Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pgiguere1

macrumors 68020
May 28, 2009
Montreal, Canada
"Think Different, first"

"Become LAST at their own game."

Last at their own game?

The 15" rMBP is still highest-resolution laptop on the market after almost a year of availability.

Most of your posts seem like trolling. Apple has flaws but being last in the display game is not one of them. IMO they are first by a very long shot.

tevion5

macrumors 68000
Jul 12, 2011
Ireland
Lots of "inspiration" going on in laptop design at the moment. Seriously, there must be literally an infinite number of designs someone could make for a laptop and surely many better than Apple. How uncreative does your design department have to be to produce stuff like this HP?

hp_g62t_468.jpg

meme-are-you-kidding-me.png

ufwa

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2011
The MBA 11.6" has a 16:9 ratio, so those new displays would be suitable for them. I guess when the author said that Apple's line of notebooks uses 16:10 ratios, they were referring to the retina lineup?

the 11" macbook air is the only macbook that has a 16:9 ratio. Kinda makes it easy to forget.

every other model is 16:10. They probably they couldn't source 11.6" panel that was 16:10

Kissaragi

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2006
Nice to see this starting to spread to more and more systems, in a few years hopefully it'll be the norm on all but budget machines.

flottenheimer

macrumors 68000
Jan 8, 2008
Up north
Increased light transmittance also means lower rates of energy consumption, with IGZO technology reducing the amount of power required to drive liquid crystals during the display of still images.

So, what happens when dealing with moving images?
And are moving windows around, resizing, bringing up new browser windows, playing a YouTube video, scrolling through MacRumors etc. considered moving images or still images?

pgiguere1

macrumors 68020
May 28, 2009
Montreal, Canada
The Chromebook Pixel has it beat on that front. It's by an insignificant, nigh unnoticeable amount (239 vs. the 226 DPI for the 13" Pro), but still better for the spec sheet braggarts.

You seem to be mixing up resolution and pixel density. But it's okay, Google does too.
Also, there's more to display quality than pixel density. It seems to be the new megapixel war in the mobile device world.

Millah

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2008
The Chromebook Pixel has it beat on that front. It's by an insignificant, nigh unnoticeable amount (239 vs. the 226 DPI for the 13" Pro), but still better for the spec sheet braggarts.

Note how the person you quoted said 15" rMBP

Anti-Lucifer

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2012
Last at their own game?

The 15" rMBP is still highest-resolution laptop on the market after almost a year of availability.

Most of your posts seem like trolling. Apple has flaws but being last in the display game is not one of them. IMO they are first by a very long shot.

What's trolling? You? Accept the truths. Apple is first when it comes to pushing for new technology such as pointless retina laptop screens. But obviously they are outgunned in the same department by others and apple refuses to improve anymore.

It's so obvious, look at the iphone 5. It's not even 1080p. Sure it don't matter for a puny 4" screen size but other's are already at 1080p.

Look at the thunderbolt ports. WORSE than the firewire 800 ports because at least I can afford a few of the FW800 drives, I can barely justify the price of a single TB drive. Look at USB 3.0 ports - only the most recent models include that.

Sure apple likes to praise themselves for being first to introduce forward thinking new tech but they are always LAST when other companies come dumping their higher res, much improved tech on top of all apple products.

macrumors 601
May 19, 2011
Does this indicate that we could possibly even see a higher PPI rMBP soon? If Apple are going to compete with these sort of products properly?

Apple Knowledge Navigator

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2010
If Apple baked a cake and put spinkles on top, Samsung would copy the recipe and pour twice as many sprinkles on top.

They would then claim it tastes better for it.

Renzatic

Suspended
Note how the person you quoted said 15" rMBP

Both sport the same resolution screen. Referencing the 13" rMBP as a comparison is actually a little more fair, since it has a higher DPI than the 15".

Edit: err...I take that back. The 15" Pro does have a higher res screen. I thought they were both 2880x1800. Though it still has a lower pixel density than the 13" at 220 DPI.

----------

You seem to be mixing up resolution and pixel density. But it's okay, Google does too.
Also, there's more to display quality than pixel density. It seems to be the new megapixel war in the mobile device world.

Either way you look at it, it's all just a numbers game. Very few people will be able to tell a huge amount of difference between the retina 2880x1800 vs. the Chromebook's 2560x1700 display.

Though honestly, DPI is a more important metric for determining clarity. 1280x800 might sound low res on paper, but it's crystal clear on a 5" display.

And no, display quality isn't just about resolution. You've also gotta take color gamut, viewing angle, nits, and other factors into account. Resolution is one part of a much larger whole.

pgiguere1

macrumors 68020
May 28, 2009
Montreal, Canada
What's trolling? You? Accept the truths. Apple is first when it comes to pushing for new technology such as pointless retina laptop screens. But obviously they are outgunned in the same department by others and apple refuses to improve anymore.

It's so obvious, look at the iphone 5. It's not even 1080p. Sure it don't matter for a puny 4" screen size but other's are already at 1080p.

Look at the thunderbolt ports. WORSE than the firewire 800 ports because at least I can afford a few of the FW800 drives, I can barely justify the price of a single TB drive. Look at USB 3.0 ports - only the most recent models include that.

Sure apple likes to praise themselves for being first to introduce forward thinking new tech but they are always LAST when other companies come dumping their higher res, much improved tech on top of all apple products.

Wait hold on.

You're saying pushing 220PPI laptop screens rather than the crappy 1366x768 panels the rest of the industry are using is useless.

Then, a single paragraph later, you're saying the iPhone should be 1080p (550PPI), which is basically overkill by a long shot even if you have 20/20 vision and hold your iPhone up to your eye's near point, and would absolutely kill battery life and compatibility with older apps.

Then, you're calling a technology bad because you can't afford it, even though you're not the target market of said technology.

Then you act like Samsung/Sharp has actually announced/released those high-res laptops, proving you haven't even read the article you're commenting on.

Yet I am trolling?

:confused::confused:

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
Does this indicate that we could possibly even see a higher PPI rMBP soon? If Apple are going to compete with these sort of products properly?

Hopefully not. if retina is supposed to represent an inability to distinguish individual pixels, packing pixels in even tighter shouldn't yield any additional (visible) benefit. This is not a MHz, Ghz race (unless our eyes are significantly evolved, which occurs at biological speed vs technological speed). Maybe in 30,000 tears or so, human eyes might be able to see "super-retina" display detail.

Last edited:

neutrino23

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2003
SF Bay area
So, what happens when dealing with moving images?
And are moving windows around, resizing, bringing up new browser windows, playing a YouTube video, scrolling through MacRumors etc. considered moving images or still images?

I think the point was to give one meaningful data point. Putting dynamics aside, they claim the display passes more light meaning less power goes to the backlight. To consider all the dynamics of the display would require a report, not a press release.

They have been talking about IGZO for a while. Nice to see it finally released. I hope it makes it to the next version of rMBP.

It would be nice to see this in a new Thunderbolt Display or iMac. We don't need super high resolution here as with the iPad just push it up so that text gets rendered clearly.

pgiguere1

macrumors 68020
May 28, 2009
Montreal, Canada
Either way you look at it, it's all just a numbers game. Very few people will be able to tell a huge amount of difference between the retina 2880x1800 vs. the Chromebook's 2560x1700 display.

Though honestly, DPI is a more important metric for determining clarity. 1280x800 might sound low res on paper, but it's crystal clear on a 5" display.

And no, display quality isn't just about resolution. You've also gotta take color gamut, viewing angle, nits, and other factors into account. Resolution is one part of a much larger whole.

I agree with all of that. At this point a slight resolution/density difference is negligible.

The big move was really to double the PPI at once, which is what Apple initiated. That's why I'm really confused about the other guy's negativity towards Apple when it comes to displays.

aristotle

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2007
Canada
Ok, can someone explain to me why those other companies are insisting on sticking with the 16:9 ratio for their laptop displays? Once you go beyond 1920X1080p, staying at that ratio makes less sense. Even at 1920, it would make more sense to go with 16:10 unless if you intend to just "consume" video.

If you are trying to scrub through a 1080p video, you would want extra pixels for your editing controls. Even if you are at a resolution of 2880, you would want as much vertical space as possible when editing 1080p or 2k video.

The main point I am trying to make is that higher resolutions offer the ability to view 1080p video as well as timelines and other editing controls so making a 16:9 display only serves to cut down on how much information you can see on the screen at once in an editor whereas watching 1080p video will be scaled regardless of whether it is a HiDPI 16:10 or 16:9 resolution.

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
Just another "I can do it too" gimmick.

Not really. Its an 'ok we can now add this feature as its finally affordable'.

This is how technology works. You get an early adopter (in this case Apple) and then when it's proven to be viable, others follow suite.

Without this we'd still all be hunched over a 12" CRT screen looking at a command line, whilst wearing ear defenders to drown out the sound of the dot matrix printer.

Yamcha

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2008
Personally, I think the ChromeBook Pixel looks amazing, even better than the Macbook in some ways. But the OS, specifications & price are the downfall..

ValSalva

macrumors 68040
Jun 26, 2009
Burpelson AFB
What's so sacred about 16:9? Can't these same displays be cut to 16:10 so they could hypothetically be used by Apple for the MBP?

ikir

macrumors 68020
Sep 26, 2007

No he is right you're just trolling. I hope for you that you're trolling, otherwise you don't have a clue about tech, market, thunderbolt, display.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.