Samsung Announces Galaxy S10 Event on February 20 in San Francisco, May Include Foldable Smartphone

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 10, 2019.

1. forerunnerg34 macrumors 6502

forerunnerg34

so you are saying iPhone cant upgrade their software twice?
    Actually, iPhones can!, if you didn't know that, you will be surprised to know that iPhones can receive more than 2 updates, for example I had a 5S and was updated until iOS11 (sadly was barely usable because it was so slow), but the phone was able to update.

and you are saying Samsung batteries never degrade over time?
    Maybe you read that in somewhere else, I don't even mention the word battery or degrade :D
    :D

2. trillionaire macrumors newbie

trillionaire

If done right, the foldable phone could be a very interesting proposition. I don't see it happening soon though, at least not done right. A foldable phone will only make it a flip phone with a huge screen. I want something that has a flexibility that will allow me to fold it up and put it in a small pocket. I don't think current screen technology or phone materials allow for that type of capability.

3. Cryates macrumors 68020

Cryates

I've been thinking about this a lot recently since it appears that Apple is starting to expand its reach, at least in the services area, to all consumers and not just those who buy Apple products. Tim Cook was recently quoted as saying "If you zoom out into the future, and you look back, and you ask the question: 'What was Apple's greatest contribution to mankind?', it will be about health." ... if that's true, and that's what you want to be heralded as your single greatest contribution to mankind, and mankind being every living and breathing human on this planet, not just those in your ecosystem, then you need to reach all of mankind. This starts by acknowledging that every human is different and not everyone wants to buy an iPhone in order to use an Apple Watch. And not every human can afford the necessary. Apple Watch is a dominant force in the tech industry and it's only going to become a more important tool in the health industry as well.

But you can't reach all of mankind if the device is only usable within your sandbox. There are markets across the world where some consumers simply cannot afford your ecosystem, but they could possibly afford a slice of it. Right now the only way to use the Apple Watch is to be fully invested in the ecosystem; To live inside the aforementioned sandbox. Not everyone wants or can afford to live in that sandbox.

It appears that Apple is going to play nicer with it's competing brands moving forward, at least for services. I hope that outreach stretches to hardware as well, and specifically the Apple Watch, otherwise I fear Apple's health contribution to mankind will, in the end, be a half-baked effort.

4. cmaier macrumors G4

It may well be true. But when the iPhone was first demonstrated, it was instantly obvious why it was disruptive. From what I’ve seen of folded phones so far, this is not the case. Rather, every demonstration appears to be a technology in search of a problem to solve. I don’t think folding devices will become useful until new, as yet unimagined form-factors and purposes are developed. A bifold/trifold hybrid phone/tablet is not at all disruptive to the extent that, for example, multi-touch was.

5. PeteS1963 macrumors 6502

Best of both worlds :)

6. The Game 161 macrumors P6

The Game 161

But how do they become not boring in your mind then? What else are they suppose to do?
    --- Post Merged, Jan 10, 2019 ---
    Android is miles better than it was 3 years ago. Certainly from a software point of view. Far more stable than it was.

7. msama macrumors member

This is interesting, either Apple tested and decided against a folding screen or Samsung beat them to it. My gut says this will be a mess but I am hopeful.

8. ImAnAgent macrumors regular

ImAnAgent

I think I may very well skip the S10/Note 10 this year. I'm just getting kind of bored with Samsung lately.

I have a S9+ and a Note 9. I have a sim in my Note 9 that I use every day along with my XS Max.

Android OS has gotten to be nearly perfect these days. I'm just not excited about new Samsung phones like I once was.

9. MarkB786 macrumors 6502a

10. ux4all macrumors regular

ux4all

Forgive me, but am I the only one that sees the rubberband design? We had a flip phone, then we didn't, then we do again?

Cmon Nokia and Motorola, this was all you!

11. theOmega macrumors newbie

Gotta give it to Samsung for really trying to forge their path here, they’re probably the only consumer brand that didn’t copied the iPhone notch and if Apple’s not careful they’ll be first consumer brand releasing a display with cameras under the display.

12. Cryates macrumors 68020

Cryates

What makes the user experience of any of these devices truly unique, iPhone included? They all do the same tasks in slightly different ways. Some with small added features vs another. At the end of the day though, we're all doing the same things in pretty much the same ways.

The entire industry has become boring in a multitude of ways.
    I agree wholeheartedly with this. The OS is still in a fragmented frenzy across the OEM's, but the pure OS behind it has improved dramatically.

13. gavroche macrumors 6502a

gavroche

I suppose I could’ve read your comments incorrectly… But the way you said that the Samsung phone was exciting because you could update it twice... To me that would suggest that in comparison, you couldn’t update other phone such as the iPhone twice. And you also threw in a comment that updating it wouldn’t slow the phone down. I’m not really sure what point you’re making there … The only thing I could think of was that iPhones had the issue of being slowed down, which Apple chose to do in response to degraded batteries. Due to the outcry, they changed the setting to not be turned on by the default. If that wasn’t your point, what did you mean by the Samsung not being slowed down by a software update?

14. sofila macrumors 6502a

sofila

I don't find my tools to be boring. I only use them if or when needed. Dishwasher or thermostat or water taps just have to work as expected. So phones are supposed to be

15. Substance90 macrumors 6502

Until Apple releases a foldable iPhone, right?

16. Baymowe335 macrumors 68040

You make it sound like the foldable display is some kind of obvious need. The iPhone was CLEARLY disruptive when it came out. Why is a foldable screen going to work today?

Different doesn’t always mean needed or better. Apple implements technology a lot better than the competition, not necessarily always being first.

Apple did invent the modern smartphone, however...but that was clear.

17. falainber macrumors 65816

falainber

Multitouch is overrated. Very few iPhone operations actually use it: zoom and multi-finger swipes. It's good for zoom. Multi-finger swipes are just good to have and some may argue they are a bad UI design practice (not intuitive or easy to discover). Multitouch was enabled by switch to capacitive screens. These screens bring other benefits apart from multitouch. None of it is Apple invention though (but good timing for iPhone introduction).

Foldable devices (if they really work) would enable another dimension in mobility. Just like everything that smartphones can do now was always possible to do on desktops/laptops, when you can take it with you, it's a different use case. Many of the features we use on smartphones today simply would not work on 3" screens. Similarly, having a tablet size device in your pocket could potentially represent another case of transformation of quantity into quality.

18. Baymowe335 macrumors 68040

Probably, because they’ll do it properly with the right software too.
    I guarantee you the consensus on the foldable phone will be it’s pointless, worse, and/or not ready yet.

19. Tech198 macrumors G5

Foldable phone already ? There have been times when Apple's gonna off their mark as well. I don't think Apple's always been the "big-kahuna" here.

20. WitneySi macrumors newbie

WitneySi

Macrumour thread on the announcement of the iPod, which when reading proves nothing’s changed and that as Apple fans we’re forever critical

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/apples-new-thing-ipod.500/

21. iapplelove macrumors 601

iapplelove

Talk about taking the easy way out of the conversation.. good job
    This is my point exactly.. iPhone, Samsung etc.

22. sofila macrumors 6502a

sofila

You've spent several posts talking about boring objects but not any explanation about what would be exciting (and not happening at the moment) for you. So phones are like other commodities: doing quite well with what we are expecting them to do now

23. timber macrumors 6502

Just like Apple rules undisputed the mobile SoC business, Samsung's mobile displays are second to none.
    If someone does the under display thing Samsung will surely be on the pole position.

24. TracesOfArsenic macrumors member

TracesOfArsenic

Better to try and fail than to never try.

Designs like this at the very least push boundaries, get the public thinking and give Apple something to improve on down the track.

25. GregJohn macrumors regular

GregJohn

So... they have a hole as their notch and then a normal ugly chin.... let’s see how many people start bragging it’s “all screen” and there’s still a boarder on the top... this is just a gimmicky way to “appear” bezeless but Samsung doesn’t even use the tech that put the notch there in the first place.