Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacNewsFix

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2007
Twin Cities
Apple flew the pirate flag at its HQ's for years for a reason.

In the event you were not kidding, per Andy Hertzfeld of Google and formally of Apple:

I think the "pirates" remark addressed the feeling among some of the earlier team members that the Mac group was getting too large and bureaucratic. We had started out as a rebellious skunkworks, much like Apple itself, and Steve wanted us to preserve our original spirit even as we were growing more like the Navy every day.

rhinosrcool

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2009
MN
Am I the only one who doesn't really care about hd display? The resolution on ipad 2 is more than enough for me

Reading books, looking at pictures, using maps, and many other ways a higher resolution screen is desirable.

The iPhone 4 has made me realise that a high res display is really great for reading text on. Just one example would be the magazine apps on the iPad at the moment; they would really benefit from sharper text, as they would get that much closer to matching the quality of printed magazines.

Yes. Magazine apps would look vastly superior. I really want a higher resolution screen. Bring it on!

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
That's because you are not looking at a small typeface.

There are simply not enough pixels on the screen to resolve the detail that some apps have attempted to use.

It's not a case of liking or not liking it, it's a simple fact.
You can't create a smooth typeface that's easy to read without enough pixels to make a clear structure of the individual character.

It also depends on the orientation of the iPad. Text doesn't look the same in landscape or portrait mode. With double the resolution you wouldn't see any difference anymore.

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
there is no fixed DPI definition for "retina display"

In order for this screen to be referred to as a Reina display, it needs to be higher than 300 PPI, which it's not.

Wrong. "Retina display" is a function of DPI and typical viewing distance - not a fixed DPI. An Ipad is typically held further away than a phone, so "retina display" for an Ipad would be a lower DPI.

JackAxe

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2004
In a cup of orange juice.
Wrong. "Retina display" is a function of DPI and typical viewing distance - not a fixed DPI. An Ipad is typically held further away than a phone, so "retina display" for an Ipad would be a lower DPI.

WRONG! Got you back.

But no, going by all the hype and marketing FLUFF from last years RETINA hoopla, It was because the screen was over 300 PPI -- we're talking about pixels here, not print.

My Nexus One has a 254 PPI display, but it's not applicable for this so-called RETINA moniker.

Anyways, put the use of RETINA in the context of Apple's marketing fluff, not what makes sense.

Don Kosak

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2010
Hilo, Hawaii
Image to show what i mean - http://twitpic.com/5s4jwl

Carl, iOS on the iPhone 4 scales the images up to maintain the layout of the web pages while presenting the text in full resolution.

If you have an iPad you can see this "layout preserving" scale feature by loading up your Google homepage example in landscape, (1024 pixels wide), then rotating your iPad to portrait (768 pixels wide).

When you rotate the screen, you'll notice the 270 pixel Google logo has been scaled so that it occupies the same ratio of the screen as before.

On the iPhone 4 (and future iPad HD or what ever they call it) you don't notice that some images are scaled as they have the same "pixels per inch" as on your desktop even when scaled.

If you had an iPhone 3G/3GS and an iPhone 4 side by side, you could measure the Google logo and they would be exactly the same width and height on both displays, even though the iPhone 4 has quadruple the pixels. Both logos would look identical, even though one is scaled -- and I mean totally optically identical, even under a magnifying glass. The text on the iPhone 4 would look significantly better though, as four times as many pixels are used for each letter.

So basically what I'm saying is that iOS is smart about page layout and images and works behind the scene to make sure that people don't experience the sample image you composited.

Form elements also have their dimensions doubled - so you can still press the submit button, or type inside fields.

Hope this clears up how Retina displays work in the browser on iOS devices.

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009

While it's true that iPads are hold at a different distance than iPhones, the difference is negligible. That's because both are held by the same arms :) Try holding any device too close or too far - and your arms will punish you. Both devices using touch interface the distance must be close. I saw estimates that iPhones are held on average at 13...15" and iPads - 15...18" which sounds about right. "Retina" marketing language aside, pixel density as seen by user will still be lower on iPad. On the other hand, I believe that iPhone pixel density is excessive and was driven by the need to double the resolution (in each dimension) while keeping the screen size. It's probably a waste of money and some resources (memory, GPU, battery) for a phone to have such resolution. The display is very sharp but it probably would be just as sharp if it had a little lower resolution.

-LikesMac-

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2010
"Retina Display" bad term

I really don't like the term "Retina Display" because its definition is too variable and subjective to the user.
See, Retina Display for iPhone Screen is 300+ PPI, but held at X distance away from screen.
Retina Display for iPad is 260 PPI but held at XX distance away from screen.

You could say a TV display is retina if you watch it from triple-X distance!!!! :eek:

Apple just HAD to go and do their marketing thing :rolleyes:

Sure, it is a cool name that got the people, but when it gets down to technical details it basically talks about some high PPI and a certain distance to make individual pixels not discernible to the human eye.

A real "retina display" definition, if any, would be such that looking at the screen right up close (before human eye starts getting the blurred-up-close view) won't show any individual pixels.

With all that said, I know what you guys are talking about when you say "Retina Display".

I hope iPad 3 has doubled-res (expensive??)

MAC OS X NEEDS RESOLUTION INDEPENDENCE

kdarling

macrumors P6
In the event you were not kidding, per Andy Hertzfeld of Google and formally of Apple:

I think the "pirates" remark addressed the feeling among some of the earlier team members that the Mac group was getting too large and bureaucratic. We had started out as a rebellious skunkworks, much like Apple itself, and Steve wanted us to preserve our original spirit even as we were growing more like the Navy every day.

Jef Raskin, proponent of easier consumer computers and originator of the Mac project, claimed that:

"After he took over, Jobs came up with the story about the Mac project being a "pirate operation."

We weren't trying to keep the project away from Apple, as he later said; we had very good ties with the rest of Apple. We were trying to keep the project away from Jobs' meddling.

For the first two years, Jobs wanted to kill the (Mac) project because he didn't understand what it was really all about
."

Ijustfarted

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2011
Really hope it doesn't release this year. What happened to 2011 being the year of the iPad 2? Just more lies? Just keep a full fledged iPad 3 for 2012, I hate the idea of a regular and pro version for the iPad, it's a simple product so keep the choices simple. Also, don't want to sell my iPad 2 this quickly :(

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009
Really hope it doesn't release this year. What happened to 2011 being the year of the iPad 2? Just more lies? Just keep a full fledged iPad 3 for 2012, I hate the idea of a regular and pro version for the iPad, it's a simple product so keep the choices simple. Also, don't want to sell my iPad 2 this quickly :(

Do you know that you do not have to buy every Apple product?

RobertMartens

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2002
Tokyo, Japan

Haven't you noticed how the iPad is square-ish. And kind of looks like a piece of paper.The other companies have tried to differentiate themselves by going to 16x9 but that just makes them awkward looking and awkward to hold. These tablets are not usually considered to be dedicated movie players.

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
While it's true that iPads are hold at a different distance than iPhones, the difference is negligible. That's because both are held by the same arms :)

Don't know about your arms, but mine bend. I hold my iPad much further away from my face than my iPhone. just looking around at people in public, it seems I am not alone.

RobertMartens

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2002
Tokyo, Japan
I used to say something similar about the green screen CRT on my IBM PC back in the day...

I still feel that the CRT is better than flat panel screens.
Brighter and sharper. I think because CRT and TV tubes lived in the pre-digital world that they never got to show off how great they were. I have an old 29 inch CRT TV connect to a digital cable tv with converter downstair and a similar size LCD upstairs and I think the old TV looks better.

Granted is uses more electricity, has electromagnetic waves, is waaaay too fat and weighs a ton but picture-wise it looks great.

RobertMartens

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2002
Tokyo, Japan
In order for this screen to be referred to as a Reina display, it needs to be higher than 300 PPI, which it's not.

Did you look up Retina Display in some scientific journal? What did it say?

I looked up this bit in The Register,

"a 20/20 vision display needs a resolution of 286 dpi or higher at 12 inches and 344 dpi at 10 inches. The iPhone 4 has 326 dpi"

The iPad probably is held at about 18 inches so doesn't need much better resolution, but I think the catch is that although you don't usually hold the iPad near your eyes, occaisonally you do and when you do it reveals the imperfections and that makes you feel that the resolution is not good enough.

Kind of like walking up to a tv in the store and examining it from six inches away.

RobertMartens

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2002
Tokyo, Japan
What happened to 2011 being the year of the iPad 2? Just more lies? (

What were the lies that you are talking about?

BTW Apple never promised they wouldn't make another iPad this year. They never promised anything. Not even an iPhone 5. All information here is just various stories that are made up by lots of different people. NOT APPLE.

kdarling

macrumors P6
"Retina display" is a function of DPI and typical viewing distance - not a fixed DPI. An Ipad is typically held further away than a phone, so "retina display" for an Ipad would be a lower DPI.

Yep. It's all about how much of an angle that a set of adjacent pixels subtends to the eye.

As Jobs commented (from my own transcription) at the iPhone 4 debut, that depends on the distance :

"It turns out there's a magic number right around 300 ppi that when you hold something about 10-12" away from your eye, it's the limit of the human retina to differentiate the pixels."

Of course, that's for a theoretical person with average vision. Interestingly, if a person has excellent vision, it turns out that the "retina" distance for 300ppi is more like 18".

Of course, Raskin's vision of Mac was quite different than the Mac that we eventually came to know.

Very true!

ma2ha3

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2007
such high density, might mean a lot of dead pixels.

i have two samsung lcd monitors both have red dead pixels in the middle of the screen.
yeah if i would buy this unknown ipad, i will check it out first before buying, i dun trust samsung lcd qc.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010

Should Apple scrap all it's different MacBook versions and just sell one model with the same screen size but just with some memory variations to keep it simple?

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
I still feel that the CRT is better than flat panel screens.
Brighter and sharper. I think because CRT and TV tubes lived in the pre-digital world that they never got to show off how great they were. I have an old 29 inch CRT TV connect to a digital cable tv with converter downstair and a similar size LCD upstairs and I think the old TV looks better.

Granted is uses more electricity, has electromagnetic waves, is waaaay too fat and weighs a ton but picture-wise it looks great.

SED screens were going to blow LCD's etc out the water.
Don't know what happened to them.

http://www.slashgear.com/sed-next-generation-flat-screen-display-192136/

http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/sed-tv.htm

I think the problem is, LCD's are just too cheap.
Yes, they are a bit nasty, but they are good enough, and now, as I say too cheap to allow anything better to come along, and anything better will be considered to expensive in comparison.

It's like we've dug a hole of cheapness and fallen into it.

gooddog

macrumors regular
Mar 22, 2002
And to go with that display .... better cameras ?

I took snapshots of my graduating students with my iPad2 and the resolution was awful ! I could not zoom in at all without getting unrecognizable blobs.

The camera on the back of this thing could make a great tool for taking pictures of student work on their desktops, as I walk around the room, and email these directly to other teachers or parents. In math, we use tiny subscripts, fine-mesh graph paper, exponents, etc. These do not come out well, especially in a dimly lit room (media projector).

A good camera could be great for RedLaser scanning of bar codes to take inventory with a screen that old geezers like me can read.

This camera ought not be relegated to a toy status.

I use iGradebook for Teachers and it attaches pics to student records. But, because we are strictly prohibited from sending student portraits through the internets tubes, I can not very easily take 100 un-captioned portraits on my iPhone and then transfer them to the iPad2.

We need a good back-side camera on the iPad2.

If we are to have a low-res camera, make it the one that we use for iChat: the years have not been kind to me and the more blur the better; even if I look like a UFO.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.