Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
Do you realise how much sense your post doesn’t make.
How’d you reckon the market would be and we all followed your advice not to buy first gen?
I can tell you. We wouldn’t be where we are now in terms of technology, safety or features.
[doublepost=1562183692][/doublepost]
Why didn’t you try and do it?
Everybody makes mistakes. Remember that first Apple puck shaped mouse?
Crappy.

I don’t make tech products, Samsung does. They had worked on putting this tech into a product for 6 years and this is the best they came up with. I never used the puck shaped mouse, but yes other companies, including Apple, can come out with crappy products. That doesn’t really change anything about my statement though.

StellaVakker21

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2017

Samsung has completed its redesign of the Galaxy Fold to resolve the multiple display failures that led to its delay, Bloomberg reported on Tuesday.

samsung-galaxy-fold-1.jpg

According to the publication, the smartphone maker is now in the "final stages" of producing a version that's ready for the consumer market, but it's still unable to give a firm launch date.

The South Korean company originally planned to roll out its $1,980 foldable phone on April 26, but was forced to delay the launch after several units sent out to reviewers broke during testing.

All of the issues were related to the device's screen, which was later shown to be vulnerable to debris ingress, thanks to an iFixit teardown that was later removed at Samsung's request.

The company has reportedly fixed these problems, according to people familiar with the matter who spoke to Bloomberg.
Samsung on Monday announced plans to hold an event on Wednesday, August 7 in New York City, where it will unveil its next-generation Galaxy Note device.

Samsung may also use the August event to provide more detail on when we can expect the delayed Galaxy Fold to launch.

Article Link: Samsung Completes Redesign of Galaxy Fold That Fixes Screen Failures

Seriously this is awesome. Love to hear these thing. Really looking forward to technology that going.

macman312

macrumors 6502
Not true. The keyboard in my 2017 MBP is superb. I can type faster and more accurately than any previous Apple keyboard.

Yep I love mine.

As for the fold. It’s a big leap forward engineering wise. Samsung wanted to be first and they tried a concept and sent it to the press. The feedback they needed was given. Imagine what would have happened if they didn’t send pre release models to tech reviewers. They’d have lost many more millions.

I am really looking forward to this and the future. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. This is V1 of a brand new product concept. The only way they can get feedback is by sending it to people to actually use day to day. Take it to the beach, park, bring it travelling etc. I wouldn’t buy V1 but by V3 they’ll have nailed it.

I’m a massive apple fan and no doubt apple have considered a similar product but have decided against it for the moment because the tech isn’t quite here.

Fftzyy

macrumors newbie
Aug 27, 2013
CA

Samsung has completed its redesign of the Galaxy Fold to resolve the multiple display failures that led to its delay, Bloomberg reported on Tuesday.

samsung-galaxy-fold-1.jpg

According to the publication, the smartphone maker is now in the "final stages" of producing a version that's ready for the consumer market, but it's still unable to give a firm launch date.

The South Korean company originally planned to roll out its $1,980 foldable phone on April 26, but was forced to delay the launch after several units sent out to reviewers broke during testing.

All of the issues were related to the device's screen, which was later shown to be vulnerable to debris ingress, thanks to an iFixit teardown that was later removed at Samsung's request.

The company has reportedly fixed these problems, according to people familiar with the matter who spoke to Bloomberg.
Samsung on Monday announced plans to hold an event on Wednesday, August 7 in New York City, where it will unveil its next-generation Galaxy Note device.

Samsung may also use the August event to provide more detail on when we can expect the delayed Galaxy Fold to launch.

Article Link: Samsung Completes Redesign of Galaxy Fold That Fixes Screen Failures
Someone or some people were fired.

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011
Yep I love mine.

As for the fold. It’s a big leap forward engineering wise. Samsung wanted to be first and they tried a concept and sent it to the press. The feedback they needed was given. Imagine what would have happened if they didn’t send pre release models to tech reviewers. They’d have lost many more millions.

I am really looking forward to this and the future. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. This is V1 of a brand new product concept. The only way they can get feedback is by sending it to people to actually use day to day. Take it to the beach, park, bring it travelling etc. I wouldn’t buy V1 but by V3 they’ll have nailed it.

I’m a massive apple fan and no doubt apple have considered a similar product but have decided against it for the moment because the tech isn’t quite here.

There's no doubt in my mind that Apple has prototyped at least a dozen foldable phones in their R&D labs. And likely have engineering models for internal employee testing. Guessing they've determined the concept is not ready for prime time yet.

For me...if a foldable phone in its folded state is thicker than my iPhone X, that's not a device I would purchase.

BvizioN

macrumors 603
Mar 16, 2012
Manchester, UK
Dead. There is no compelling reason to buy one of these. It’s a crappy phone that’s too thick and a small tablet without any apps. Foldables may have a future, but this ain’t it.

Exactly. Feels more like having one of these bricky PDA of early 2000. That combined with the ridiculous price = DOA

Reactions: DNichter

Khedron

Suspended
Sep 27, 2013
Not true. The keyboard in my 2017 MBP is superb. I can type faster and more accurately than any previous Apple keyboard.

You better buy yourself some spares now then because Apple are abandoning it to go back to traditional scissor keys.

Reactions: H2SO4

TheFluffyDuck

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2012
Way to many introduced points of failure for a problem I am not sure needs fixing. Also the material science is not there yet, hell, its barely there or current mobile phone screens. But a plastic screen is going to scratch real bad.

TerryClarke1987

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2019
This is what happens when you rush to be first. They took what, 6 years, to create this from their folding screen tech. Why not wait another year or two until you can actually release a compelling product? Public perception can definitely change over time, and price is obviously a huge factor, but I can’t imagine any consumer feeling confident buying a product without a compelling use case AND quality issues. It’s a lose lose for consumers. This was a huge misstep for Samsung.

Yes, it is maybe a misstep for Samsung and I agree that there is no true reason why to buy it (unless you are an early adopter). However, the reach of the media coverage was huge and it can make Samsung stronger actually (it can have a completely opposite effect too). It is interesting to see that people talk about Samsung Fold a lot, but not so much about Huawei Mate X.
I have to appreciate Samsung (and other companies too) how they pushed the industry forward, maybe not in the best direction but still. Let's see what the next years bring.

Reactions: DNichter

Millah

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2008
The exact opposite of what Apple did with the butterfly keyboard.

Thats not really accurate. All Jobs meant with that quote is you need to start with the product idea first, and work backwards to the technology to make that product possible.

Apple obviously started with the product conception first. An impossibly thin and light MacBook (the 1 port MacBook). More impossible than the Air. Then they solved the challenges with making that product possible. The keyboard design was one of those challenges. Once they developed it for the MacBook, they tried to apply that same design exercise to the MacBook Pro. An impossibly thin and light Pro notebook, using the ideas they developed for the MacBook.

Whether or not the solution was a good one is a completely different argument. But you can’t argue that Apple came up with this keyboard design in isolation in the lab, and then tried to figure out how to use it in a product. Thats what Samsung has done. They developed a technology in their labs (flexible displays), and then tried to turn it into a product. Rather than coming up with a compelling product concept, and then solving the technology to achieve that product.

Khedron

Suspended
Sep 27, 2013
Thats not really accurate. All Jobs meant with that quote is you need to start with the product idea first, and work backwards to the technology to make that product possible.

Apple obviously started with the product conception first. An impossibly thin and light MacBook (the 1 port MacBook). More impossible than the Air. Then they solved the challenges with making that product possible. The keyboard design was one of those challenges. Once they developed it for the MacBook, they tried to apply that same design exercise to the MacBook Pro. An impossibly thin and light Pro notebook, using the ideas they developed for the MacBook.

Whether or not the solution was a good one is a completely different argument. But you can’t argue that Apple came up with this keyboard design in isolation in the lab, and then tried to figure out how to use it in a product. Thats what Samsung has done. They developed a technology in their labs (flexible displays), and then tried to turn it into a product. Rather than coming up with a compelling product concept, and then solving the technology to achieve that product.

The technology is the butterfly, not the thinness. If you want to be that vague about user experience, then you can say that Samsung thought how can they come up with larger yet more portable displays and solved that by realising once bezels are reduced as far as possible the only next step is flexibility.

And people have clearly demonstrated a far greater interest in having larger displays than in having a millimetre reduction in their laptop keyboard.

Plus, apart from the durability and cost, reviewers have mostly said the experience is fantastic. Just like the iPad Pro then. Except when reviewers found their iPad Pros bent in normal use Apple didn't delay the launch.

Last edited:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
You know, its funny, there's a fair amount of; no one wants one, its a dead-end product, too late, type of posts. But I can guarantee if apple rolls out a folding phone in the near future, many people will be coming out of the woodwork and state how apple is innovating, how its the greatest thing since xyz, etc etc.

Reactions: mrex

decafjava

macrumors 603
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva
Nobody wants one, or this is dead in the water, or foldable phones are a waste of time...until Apple releases one. :rolleyes:
Not me, even if Apple does.
[doublepost=1562337613][/doublepost]
You know, its funny, there's a fair amount of; no one wants one, its a dead-end product, too late, type of posts. But I can guarantee if apple rolls out a folding phone in the near future, many people will be coming out of the woodwork and state how apple is innovating, how its the greatest thing since xyz, etc etc.
Again, not me...and I'll mock those who do as you say.

Or not bother.

Reactions: ErikGrim

ErikGrim

macrumors 603
Jun 20, 2003
Brisbane, Australia
1) This will never happen and
2) No

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.