Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Samsung today unveiled its newest smart watch, the Samsung Gear S2, which is the company's first watch that includes a round display instead of one that's square or rectangular.

Positioned as Samsung's seventh smart watch release, the Gear S2 comes in three varieties: Classic, standard, and 3G. The Classic version includes a black case with a black leather band, while the standard version includes a dark gray case with a matching rubber band or a silver case with a white rubber band. According to Samsung, the Classic model is for users "who prefer a more timeless watch design," while the standard model is "ideal for those who are on-the-go and have an admiration for minimal and modern design."

samsunggears2-800x547.jpg

The third model, the 3G Gear S2, features the same design as the standard model but includes a 3G radio to connect to 3G cellular networks. With dedicated 3G capabilities, the 3G Gear S2 can be used without a phone, unlike the Apple Watch and most other smart watches on the market.
"For the past several years, Samsung has pioneered and advanced the wearables category, bringing brave new concepts to the smart wearables market," said JK Shin, CEO and Head of Samsung's IT & Mobile Business. "The Samsung Gear S2 reflects Samsung's most progressive innovation. It is the perfect complement for any occasion, easily taking you from day to night, from work to workout--and ensuring that you get more out of every moment in your day, by making it smarter and ultimately more personal and fun."
Each of the 11.4 millimeter thick Gear S2 watches includes a 1.2-inch diameter touch display with a resolution of 360 x 360 (302 pixels per inch), a 1 GHz dual-core processor, 512MB RAM, and 4GB of storage space. It charges wirelessly, has two to three days of battery life, and includes NFC, WiFi, and Bluetooth. On the battery front it outshines the Apple Watch depending on use, but it has less storage space than the Apple Watch's 8GB.

The bezel of the Gear S2 rotates, a feature that's used to navigate through the operating system to interact with apps, and it also uses dedicated Home and Back buttons. Samsung plans to release apps and watch faces designed specifically for the circular display of the Gear S2. Taking a cue from Apple, Samsung designed a new 24-hour fitness activity log for the Gear S2, which will let users view daily progress and get reminders to help them stay on track with fitness goals.

Samsung's Gear S2 watch runs the Tizen operating system instead of Android, making it incompatible with the Android Wear app for iOS that Google launched earlier today.

Samsung has not yet released pricing details on the Gear S2 or provided a release date, but the company plans to provide more information at the IFA consumer electronics trade show in Berlin, which starts later this week.

Article Link: Samsung Announces Round 'Gear S2' Smart Watch

Andres Cantu

macrumors 68040
May 31, 2015
Texas
I was expecting a design (in terms of materials, precision, etc.) that could better compete with the Apple Watch, but it looks like we'll have to wait until next year to see what inspirations Samsung can "borrow" from it. At least they already borrowed elements from the Apple Watch UI, so next year comes the hardware (they need more time to analyze it further) :rolleyes:

Last edited:

SMIDG3T

Suspended
Apr 29, 2012
England
Wow. The seventh model? Dare I say it, Apple Watch is better yet it's a FIRST generation model?!? The only thing better is the 3G capability but that'll come with Apple Watch 2 hopefully.

Reactions: BlueParadox

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
well.. Apple, looks like u have some competition...

I had a feeling someone would improve a better battery experience than the Apple watch, Thanks to Samsung :)

I like the Classic though. but 3G one is also a winner in my book.

And we all though square was good..... Round is not that bad either.. I bet users would not want to say "no i still prefer the :apple:Watch"

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
I see the smaller one is 40mm X 43mm, so it's still bigger than the Apple Watch.

thekeyring

macrumors 68040
Jan 5, 2012
London
3G is interesting, though does it require its own SIM and how does it affect battery?

What would be cool to see from Apple is them to take the Apple Sim they've had with iPad and evolve it into something which is entirely cloud based: more room in the phone for battery, and when 3G Apple Watches finally come round, it won't require an additional SIM or phone number.

Reactions: coolfactor
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.