MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Samsung today hosted a media event in New York City, where it introduced the all-new Galaxy Note7 with an updated S Pen, a new Gear VR headset powered by Oculus, and the Gear 360 camera. All three products will be available in the United States on August 19, with pre-orders starting tomorrow.

samsung-galaxy-2016-trio.jpg

The 5.7-inch Galaxy Note7 adopts several design and hardware features of the Galaxy S7 and S7 edge, including a 2,560×1,440 Super AMOLED dual curved display, Qualcomm Snapdragon 820 quad-core 64-bit 14nm processor, 4GB of RAM, 12-megapixel Dual Pixel rear-facing camera, wireless charging, and IP68-rated waterproofing.

Additionally, the Galaxy Note7 features a built-in iris scanner for unlocking the smartphone with your eyes, 64GB of internal storage expandable up to 256GB with a microSD card, a larger 3,500mAh battery, 802.11ac Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 4.2 LE, NFC for contactless payments, and a USB-C connector. The device will run Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow out of the box, eventually followed by Android 7.0 Nougat.

Samsung complemented the new smartphone with an updated version of its S Pen. The stylus features new Air Command functions, including Magnify and Translate, that enable users to zoom in on the screen or convert languages with a simple hover gesture, along with double the pressure sensitivity and a smaller 0.7mm tip geared towards providing a more ballpoint pen-like experience.

The Galaxy Note7 in Blue Coral, Silver Titanium, and Black Onyx launches at AT&T, Verizon, Sprint, T-Mobile, and U.S. Cellular on August 19. Pricing will be similar to previous Note devices, amounting to around $750 to $800. The smartphone will also be available at Amazon, Best Buy, Car Toys, Sam's Club, Target, and select Walmart stores. An unlocked version will be released at a later date.

Click here to read rest of article...

Article Link: Samsung Debuts Galaxy Note7 With New S Pen, Gear VR Headset, and Gear 360 Camera

Reactions: macfacts

TurboPGT!

Suspended
Sep 25, 2015
I still find it hilarious that Samsung, pre-iPhone 6, misread what Apple was doing with "curved glass" and thought they meant curved screen, and doubled down on this idea...and now they are stuck pretending like anyone ever wanted that.

Comment

Allewsive

macrumors member
Apr 22, 2015
I wouldn't mind trying one for fun, but I really wish it had stock Android 7.0... I cannot stand these 3rd party android wraps... Well, hopefully Apple has a few surprises next month

.. I am kinda disappointed that Samsung basically released a Galaxy S7 Edge+

Comment

BeSweeet

macrumors 68000
Apr 2, 2009
San Antonio, TX
Planning on replacing my 6+ with a Note 7 ("black onyx" model). Zero interest in the next iPhone. Nothing Apple can do to the hardware will get my attention. It's all about the software, which has seen very few practical changes / feature additions. iOS 10 is really iOS 9.4. This snail's-pace "innovation" by Apple has finally gotten too old for me. Even a jailbreak isn't saving me like I thought it would.

That said, I'll have a 20-day return window, just in case!

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.