Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

heisetax

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2004
Omaha, NE
iTunes on the iPod

Sorry to burst your bubble guys, but hard drives are old school and Apple knows it. The failure rates are higher, they limit the device size, and they use too much power.

With the amount of flash that Apple is picking up, one can only conclude that there will be no more hdds in future iPods. Don't forget the flash based laptops that they are working on.

If you do the math, I think the next gen high-end nano will sport 16G flash and the next gen video will sport 16G and 32G of flash.

I stinks that the users used to the 60/80G configurations will have to take a hit to keep up with technology.

With the way that iTunes works for me, I want my iPod to be as large as my iTunes music file is on my computer. Then when it syncs together I do not lose any files on my iPod. The last time I had my iPod on manual update to add music, the iPod was erased & only the new music that I added that day was left on my iPod. With my 60GB iPod only being USB2, that took a long time to rerecord 50+GB of music.

Maybe I need something else other than iTunes or the iPod. Any ideas what to replace them with? The new iPod+6 with a 2.5" 320GB hard drive?

Bill the TaxMan

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
With the way that iTunes works for me, I want my iPod to be as large as my iTunes music file is on my computer. Then when it syncs together I do not lose any files on my iPod. The last time I had my iPod on manual update to add music, the iPod was erased & only the new music that I added that day was left on my iPod. With my 60GB iPod only being USB2, that took a long time to rerecord 50+GB of music.

Maybe I need something else other than iTunes or the iPod. Any ideas what to replace them with? The new iPod+6 with a 2.5" 320GB hard drive?

Bill the TaxMan

:eek: you can get 320gb 2.5'??? or did you mean 3.5'?

JGowan

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2003
Mineola TX
Creative's Zen at the time of the iPod debut was 10 gb. Apple was one of the first companies to implement 1.8" drives in consumer devices.
I totally remember that. Namely, because a friend's mother asked my advice on getting her son a 5GB iPod or this 10GB Zen. As the resident tech guy, I was quite adamant in favor of the iPod despite the extra space that Creative's player provided. She didn't listen. Little Matt hated it because it was so hard to use and never really used it much past the initial week when he showed it off -- "It holds 10GB!" was his mantra.

Just goes to show, simply having "more space" isn't a big deal. What's the rub is ease of use AND lots of space. Here's hoping to 120GB and 160GB offerings from Apple in the near future. I'm buying one and heading straight over Matthew's house! :cool:

Black Belt

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2007
California
Why would they make a larger iPod with a widescreen if the iPhone is out? BECAUSE THEY'LL SELL 20 Times as many iPods as they ever sell iPhones. Duh!

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
I don't think the new iPod should have a touchscreen. I kinda dislike having to look at my iPhone to do anything with it. With the click wheel you can operate the iPod without looking. Don't get me wrong multitouch is cool. But multitouch is a look at me tech. What do you guys think?

Squonk

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2005
Standard drive size on MB/MBP/Mini

When :apple: does release a higher capacity drives, I hope they bump up the hard drive size in the standard configurations of their computers. When I go to buy my MBP, a 160GB drive is not going to cut it if my iPod also has a 160GB. Yeah, I know I can make a customer config, but I really just want to buy a refurb...

gkhaldi

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2005
If people are so keen on having a large HD in their iPod, then crack that baby open and put one in. I plan to do that with my 4G Photo when the money becomes available.

Anyone has a instruction manual to do this? I'd like to try it

j05h

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2003
That's just a lack of technical knowledge and regurgitation of FUD.

iPod, due to the buffer size, access the hard drive for seconds to fill the buffer once every 40-60 minutes. The harddrive is NOT spinning all the time.

Nobody is perfect. People drop all kinds of things including iPod. Heck, I’ve dropped my iPod a few times. And guess what, they still work perfectly. iPod: sold over 100 Million. Complaint about iPod being damaged due to its storage medium is non-existent except for the people who never owned one.

Out of the 6 iPod's my family has owned, the HD has died in 2 of them.

netdog

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2006
London
Sorry to burst your bubble guys, but hard drives are old school and Apple knows it.

While you do have a point, calling something 'old school' is kind of old school, don'tcha think?

Sorry, but someone had to say it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.