Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Following a few images of the upcoming Galaxy Note 10 smartphone and ahead of the device's official unveiling in New York City next week, leaked images today revealed a new dongle accessory for the Note 10. The dongle is a 3.5mm to USB-C accessory, apparently confirming that Samsung is removing the headphone jack from the Galaxy Note line (via SamMobile).

samsung-dongle.jpg
Image via SamMobile

Similar to Apple's Lightning to 3.5mm dongle, Samsung's accessory is a simple miniature cable that would let users attach a pair of wired headphones into the Note 10's USB-C port. The accessory is believed to come in the box with the Galaxy Note 10 and Note 10 Plus, and is likely to be sold separately as well.

Samsung began removing the headphone jack in its smartphones starting with the Galaxy A8 line last year, so this wouldn't be too much of a surprise if it happened to the company's main line of Note devices.

Apple itself removed the headphone jack from the iPhone beginning with the iPhone 7 in 2016, a decision that has been met with heated debate online. The trend continued with every iPhone release since, up to last year's iPhone XS, XS Max, and XR devices.

After Apple's decision, Samsung began making fun of the company in numerous ways, including mocking Apple's excessive use of dongles in one of its "Ingenius" ads. During the reveal of the ill-fated Galaxy Note 7, Samsung executive Justin Denison emphasized that the device came with a headphone jack, mocking Apple.

More information about the Galaxy Note 10 will come out of its full unveiling event next Wednesday, August 7.

Article Link: Samsung Expected to Remove Headphone Jack from Galaxy Note 10 as Seen in New Dongle Leak

CatalinApple

Contributor
Oct 28, 2016
So all these years they have been laughing and making fun of Apple, pointing fingers, doing commercials and so on.
First of all I would advise every company to stop doing this if in the long term they are going to remove features from their smartphones just like Apple did. I wonder what their excuse will be and at least they can't make fun of Apple because of the headphone jack.

Spock

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2002
Vulcan
The first Android phone, the HTC G1 didn’t have a headphone jack either. I had one and back then, Bluetooth headphones weren’t really a thing and it was a huge pain in the butt. Fast forward a few years to my iPhone XS and I don’t miss the headphone jack at all, with Bluetooth in my car, AirPods and the adapter on my AKG headphones for home when I never need it.

Reactions: Gasu E.

heov

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2002
So all these years they have been laughing and making fun of Apple, pointing fingers, doing commercials and so on.
First of all I would advise every company to stop doing this if in the long term they are going to remove features from their smartphones just like Apple did. I wonder what their excuse will be and at least they can't make fun of Apple because of the headphone jack.

Why do you suggest they stop doing this? They made fun of Apple in what, 2016-2018? Now they're doing what they made fun of Apple for, and they'll stop making fun of them. In 2016-2018, they may have sold phones because of their ad campaign.

Do you really think the average joe consumer is gonna be like "wait a minute... didn't they make fun of Apple in 2016-2018 about the lack of a headphone jack?! Samsung sucks because of that!!"

No, they won't. No one even remembers that ad campaign. Samsung buyers will just complain about its lack of headphone jack like Apple users, Sony users, Huawei users, Xiaomi users, OnePlus users, etc.

The only people that would hold a grudge against a company based on an ad campaign their marketing team came up with in the past are people on forums like this. Whether that ad campaign was effective or not is irrelevant, but people aren't going to change their minds in 2019+ because of it.

Last edited:

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Apple set the precedent, they removed the 3.5 mm jack with the iPhone 7, and it’s interesting to see how the competition followed suit. I think the 3.5 mm Jack still has relevance today for those who prefer wired, but Bluetooth is so ubiquitous now, where I think the average consumer is perfectly fine with the sound quality that they put out.

PickUrPoison

macrumors G3
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
I thought I heard they were discontinuing the Note lineup due to poor sales? And if sales of the Galaxy keep tanking S11 might be the end of the line for Samsung flagships. Or maybe they’ll try adding a notch as a last-ditch effort. That would be somewhat hilarious.

YaBe

Cancelled
Oct 5, 2017
There is certainly a profound trend; if they mock, they eventually copy.
What?!? They were making fun of Apple because of this
Yeah, 3 years ago.... I mean at one point it was gonna happen, we knew it they knew it, they at least use a standard (USB-C) AND they introduced it when everyone had time to transition, and when it became "a standard", as they are one of the few still using "the jack" :D
August 2016, welcome to 2019! I mean seriously? 3 years later ....

Reactions: Mactendo

Glockworkorange

Suspended
Feb 10, 2015
Chicago, Illinois
Apple set the precedent, they removed the 3.5 mm jack with the iPhone 7, and it’s interesting to see how the competition followed suit. I think the 3.5 mm Jack still has relevance today for those who prefer wired, but Bluetooth is so ubiquitous now, where I think the average consumer is perfectly fine with the sound quality that they put out.
I agree with you. The problem is, and it’s not really a problem I guess, but there is a very very loud minority of people who whine and scream about the headphone jack.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I get that Bluetooth earbuds are pretty cheap and all, but Sometimes I’d like to use my wired headphones with no adapter so I can charge my phone at the same time without this weird dongle mess.

That was the one advantage to the 3.5 mm Jack, I would sometimes charge my device _and_ listen at the same time. But now with the AirPods, I certainly don’t miss the extra wires at all. To me, the AirPods are amazing gateway when Apple did remove the 3.5 mm Jack with the convenience/portability/battery life.

PickUrPoison

macrumors G3
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
I get that Bluetooth earbuds are pretty cheap and all, but Sometimes I’d like to use my wired headphones with no adapter so I can charge my phone at the same time without this weird dongle mess.
You’re not alone, but Apple tends to go with the decision that’s best for 80-90% of their target market. Sucks when you’re in that 10-20%: headphone jack, iPhone SE, thicker/more battery for MBP or iPhone, Nvidia, etc.

Reactions: tunastink

shanson27

macrumors 68020
Nov 27, 2011
The first Android phone, the HTC G1 didn’t have a headphone jack either. I had one and back then, Bluetooth headphones weren’t really a thing and it was a huge pain in the butt. Fast forward a few years to my iPhone XS and I don’t miss the headphone jack at all, with Bluetooth in my car, AirPods and the adapter on my AKG headphones for home when I never need it.

But Apple has removed the headphone jack not because HTC did, but because of the new edge to edge display on the new iPhone X ! Difference, yes! :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.