Samsung Announces Galaxy S10 Event on February 20 in San Francisco, May Include Foldable Smartphone

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 10, 2019.

1. BugeyeSTI macrumors 68020

BugeyeSTI

You mean the notch that contains technology that Samsung is years away from duplicating...

2. Baymowe335 macrumors 68040

Not really. You can try some really stupid stuff and waste your time.

Samsung has already warned their business is shrinking.

3. cmaier macrumors G4

‘Multitouch is overrated.”

As someone who used PCs (by which I mean personal computers, not just windows and dos machines) from 1977, and palm and pocketPC phones before iPhone, i disagree with any contention that multitouch didn’t revolutionize the entire computing industry

4. The Game 161 macrumors P6

The Game 161

Which they don’t really need though seeing as they will use under screen fingerprint reader.

5. dazz87 macrumors 65816

6. BugeyeSTI, Jan 10, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2019

BugeyeSTI macrumors 68020

BugeyeSTI

Great if you want to use something less secure. I’m sure this phone will do as well as the Note 9 did..

7. falainber macrumors 65816

falainber

But you use it only for zoom, right? On desktop, there are much better options for zoom in/out than multitouch. For example, I am sure you are familiar with the concepts of "strokes" in CAD editors where diagonal mouse strokes are used for tons of operations: zoom/in, zoom/out, create an object (rectangle), select/delete an object etc. Two diagonals give us four directional vectors. Multiply it by 3 mouse buttons and Ctrl/Alt/Shift modifiers (8 combinations) and you get 4*3*8 = 96 commands, each one of them with very clear help message about what it is doing while it is doing it. Multitouch just helps mitigate the disasterous lack of input methods on a slab device. So, yes it was a progress compared to previous mobile devices (with resistive screens) but that's about it.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 10, 2019 ---
    The most critical part of this technology is hardware which was not developed by Apple. Samsung can implement similar tech easily (just like Huawei did releasing P10 with the same tech as iPhone X just a few months after X and they preannounced the tech even before iPhone X was released). For some reason many Apple fans believe that Apple is years ahead in this field which is simply not the case.

8. DeepIn2U macrumors 603

DeepIn2U

An Engineering challenge maybe ... but not as much as you'd think, beyond the screen itself.

Battery Placement, Hinges and longevity, etc have been done over 10 yrs before ...
    HTC and mainly the OG Nokia with their E90 (Communicator series), N70/N90/N92, and especially the really wack yet sheek lipstick phone thought of just about anything you can do with a phones design, changing shapes, etc. Many of Nokia's S60 based phones were far too radical for the general public ... but they really pushed the limits back then. I expected Samsung to have accomplished this years ago.

Sad soo late in the game.

I'll pass the 'foldable' screen era for a Watch + AR sleek & discreet glasses.

9. TonnyM macrumors member

This hole looks unreal ugly, notch at least is symmetrical.

10. BugeyeSTI macrumors 68020

BugeyeSTI

How about a phone on the market that uses the technology at the same level that they replaced it as a superior mode of biometric security..If it was easy or if they were sure it was as secure as Faceid they would of done it. How about listing some sources that show the tech Huawei has supposedly had before Apple is just as good or identical as Apples? I’ve heard many have tried or are trying but, none have come close.

11. falainber macrumors 65816

falainber

Just an example: Exclusive: Huawei P20 Face Unlock Is Faster Than Apple's iPhone X Face ID
    Well, how about iPhone rear side cameras. Are they unreal ugly too? And do you really want a thing that obstructs part of the screen to be in the middle?

12. DNichter macrumors 604

DNichter

Yea stability is better, but there really hasn’t been anything innovative. Not saying Apple has been on a roll in that area either.

13. I7guy, Jan 10, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2019

I7guy macrumors P6

I7guy

Notice the article only discussed the x. What about the Xs?

I don’t know about you but I don’t spend much time looking at the back of the iPhone.

14. BugeyeSTI macrumors 68020

BugeyeSTI

Thank you for the article yet it doesn’t say it is the same 3D depth sensing technology. Samsung’s iris scanner is faster than Faceid also yet much less secure. Does Huawei boast it is as secure as there own touchid and recommend using it as the primary way to secure the phone? Samsung says there iris scanner shouldn’t be used as the primary security...

15. Defthand macrumors 6502a

Exciting? No. Liberating? Yes. Anything that delivers pre–iOS ownership to today’s cookie cutter UX is welcome.

16. JayIsAwesome macrumors 65832

JayIsAwesome

Lol well I see Samsung still knows how to get the Apple fandom in a tizzy. Still rocking my iPhone X but I do have my eyes on the S10+. Apple’s 2018 phone line up was laughable and the declining the sales are proof of that. The S models from last year were easily the worst in iPhone history. People can say what they want about Samsung but atleast they’re trying something new and pushing technology forward.

A lot of people bashing the foldable phone are some of the same people who probably bashed the Note when it was first introduced, which is ironic b/c if it wasn’t for the Note being a successful mainstream big screen device...there would be no plus or max sized iPhones. Im looking forward to seeing what Sammy has up its sleeves and hopefully it’ll push Apple to knock it outta the park this fall

17. dazz87 macrumors 65816

IF its anything like this its not bad at all......

18. Shanghaichica, Jan 10, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2019

Shanghaichica macrumors G3

Shanghaichica

There are still bezels on the iphone X and the current Samsung phones (note 9, S9) have a better screen to body ratio than the iphone xs/xsmax
    Samsung say it's facial recognition shouldn't be used as it's primary security. Iris scanning can be used to authenticate Samsung pay and Samsung consider it to be very secure.

The 3D facial scanning on the mate 20 pro is supposed to be similar to the set up on the iphone x.
    It has to be secure enough which I'm sure it will. Face ID isn't the only way of securely unlocking a phone.

19. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Legitimately just asking here, why would the 2018 iPhone XS models be the worst in iPhone history? Based on what exactly? Could I make the counter argument, that the iPhone XS is one the best iPhones I have ever owned?

A foldable smart phone compared to a larger smart phone like the Note are really two different comparisons. The reason being, is there practicality for foldable phone in today’s market? Likely not yet, and even if it becomes mainstream, that would be years out, as you can see with the saturation of the market due to the influx of smart phone prices have greatly affected the consumer from upgrading. A foldable smart phone would likely be very niche category with an expensive price tag.

20. timber macrumors 6502

Well, as expected the pattern keeps repeating itself again.
    The Japanese decades ago weren't happy building cheap budget stuff (nowadays most people don't even remember the time Japanese products were considered second rate).
    The Koreans came after that and weren't also going to stay in the back seat.
    Now the Chinese of course wouldn't be happy just being contractors or manufacturers of 1€ store products.
    Some brands will somehow adapt others will go away.

21. I7guy macrumors P6

I7guy

If alleged sales, since no one knows the numbers are proof of “the worst models”, the s9 and note 9 were dismal failures.

I don’t see Samsung pushing anything forward except a spec bump. See how easy to say when there is no substance behind a critical remark?

22. szw-mapple fan macrumors 65816

szw-mapple fan

Personally it just reminds me of the note edge when it was first coming out. That never took off. The flaws people were criticizing it for then is still much the same today.

23. Shanghaichica macrumors G3

Shanghaichica

It did take off. The note edge was the pre-cursor to the curved displays on Samsung flagships today. When Samsung had flat versions and curved versions on sale at the same time, the edge version sold the most.

24. Jimmy Bubbles macrumors 6502

Jimmy Bubbles

Remember the PCs that thought they’d make a laptop/tablet in one? Most of them broke within the first year, or sooner.

25. Gilligan's last elephant macrumors 6502a

Some may consider the in screen ultrasonic fingerprint scanner, with its increased security over optical fp sensors, to be more than just a "spec bump".
    --- Post Merged, Jan 11, 2019 ---
    These are a very popular form factor.
    Microsoft Surface for starters :) plus models from Lenovo, Dell, HP, Samsung etc