Samsung Announces Galaxy S10 Event on February 20 in San Francisco, May Include Foldable Smartphone

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 10, 2019.

1. I7guy macrumors P6

I7guy

A finger print reader by any other name is still a finger reader. Innovation lately is a fluid definition. One persons innovation seems to be another’s next version.

Hey, I’m just going by what I’m reading here.

2. Gilligan's last elephant macrumors 6502a

So you would have the same opinion if Apple changed the style of FaceID sensor which allowed it to "see" through the screen as Samsung's fp "sees" through the screen.

3. I7guy macrumors P6

I7guy

As I reiterate one persons innovation is another persons “.1” release.

4. Gilligan's last elephant macrumors 6502a

So would under screen FaceID in your opinion, be innovation or ". 1" release?

5. I7guy macrumors P6

I7guy

Face ID was an innovation. Touch ID was an innovation. Now they are both commoditized as biometric functions. Placement of the sensors for the same functions are a .1 release.

6. Gilligan's last elephant macrumors 6502a

And I presume you would add Iris Scanner to that list of biometric innovations.

7. I7guy macrumors P6

I7guy

Absolutely. Iris scanners are innovative. The genesis of them started in 1953 and they became widespread in use in the 2000s.

8. Gilligan's last elephant macrumors 6502a

Further on the S10 release, Samsung is rumoured to be introducing "Sound on Display" technology whereby the phone screen conducts sound directly to the users ear. Would you consider this to be innovative? So no need for a loudspeaker aparture at the top of the phone.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 11, 2019 ---
    And the same is true of fingerprint sensors. Different dates. So Iris Scanner in a phone is as innovative as TouchID in a phone.

9. I7guy macrumors P6

I7guy

Bone conductive technology has been around. Not innovative. And you think iris scanning tech in a phone is innovative. Depends on what is done with it.

Is the neural engine innovative? Smart hdr?

10. Gilligan's last elephant macrumors 6502a

Bone conduction is used in items like headphones, of which I have a pair. But has never been used in smartphones. So a different application.
    You think TouchID in a phone is innovative. So the logic is, if Apple buy a tech and put it into a phone, it is innovative :)

Edit: Iris scanning in a phone is used to provide a secure means of identification such as at a payment terminal.

11. I7guy macrumors P6

I7guy

The logic must be if android puts an existing technology in a phone, it’s innovative.:p

12. Gilligan's last elephant, Jan 11, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2019

Gilligan's last elephant macrumors 6502a

But in order to buy a technology, it must also exist.
    And yes, to utilise an existing technology and find a new application can indeed be patentable.
    You also seemingly don't understand the difference between an OS and a hardware manufacturer. Samsung make a hardware design and they include the hardware of sensors etc into their design. The OS could be Android or in the instance of Samsung Tizen. Sensors are not dependant upon OD.

Edit : spelling corrections.

13. I7guy macrumors P6

I7guy

I’m not sure you know that virtually every piece of hardware in a mobile phone and some features have been around for many years. For example Facial recognition biometrics isn’t innovative in and of itself however using it as a single point of authentication and protection for many of the processes on the phone is. Putting an nfc chip into a phone isn’t innovative, but using the nfc chip (for example) to setup your new iPhone is.

14. Gilligan's last elephant macrumors 6502a

I thought I was communicating with a typical person. However the sudden introduction of "Android" into discussions about hardware and the associated software tends to indicate I am dealing with a fanboy. No point in responding further.

15. I7guy macrumors P6

I7guy

I thought it was funny (not funny haha) that we were playing name that innovation. Many of what is in today’s phones predate iPhone and android. It’s not the hardware that’s innovative it’s the software.

See you around, or maybe not.

16. Gilligan's last elephant macrumors 6502a

Software, but not the OS.

17. szw-mapple fan macrumors 65816

szw-mapple fan

Sure, but I meant it didn’t take off in the sense that most other OEMs never followed suit despite the technology being available for several years. The edge widgets on the note 4 edge wasn’t utilized much and the curve seems much less pronounced now, becoming mostly a aesthetic choice rather than Samsung’s original intent of it being functional.

18. Shanghaichica macrumors G3

Shanghaichica

Huwawei and xioami have copied. Edge apps are still available on Samsung’s latest phones.

19. tedstoutpa59 macrumors newbie

tedstoutpa59

Hopefully they’ll fix the annoying “moisture in charging port bug.”

20. HJM.NL macrumors 65816

HJM.NL

The chin is as big as the bezels on the iPhone XR. Apple calls it bezel less.:rolleyes:

21. Bacillus, Jan 13, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2019

Bacillus Suspended

Bacillus

If you consider pioneering foldable designs a spec bump, there must be something wrong with your objective assessment. Calling for substance (...?)

My idea is that Sammy shows leadership and innovation (yes, it will have flaws like the first MS Surface iterations) whereas Apple for foldable devices yet only filed patents in the role of patent troll, i.e. to obstruct others

22. I7guy macrumors P6

I7guy

Maybe your definition of leadership and innovation should be tweaked a bit, objectively speaking of course.

23. Bacillus Suspended

Bacillus

Of course, to comform to your notion of Apple being the leader and Sammy the follower (= leading in foldable screens, wireless charging, OLED and a few more things)

24. I7guy macrumors P6

I7guy

A few more things, like wifi chip, cellular chip, all screen design, etc. Sounds like you understand who copied who in 2008 and who lead and who followed.

25. GregJohn macrumors regular

GregJohn

Unfortunately false, the iPhone beats Samsung (although by very very small amount) in screen to body ratio. Plus the iPhone has no chin, or bar across the entire top.