Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kuwxman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2009
Kansas City
Be kind of silly if they didn't, honestly. They are the ones making the screens for Apple after all. Samsung might as well cut down on their costs and use similar screens. Win win for them.
[doublepost=1531759599][/doublepost]
And this is a surprise? Samsung is always watching the rumours as to what Apple may be doing. In some cases they rush to market with something to try and beat them but it doesn't always work out. Samsung should just do their own thing
Samsung is not "watching rumors." Apple is giving them this information since, you know, Apple is getting their screens from...wait for it...Samsung.

Reactions: Delgibbons

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
Maybe not entire screen but yeah like the whole 1/3 at the bottom

Good point, would definitely be a nice alternative. I ultimately still feel Face ID (when improved over time) will be a better solution than physical input, but choices are always good. I am sure plenty of Samsung users will be happy if executed properly. I think they are rushing it a bit so we'll see how it works.

Reactions: Kagio and osx86

GuruZac

macrumors 68040
Sep 9, 2015
⛰️🏕️🏔️
No notch and on-screen fingerprint scanner + 3D facial recg alternative?

Sounds like the top 2 features any iPhone owner would've loved.
The notch never bothered me design wise. I see it as an essential part of the phone due to current technological constraints. Sure they could have blacked out the rest of the top of the phone, but I think that would have actually looked worse, and the spaces adjacent to the notch are not just dead space. On screen fingerprint would have been very cool but ultimately Face ID is the future of biometric phone security. And Kuo pointed out a while ago, Apple is a couple years ahead of everyone there.

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
Good point, would definitely be a nice alternative. I ultimately still feel Face ID (when improved over time) will be a better solution than physical input, but choices are always good. I am sure plenty of Samsung users will be happy if executed properly. I think they are rushing it a bit so we'll see how it works.

This is where I personally disagree and why I prefer TouchID to FaceID ..... I like the deliberate action of using TouchID to unlock my phone. The only way I can unlock it is to do some deliberate action to achieve it. I can't unlock it accidentally or unintentionally, and neither can anyone else.

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
This is where I personally disagree and why I prefer TouchID to FaceID ..... I like the deliberate action of using TouchID to unlock my phone. The only way I can unlock it is to do some deliberate action to achieve it. I can't unlock it accidentally or unintentionally, and neither can anyone else.

That's fair, it all comes down to preference. I like Face ID as is, but it can definitely be improved. Speed, more extreme angles, and landscape unlock are obvious. Eventually it will be invisible to the end user, which I think is the goal. You may need to look into another platform in the future, but should be good for the next few years.

Reactions: NetMage

jona2125

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2010
No notch and on-screen fingerprint scanner + 3D facial recg alternative?

Sounds like the top 2 features any iPhone owner would've loved.

I would just like to get a home button like Samsung did. The swipe is hit or miss a lot of times especially when the phone is sideways. With Apples love of Force Touch it really absolutely boggled me they didn't have a FT home button like Samsung.

Reactions: Kagio

TheShadowKnows!

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2014
National Capital Region
Samsung, try doing a small phone like the SE.

That, you don't do. Making big phones is easy, making small ones is hard.

Sorry to disagree, dude.

Your idol makes do with small format phones after re-using two to three-year old bin parts.

[And do not acuse me with the easy moniker being a hater. This is coming from a very satisfied owner of two iPhone SE (64G). Both bought cash and carry for wife and myself on the first day of announcement, after waiting one month for delivery. And, at present, me praying to the iPhone Gods that your idol gives the green light to the iPhone SE Mark II. But not holding my breath]​

Scottsoapbox

macrumors 65816
Oct 10, 2014
It's kind of insane how all the major smart phones are +\- 1mm of each others dimensions (both regular and plus sizes). Where is the consumer choice in size???

Daum

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2015
We need a 4.7 S10!!!!!!! I'll probably switch back if they release a 4.7 iPhone X...

TheShadowKnows!

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2014
National Capital Region
That's fair, it all comes down to preference. I like Face ID as is, but it can definitely be improved. Speed, more extreme angles, and landscape unlock are obvious. Eventually it will be invisible to the end user, which I think is the goal. You may need to look into another platform in the future, but should be good for the next few years.

And there is the multi-user authentication conundrum when relying on FaceID.
Although, not official, TouchID allows me to authenticate and maintain my wife's iPhone, while recording my two digits, concomitantly to her's. She gladly delegates to me the continuous maintenance of her iPhone as she is an artist and would never be bothered.

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
And there is the multi-user authentication conundrum when relying on FaceID.
Although, not official, TouchID allows me to authenticate and maintain my wife's iPhone, while recording my two digits, concomitantly to her's. She gladly delegates to me the continuous maintenance of her iPhone as she is an artist and would never be bothered.

Not too hard of a fix as it's already implemented in iOS 12 (it's called alternate face or something). I think Face ID was somewhat rushed and they wanted to get 1 face right before adding in a second, along with some other weird quirks it has. iOS 12 has fixed a good bit of these issues, but still needs more extreme angles and landscape. I think it's coming in version 2, which will likely be like the jump from Touch ID v1 to v2, which was huge.

Brandonjr36

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2016
Joplin
If they get rid of the curved edges and actually put a finger print scanner under the display. I’ll probably sell my iPhone X and go to that.

TheShadowKnows!

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2014
National Capital Region
Not too hard of a fix as it's already implemented in iOS 12 (it's called alternate face or something). I think Face ID was somewhat rushed and they wanted to get 1 face right before adding in a second, along with some other weird quirks it has. iOS 12 has fixed a good bit of these issues, but still needs more extreme angles and landscape. I think it's coming in version 2, which will likely be like the jump from Touch ID v1 to v2, which was huge.

As long as it is not meant to "compensate" for differentials to a primary face, then case solved. [This, because I do not look anything like my lovely wife LOL!]

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
As long as it is not meant to "compensate" for differentials to a primary face, then case solved. [This, because I do not look anything like my lovely wife LOL!]

Haha yea, I know it's working fine between two completely different people in the betas, so as long as that doesn't change by the GM, then it should be good.

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
I don’t give Apple a pass either, was it perfect with Touch ID no but they did a better job using Touch ID the Samsung did with their version of it
Better how? Samsung's FP sensor works great. It maybe placed in a dumb location, but it works great. I'm not sure how this got to be a "one better than the other discussion". I was just pointing out the fatal flaw in your earlier observation. To your credit you recognized it immediately.

skitidetdu

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2013
Sweden
Why are we even discussing things like this? Who cares about samsung? Go out and have fun, enjoy summer and relax instead. There will be plenty of things to talk about when they release the next set of iPhones.

BvizioN

macrumors 603
Mar 16, 2012
Manchester, UK
If it is true that Samsung will be using A fingerprint reader under the display, that will be the real separation between the iPhone and Galaxy series moving forward. As much as I like Face ID, I really would have wanted to see touch ID embedded under the display.

I would personally prefer one that works close to perfection then few mediocre. Face ID just like touch ID will only get better.

TimmeyCook

Suspended
Jun 20, 2018
Your idol makes do with small format phones after re-using two to three-year old bin parts.

1st, when it came out, it wasn't 3 years old
2nd, it was the best 4" phone, and still is
3rd, you only look at the phone from the exterior. As if that's what matters in any way. No other phones packs so much power in such a small enclosure, no other phones gives so much battery life from such a small battery (in size and therefore in capacity).

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011
Samsung, try doing a small phone like the SE.

That, you don't do. Making big phones is easy, making small ones is hard.

while I wont argue with your 2nd asanine point,

I do agree with the first one. Where the heck are the decent 4" higher end Android phones? they don't exist.

the iPhone 5s (se) is still one of my favourite designed phones ever. if they could push the screen on it to be a little bigger without much change to the chasis, I'd consider buying an iPhone again (also keeping the headphone jack)

I have an S8 now. I love the phone (for the most part). But there's are so very few phones that I find comfortable in my tiny little hands. Samsung's smaller devices are really the only ones, and they even still feel big. the iPhone (not x) just too small screen for such a large device.

there needs to be far more 4-4.5" options.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
I cant see Samsung using LCD on any S line phone, even their "budget" J and A lines use OLED.

I don't think anyone is expecting or predicting Samsung to revert back to LCD.

They bet heavily on OLED around 2012 and haven't looked back.

Reactions: Shanghaichica
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.