Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Samsung yesterday introduced a new 1 GHz mobile processor core, code-named "Hummingbird", utilizing the Cortex-A8 implementation found in the iPhone 3GS. The iPhone 3GS currently uses a version of the chip running at 600 MHz. As noted by CNET, the new processor core could theoretically be dropped into the existing iPhone 3GS design with very few other changes required.
"Samsung could drop Hummingbird into the existing S5PC100 design with few or no changes," Halfhill said in response to an e-mail query, referring to the S5PC100 processor now used in the iPhone 3GS. "Bingo! A next-gen iPhone that could run at speeds up to 1.0GHz," he said.
Apple has, however, in the past underclocked such chips to address heat and power concerns in its mobile devices, so it remains unclear whether a "drop-in" upgrade to 1 GHz would be feasible.

Furthermore, given Apple's product cycle that typically sees new iPhone launches in June or July each year, it is possible that even more advanced chips will be available by the time the iPhone is ready for its next refresh. Previous reports have pointed to delivery of dual-core mobile chips utilizing next-generation Cortex-A9 technology in 2010, although whether such chips will be shipping in quantity in time for a mid-2010 iPhone launch is also unknown.

Article Link: Samsung Debuts 1 GHz Version of Processor Found in iPhone 3GS

ventro

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2006
Introducing the new iPhone with Sure-Melt technology. Once it melts, it'll be sure to fit like a glove in the palm of your hand. Forever.

iphones4evry1

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2008
California, USA
Competition is a very good thing.

So then, is it safe to say that the new iPhone 3GSS that is coming in June 2010 will have a 1 GHz processor?

Looks like all of the people that skipped the 3GS and are waiting for the next iPhone, are in for a dual-core 1.0GHz+ treat in June 2010. And with the rate of RAM and flash memory prices plummeting, the next iPhone could be a heck of a lot more like a real full-size computer.

Apple's answer to the netbook will finally be here ... in June 2010, as the dual-core, DDR2 RAM, iPhone 3.5G-SS !!!!!!

wizard

macrumors 68040
May 29, 2003
Good for Touch!

I could see this going into Touch no problem. Even more so if Apple could order it with a better GPU. I don't think Apple would bother with a 2GS update as it would confuse the marketplace. The power savings would be nice though even at 600 MHz.

What is obvious is that these process shrinks offer a lot to the potential future devices. In other words we should have 1 GHz devices in the palm of our hands soon. It is also good news if Samsung is going to be PA Semi / Apples foundry. It means Apple could be delivering products on 45nm tech real soon.

Just imagine a quad core ARM SoC running at let's say 800MHz. That should produce a very competitive tablet when compared to what is possible with Intel Atom.

Dave

wizard

macrumors 68040
May 29, 2003
Not really.

So then, is it safe to say that the new iPhone 3GSS that is coming in June 2010 will have a 1 GHz processor?

The problem is it might make more sense to add more cores to ease the problem of power management. So we might get two cores at 800MHz or four at 600MHz. Like current desktop processors you have tobyrade off clock rate aganst cores and come up with a mix that offers optimal user experiences. Since clock rate means power in a portable device I'd expect more cores before we hit extremely high clocks. Even with single cores Apple gas been opting for slower than max clock rates in iPhone.

Plus by that time they might have OpenCL for iPhone running. If the GPU picks up even more work from the CPU yet lower clock rates could be justified. It all depends on how agressive they want to be power management wise. Which by the way could vary from device to device.

This revelation just gives Apple another ingredient to throw into the iPhone batter.

Thanks Dave

wonderbread57

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2008
I wonder if at some point Apple will need to separate apps intended for next gen hardware from the older ones or if it will be like the rest of the software market place where there is suggested specs on the game/app and it's up to the user to decide their acceptable quality of experience based on their generation of hardware (iphone/touch).

_Refurbished_

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2007
I doubt Apple will use this chip or something like it. There were rumors that Apple is moving a multi-core design, which offers faster performance and even less power usage. That seems more in line with what Apple would want in a processor. I'm confident next year's iPhone will see a significant boost in battery life. LED screen, faster and more efficient processor, etc etc.....I mark this as very, very unlikely.

iphones4evry1

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2008
California, USA
I wonder if at some point Apple will need to separate apps intended for next gen hardware from the older ones or if it will be like the rest of the software market place where there is suggested specs on the game/app and it's up to the user to decide their acceptable quality of experience based on their generation of hardware (iphone/touch).

Good point. Perhaps, there will be a point in time in which new Apps will say "requires iPhone3GS or faster," much like computer software often has requirements.

"Octacore 6 Quadro from Apple. Now faster than Intel." :D

Rocketman

macrumors 603
Is that faster than a Mac+?

Does that overcome the Samsung defendant lawsuit over NAND patents by letting them sell a far higher value added chip instead?

Toshiba got a $0.5B advance.

Good job guys.

P.S. is 1ghz about the same as 4x 0.25 Ghz and 8x 0.125 Ghz?

Or, wait for it, is it 8x 0.5 ghz with usage management protocol?

Rocketman

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
My PDA has been running at 718MHz for about 5 years now. This doesn't seem to be any faster.

kironin

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2004
Texas
My PDA has been running at 718MHz for about 5 years now. This doesn't seem to be any faster.

1GHz > 718 MHz
5 years ? How big is it?
is it your phone?

it's all about size. packing it in tighter the more issues about heat dissipation.

if you had benchmarks compared to the current iPhone then you would know. Comparisons are probably not that easy.

xwk88

macrumors regular
May 3, 2005
tablet

every one is thinking only of the Iphone but what about this tablet that is supossedly coming out..... at 1 ghz this processor would make a lot of sence in something around 7- 10 inches long i guess it would make it easier for the heat problems.....

harry009

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2009
ahmedabad, India
Is Apple iPhone SDK 3.0 Application Good For iPhone.

Apple iPhone SDK 3.0 Application For iPhone 3GS Application/Apps has New features ...is this useful for iPhone users.

iphones4evry1

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2008
California, USA
every one is thinking only of the Iphone but what about this tablet that is supossedly coming out..... at 1 ghz this processor would make a lot of sence in something around 7- 10 inches long i guess it would make it easier for the heat problems.....

You make a valid point. Let's keep in mind though that this new chip is Samsung, not Apple. That is why we are talking cell phones and iPhone here, but yes, the iTablet sounds inevitable at some point in the future. It's just a matter of when.

Back on topic... what do you supposed Samsung will do with this new chip? Put it in the Instinct?

iCantwait

macrumors 65816
Sep 3, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
You make a valid point. Let's keep in mind though that this new chip is Samsung, not Apple. That is why we are talking cell phones and iPhone here, but yes, the iTablet sounds inevitable at some point in the future. It's just a matter of when.

Back on topic... what do you supposed Samsung will do with this new chip? Put it in the Instinct?

DON'T YOU DARE CALL IT AN iTablet:mad: (unless apple do:D)

johnhw

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2009
If Apple might release it, it might be "iPhone 3GSS" :D

Although GM might sue Apple for using it's trademarks..

phillipjfry

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2006
Peace in Plainfield
before I even go about reading the previous posts, I just have to say:

I TOLD YOU ALL that the next iPhone would be 1GHz cpu and most likely dual core!
now i'd just like to see 512 meg of ram and the phone could easily be considered a laptop with built-in cellular connectivity :D:apple:

EDIT: iphones4evry1, you and I are on the same wavelength ;)

Stargaze

macrumors member
Aug 26, 2008
Still hoping iPhone 4G ends up with a dual core and more ram

Still hoping iPhone 4G ends up with a dual core processor and more ram...

another GPU upgrade would be nice too.. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.