Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BiggAW

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Connecticut
Link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Android_(operating_system)#Linux

Video calling: Android does not support native video calling, but some handsets have a customized version of the operating system that supports it, either via the UMTS network (like the Samsung Galaxy S) or over IP. Video calling through Google Talk is available in Android 2.3.4 and later. Gingerbread allows Nexus S to place Internet calls with a SIP account. This allows for enhanced VoIP dialing to other SIP accounts and even phone numbers. Skype 2.1 offers video calling in Android 2.3, including front camera support.

The TOPIC of our conversation was not about patched or modded phones. Nor single function features. The truth is that Apple fully supported the front facing camera when the iphone 4 came out back in 2010. Android had nothing of the kind. Now if you wanna argue about who made the first camera phone with wifi connectivity then it's a Symbian based Nokia from 7-8 years ago.

So As i said earlier: GET YOUR FACTS RIGHT!!!!! :cool:

Who cares? No iPhone on 3G is going to run Skype like a DROID RAZR MAXX on Verizon 4G LTE. It's insane, it literally has lower latency than circuit-switched voice.

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar
Those phones had front facing cameras for 3g calls only. Android din't support front facing cameras untill version 2.3 (Gingerbread) in 2011.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Android_version_history#v2.3

Get your facts right... ;)

I have my facts right, thanks. And Samsung Galaxy S had a front facing camera and video call on 2.010

Link: The TOPIC of our conversation was not about patched or modded phones. Nor single function features. The truth is that Apple fully supported the front facing camera when the iphone 4 came out back in 2010. Android had nothing of the kind. Now if you wanna argue about who made the first camera phone with wifi connectivity then it's a Symbian based Nokia from 7-8 years ago.

So As i said earlier: GET YOUR FACTS RIGHT!!!!! :cool:

Yap, get your facts right, the Samsung Galaxy S is not a patched or modded phone. The system supported front facing video calling.

So yes, get your facts right.

Suspended
May 3, 2012
Who gets paid to come up with such crap? The more they focus on Apple the more people subconsciously realize that Apple is the leader. I am so sick of cell phone and car commercials.

That would be a false perception. If you're keeping up with the news you'll realise (1) Android dominates the market share, and (2) Samsung sold more Galaxy phones in the last two quarters than Apple sold iPhones; in the most recent quarter by a large margin (44.5M versus 35.1M).

----------

Those phones had front facing cameras for 3g calls only. Android din't support front facing cameras untill version 2.3 (Gingerbread) in 2011.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Android_version_history#v2.3

Get your facts right... ;)

iOS didn't support copy and paste until iOS 3.x...

----------

I find it terribly sad that companies (not just Samsung) feel the need to mock and bash their competitors.

Like a politician ridiculing his opponent, rather than talk of his own strengths and policy, it suggests something about them. Mainly, that they have nothing 'to bring to the table.'

Steve Jobs repeatedly mocked Android and Google. Samsung has every right to mock the mentality of Apple fans, in much the same way as Apple mocked the PC user in their own commercials.

----------

Yet it's always Samsung trailing

As a matter of fact Samsung took out the title of "phone of the year" for the Galaxy S2 and as I stated earlier, Samsung sold more Galaxy phones last quarter than Apple sold iPhones. The technology in iPhones is trailing nearly every other Android phone in the market. Apple has been playing catchup for a long time now.

----------

Yeah, yeah, I know; PC Guy vs Mac Guy. But, in the "Get a Mac" campaign the capabilities and attributes of Mac and PC were compared. Unlike this saga, which just seeks to bash the popularity of Apple, without Samsung talking of the capabilities and attributes of the Galaxy Note. (Then again, a stylus and handwriting recognition are hardly groundbreaking.)

If a Samsung commercial were to compare the capabilities and attributes of their products, Apple would be hung out to dry.

----------

So when is Apple Ditching Samsung for parts etc. I personally wouldn't want to deal with a company that openly mocks its potentially largest customer.

Seems very odd.

Apple would be nothing without Samsung. Apple depends on Samsung. Just look at the iPad 3. Samsung make the screen, the processor, the battery, the RAM... everything... without Samsung it would just be an Apple logo. Good luck with that move!

Suspended
May 3, 2012
Price will not be an issue for Apple. People are willing to spend more money for a quality product instead of the garbage quality devices that the competition brings to market.

Quite the contrary. People are parting with a small fortune for what they PERCEIVE to be quality. Apple is a PROFIT-CENTRIC company whereas Samsung is QUALITY-CENTRIC. You'll have a much less hard time breaking an iPhone than a Samsung phone. Here is a video where this is explained by an IT professional who has repaired THOUSANDS of iPhones but only two Android tablets and NOT A SINGLE ANDROID PHONE, despite there being more Android phones in the world than iPhones. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjyIYRQn4Eo. The Apple phone is always first to break in the drop tests too. The same is true of Macs where quality is concerned. Apple use the cheapest components and cheap made-in-chinese-sweatshop build quality in order to sell their devices with the biggest market. Samsung sell their phones with a smaller margin of profit because they care about providing a quality product to their customer. That's customer focus.

reedmartin

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2012
Samsung commercials are great. I often assemble my friends and we crowd around my five inch cellphone and draw pictures of each other using the stylus and have a good laugh.

:rolleyes:

steviem

macrumors 68020
May 26, 2006
New York, Baby!
Quite the contrary. People are parting with a small fortune for what they PERCEIVE to be quality. Apple is a PROFIT-CENTRIC company whereas Samsung is QUALITY-CENTRIC. You'll have a much less hard time breaking an iPhone than a Samsung phone. Here is a video where this is explained by an IT professional who has repaired THOUSANDS of iPhones but only two Android tablets and NOT A SINGLE ANDROID PHONE, despite there being more Android phones in the world than iPhones.
. The Apple phone is always first to break in the drop tests too. The same is true of Macs where quality is concerned. Apple use the cheapest components and cheap made-in-chinese-sweatshop build quality in order to sell their devices with the biggest market. Samsung sell their phones with a smaller margin of profit because they care about providing a quality product to their customer. That's customer focus.

Really? Because my Samsung Epic 4G had some issues with Oreo-ing, had a low battery life, wasn't updated to Android 2.3 until about 10 months after it was announced, and actually a week after 4.0 was announced. The screen showed light scratches on it, the audio quality on music was noticeably different between the Samsung and my iPhone 4. Anything else? Oh yeah, even the ZTE Blade I had in the UK was better than any phone I had with a Samsung badge on it.

Oh, I'm an IT professional too...

PS, accidentally dropped my iPhone from just underneath my chin onto hard concrete on Thursday, not a mark on it. I'm 6 foot, so it fell at least 5 feet and it's only in a bumper case.

Last edited by a moderator:

smoledman

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2011
Apple won the mobile industry war by 2010 when they hoovered up 70% of the profits and increasing. Apple won the tablet war without a shot. What's next for Cupertino?

Renzatic

Suspended
Apple won the mobile industry war by 2010 when they hoovered up 70% of the profits and increasing. Apple won the tablet war without a shot. What's next for Cupertino?

I don't know why Apple pays for marketing when they have whole armies people willing to squirt out soundbites at the first available opportunity.

I imagine some of you with iPhone in hand, staring at it in abject amazement, mumbling "...so innovative", or pressing a button, which elicits a soft satisfied laugh, and a "...it just WORKS" as you walk down the street. All this is happening even a year after you've owned the phone. Like the new tech honeymoon never ended for you.

smoledman

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2011
I don't know why Apple pays for marketing when they have whole armies people willing to squirt out soundbites at the first available opportunity.

I imagine some of you with iPhone in hand, staring at it in abject amazement, mumbling "...so innovative", or pressing a button, which elicits a soft satisfied laugh, and a "...it just WORKS" as you walk down the street. All this is happening even a year after you've owned the phone. Like the new tech honeymoon never ended for you.

#1 - I don't own an iPhone, I have a Lumia 900.
#2 - I own iPads because there were no good alternatives, now I have a Kindle Fire as well.
#3 - Apple products do "just work" compared to everything else. AirPlay is magical.

linux2mac

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2009
"City of Lakes", MN
Quite the contrary. People are parting with a small fortune for what they PERCEIVE to be quality. Apple is a PROFIT-CENTRIC company whereas Samsung is QUALITY-CENTRIC. You'll have a much less hard time breaking an iPhone than a Samsung phone. Here is a video where this is explained by an IT professional who has repaired THOUSANDS of iPhones but only two Android tablets and NOT A SINGLE ANDROID PHONE, despite there being more Android phones in the world than iPhones.
. The Apple phone is always first to break in the drop tests too. The same is true of Macs where quality is concerned. Apple use the cheapest components and cheap made-in-chinese-sweatshop build quality in order to sell their devices with the biggest market. Samsung sell their phones with a smaller margin of profit because they care about providing a quality product to their customer. That's customer focus.

"From fridges to cameras to TVs, people buy Samsung gear not because they love or trust it, but because its spec sheet ticks the right boxes. The brand is synonymous with ubiquity, but not quality."

How Samsung broke my heart
http://www.theverge.com/2012/5/4/2998464/how-samsung-broke-my-heart

MacNewsFix

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2007
Twin Cities

Actually, it is the excellent customer service combined with their attention to detail and intuitiveness in their products that won me over. Considering my time spent in enterprise, it would be much more likely that I would be using Windows today. However, it is largely my experience in enterprise actually trying to work with Windows that moved me to use Apple products and recommend them. However, to each his own.

"From fridges to cameras to TVs, people buy Samsung gear not because they love or trust it, but because its spec sheet ticks the right boxes. The brand is synonymous with ubiquity, but not quality."

Agreed.

I've heard a lot of Android fans, including podcasters covering Android, that they were let down by the new flagship phone, the Samsung Galaxy SIII. Their gripe was that Samsung paid too much attention to matching every new bell and whistle of its competitors and not enough to design aesthetics. In other words, it (still?) feels cheap.

Last edited:

smoledman

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2011
I hear that a lot from folks who left Windows. :apple:

I haven't left Windows, and never can due to my work. But beyond that I could never construct a gaming rig based on Mac technology for anything less then the price of a Mac Pro. PC rigs are awesome because they cost $1200 initially and you upgrade components over time.

MacNewsFix

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2007
Twin Cities
I haven't left Windows, and never can due to my work. But beyond that I could never construct a gaming rig based on Mac technology for anything less then the price of a Mac Pro. PC rigs are awesome because they cost $1200 initially and you upgrade components over time.

+1

I agree when it comes to pro gaming. That's always been Apple's Achilles' heel. However, that's never really been their target audience. Apple just wants customers to buy a Mac and not need to come back to the store for a GPU upgrade to use Aperture.

I wouldn't shy away from recommending a Mac, though, if someone was a casual gamer and more into games like Civilization and just steer them away from some of the entry level models if they plan on playing Star Craft with all the settings on high.

Suspended
May 3, 2012

I think I represent a lot of people when I say I buy Samsung because I love and trust their brand. If you buy anything other than a Samsung TV you're either an IDIOT or trying to save money. There is no disputing Apple make the best TV's. There is no disputing Samsung make the best phones, or at least, MUCH better than anything Apple has produced yet. Why do you think Samsung took out the title for "phone of the year"? Those reviews aren't just based on "spec sheets". Samsung can back up their claims with hard figures and Apple fanboys still feel a sense of unbacked superiority! Most Apple fanboys don't even understand their technology in their phones. Don't you check boxes when you buy a computer? Or do you just buy the one that looks pretty of has an Apple logo on it? Do you do the same when you buy a car? Yeah mate I don't care about those figures... I don't care about engine size or fuel economy or any of that spec sheet non-sense... I want that one because it's blue and everyone else has got one. This video epitomises what I'm talking about here perfectly:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIlv2_lpTng

fourthtunz

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2002
Maine

I think those points are lost on the gigglephone fanbois,
Apple is taking all of the profits with the original article,
Why buy an inferior copy?
Because its cheaper? No thanks.

Suspended
May 3, 2012
I think those points are lost on the gigglephone fanbois,
Apple is taking all of the profits with the original article,
Why buy an inferior copy?
Because its cheaper? No thanks.

Apple rip off the customer with a larger margin or profit (cheap parts with a jacked up price) but not on sales. Samsung sold more Galaxy phones than Apple phones in the last two quarters (LOOK IT UP)... most recently by a significant margin.
Inferior? What planet are you living on? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIlv2_lpTng
Copy? The Android phone was in development BEFORE the iPhone... you're probably too blind and naive to even recognise that. Apple don't really design much of the phone themselves... it copies all the hard work of Samsung.. the development of the processor, the RAM, the screen... even the battery is a Samsung part in the iPad. And as for software? Lol... iOS 4, to quote an example, is all copied from Android and other reputable places... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gq-e0getf4M

fourthtunz

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2002
Maine
Apple rip off the customer with a larger margin or profit (cheap parts with a jacked up price) but not on sales. Samsung sold more Galaxy phones than Apple phones in the last two quarters (LOOK IT UP)... most recently by a significant margin.
Inferior? What planet are you living on?
Copy? The Android phone was in development BEFORE the iPhone... you're probably too blind and naive to even recognise that. Apple don't really design much of the phone themselves... it copies all the hard work of Samsung.. the development of the processor, the RAM, the screen... even the battery is a Samsung part in the iPad. And as for software? Lol... iOS 4, to quote an example, is all copied from Android and other reputable places...

Sorry but the iPhone is still the best phone, more like the mac experience.
I'll pay more for the better phone, that's all i'm saying.
If you want to save money, and get lessor of a phone, it's a free world!
Gee, you just joined and how many posts do you have already?
Wonder who you work for? :)

danahn17

macrumors 6502
Dec 3, 2009
I think I represent a lot of people when I say I buy Samsung because I love and trust their brand. If you buy anything other than a Samsung TV you're either an IDIOT or trying to save money. There is no disputing Apple make the best TV's. There is no disputing Samsung make the best phones, or at least, MUCH better than anything Apple has produced yet. Why do you think Samsung took out the title for "phone of the year"? Those reviews aren't just based on "spec sheets". Samsung can back up their claims with hard figures and Apple fanboys still feel a sense of unbacked superiority! Most Apple fanboys don't even understand their technology in their phones. Don't you check boxes when you buy a computer? Or do you just buy the one that looks pretty of has an Apple logo on it? Do you do the same when you buy a car? Yeah mate I don't care about those figures... I don't care about engine size or fuel economy or any of that spec sheet non-sense... I want that one because it's blue and everyone else has got one. This video epitomises what I'm talking about here perfectly:

dude... i can't stand Apple fanboys either...... but you're exactly the same as them, except you root for Samsung. :rolleyes: So please...stop. You're making the rest of us Samsung-owners look bad. - signed, a Galaxy SII owner.

Oh... and one more thing... Apple doesn't make TVs. :confused:

----------

Gee, you just joined and how many posts do you have already?

What if... this is LTD's evil twin? :eek::eek::D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.