and Google Delay Android Handset Launch in Wake of Steve Jobs' Death

r2shyyou

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2010
Paris, France
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/9A334)

That's respect.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/9A334)

That's respect.

Agreed. Say what you want about google and samsung. But this was a classy move.

DESNOS

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2011
I doubt steve himself knew how much people loved him. Even the competitors loved the man. Steve was never afraid to offer advice to friends and enemies alike.

tempusfugit

macrumors 65816
May 21, 2009
Chicago
Very classy on both samsung and google's parts. They battled and competed with him while he lived but they obviously respected his contributions to the world of technology and the world in general.

JSpence

macrumors regular
Oct 4, 2007
Orlando, FL
Wow. Class.

It's great to see someone stop and admit it. Damn, this hurts.

I thought I would've gotten over the down feeling in a day, I'm usually pretty quick as a man. But like so many others, for someone I didn't know at all, Steve's passing is not something small. This man changed the world.

They just earned themselves a little more respect in my book. You've got to give it to get it.

CptnJustc

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2007
Nice, but I don't think etiquette required that. Maybe there was a lot of anti-Apple marketing / rhetoric involved in the original plans?

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Very classy on both samsung and google's parts. They battled and competed with him while he lived but they obviously respeced his contributions to the world of technology and the world in general.

It's business and not personal. As it should be. But what makes this classy is that this decision was personal.

davie18

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2010
I doubt steve himself knew how much people loved him. Even the competitors loved the man. Steve was never afraid to offer advice to friends and enemies alike.
Enemies? That's a bit of a strong word, I think sticking to 'competitors' is better.

Lotusman

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2010
...and this despite the humungous patent battle going on...

Classy move indeed - respect well deserved. :apple:

Mr. Pezman

macrumors member
Aug 19, 2011
Sorry But I'm Skeptical

I hate to belittle the possibility of these companies doing something "nice" but to me it all sounds like, "this is a great excuse for delaying our release while we work like crazy to "catch-up" or put together a better product to actually compete with Apple's new phone. All the while making ourselves look good."

This is not respect - it's politics and PR.

rorschach

macrumors 68020
Jul 27, 2003

Actually, I think it's more likely that it's the fans of these companies who don't realize that.

It's the "fanboys" who make it personal, whereas the people creating these products know (for the most part) that the competition is just business. Steve Jobs and Bill Gates never hated each other like Apple and Microsoft fanboys have hated each other.

Macman74

macrumors member
Mar 15, 2010
What's even nicer is that Apple maintained their launch schedule of the iPhone. I've got to believe that's what Steve would have wanted!

Joe-Diver

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2009
Very classy move indeed....just goes to show that beyond all the competition and patent bickering there is a genuine respect.

+2 notches in my book for them. (although still way down the list)

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
Nice, but I don't think etiquette required that. Maybe there was a lot of anti-Apple marketing / rhetoric involved in the original plans?

Well, considering they are announcing a device that pretty much destroys the iPhone 4S on every spec (you can get a preview by looking at the SGS II HD announced in Korea just a few weeks ago), with an updated OS that iOS still has to catch up to, with features Apple can only dream of (Google Wallet/NFC) and they were doing it 2 days before the launch of the iPhone 4S... Yeah I'd say it was a move to steal Apple's thunder.

Too bad it won't buy them any sympathy in here.

orestev

macrumors newbie
May 2, 2007
Uhm respect??
Simply they don't want their new products to compete with the iphone 4s now!
They just need more time for planning their next moves!!

zama36

macrumors member
Mar 21, 2007
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

CptnJustc said:

Agree with you on that one. I bet there was something in the marketing that would have provoked a backlash considering Jobs' passing.

splidge

macrumors member
Aug 15, 2007
With a cynical hat on there is also going to be even more competition for headlines than usual next week. You don't want your shiny new phone announcement up against Jobs' funeral.

Not saying that's why they did it, but it's win-win for them as they are rightly getting positive press for their sensitivity.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.