Samsung Announces 512GB NVMe SSD That's Smaller Than a Stamp

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, May 31, 2016.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Samsung today announced that mass production has begun on a new NVMe PCIe solid state drive in a ball grid array package, the first of its kind to be available in large quantities. The SSD, called the PM971-NVMe, is tiny, merging all SSD components into a package that's smaller than a standard U.S. postage stamp.

[​IMG]

Designed for next-generation PCs and ultra-slim notebooks, the PM971-NVMe measures in at 20mm x 16mm x 1.5mm and weighs approximately a gram. Its volume is about a hundredth of a 2.5-inch SSD or HDD, and it offers performance able to surpass a SATA 6Gb/s interface with sequential read/write speeds of up to 1500MB/s and 900MB/s, respectively.

According to Samsung, it takes 3 seconds to transfer a 5GB-equivalent full-HD movie and is up to 1500 times faster than a standard hard drive when it comes to random read/write input output operations per second (190K and 150K, respectively). Samsung plans to offer the SSD in 128, 256, and 512GB configurations.

[​IMG]
    Apple has used Samsung SSDs in its Mac machines in the past, and it stands to reason that the company could adopt Samsung's newest technology in the future. There's no guarantee that will happen, but Apple often likes to include cutting-edge technology in its products.

Apple has been using a faster NVM Express interface for the SSDs of its most recent machines, starting with the 12-inch Retina MacBook. Intel is also developing next-generation 3D Xpoint SSD technology that's set to launch in 2016 in its forthcoming Optane solid state drives, another hardware option that may be of interest to Apple.

Article Link: Samsung Announces 512GB NVMe SSD That's Smaller Than a Stamp

2. Jme Saunders macrumors member

3. LordQ Suspended

LordQ

I wouldn't call 16GB storage "cutting-edge".

Jokes aside, this sounds awesome.

4. Corrode macrumors 6502a

Corrode

You don't say... #WWDC

5. lyngo macrumors 6502a

6. arggg14 macrumors 6502a

Have there been any studies about the reliability of these growingly complex SSD's vs traditional spinning drives? Just curious....

7. redheeler macrumors 604

redheeler

I'm sure Apple will rush to get this soldered and non-upgradable storage into the Macs as soon as possible!

8. goodcow macrumors 6502a

Don't worry everyone, the next iMac will still come with a 5400rpm drive.

9. MacDarcy macrumors 65816

Why is Apple even using spinning hard drives anymore? Especially 5400rpm ones!

10. L. Ron Hoover macrumors newbie

Gotta hand it to Samsung with this one. That's amazing!

11. foxkoneko macrumors 6502

gotta save a few dollars :rolleyes:

12. KPandian1 macrumors 65816

Did Samsung invent and design this, or fabricate it to some inventors specs - could be a large R&D dept. of a major corp. or a garage genius?

13. garirry macrumors 68000

garirry

Oh yeah that's absolutely amazing, I wonder how much it'll cost though. Let's all pray within the next few years, I'll be able to buy a SATA 1TB SSD for $100! :p

14. Trusteft macrumors 6502

Trusteft

First of all, this is great.
    Second, I wonder if the limit of 512 is about physical limit or a business decision.

15. Glassed Silver macrumors 68020

Glassed Silver

Ah yes, the little room you have to make a slide in/press-on or similar mechanism work... not.
    It's all about shaving off that one millimeter, because you know, the bag you carry your MacBook in gets smaller and smaller by the day and as we all know we carry more and more paper competing for space... Wait...

Your MacBook broke? Too bad, here, we'll fix it for 700 bucks, because we have to replace the entire ****ing board for you.

Glassed Silver:mac

PS: My backstory with soldered-on parts is my older iMac's soldered-on GPU... I'd love to put it to good use again, but no way in hell am I going to spend north of 400 bucks on an entire logic board just to fix a faulty mobile GPU that's over 10 years old.
    Tell me more about how green you are, Apple...

16. iMerik macrumors 6502a

Before I owned any Apple products, this was always my impression of them. Would love to see Apple on the cutting-edge again.

17. btrach144 macrumors 65816

btrach144

These won't be seen in a mac for another decade, sorry peeps.

18. G4DPII macrumors regular

G4DPII

Probably a mixture of both. They need to recoupe some of the initial investment to date to continue the process. The R&D on this must have been billions. So management probably ant to start seeing a return. Which is perfectly understandable.

If this is included in the next few Macs would be nice for Apple to actually acknowledge the effort from Samsung on this, not taking all the credit claiming it is down to them.

19. bpeeps macrumors 68030

bpeeps

You and me both, man.

20. sk1wbw Suspended

sk1wbw

Hold on, let me take out a second on my house and I'll buy one.

21. ArtOfWarfare macrumors G3

ArtOfWarfare

How does the read/write speed compare to RAM?

If you're talking about writing 5 GB in 3 seconds... that certainly sounds like it's in the realm of RAM speed to me.

You could transfer an entirely TB of data in under 10 minutes and 30 seconds.

22. Iconoclysm macrumors 68020

Iconoclysm

No, but 128GB was, you just had to pay for it.

23. Norbs12 macrumors 6502

Norbs12

Cool but really hope this doesn't mean it's soldered to the board.