Samsung Galaxy Note 8 Ties iPhone 8 Plus in DxO Labs Camera Test

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Oct 4, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Samsung's Galaxy Note 8 produces generally better results than the iPhone 8 Plus when shooting still photography, but falls short of Apple's handset when it comes to recording video. That's according to the latest comprehensive smartphone camera test conducted by Dxo Labs, in which the two phones essentially came out tied overall.

[​IMG]

The reviewers singled out Samsung's device for its "phenomenal" photo sub-score, which as the first smartphone to achieve 100 points in the category, "breaks new ground and makes the Note 8 the current class-leader for stills, thanks to excellent zoom quality, good noise reduction and detail preservation, and fast and accurate autofocus".
    [​IMG]

Overall, Note 8 achieved a DxOMark mobile score of 94 points, making it the joint-leader for smartphone image quality alongside Apple's iPhone 8 Plus, which the site previously praised for having the best smartphone camera they had ever tested. The Note 8's low-light photos showed less noise and more detail than its rivals, although HDR mode tended to clip highlights and highly backlit subjects didn't always turn out very clear.

In terms of video, the Note 8 was notable for offering good exposure with fast convergence, fast and stable autofocus, as well as good noise reduction, white balance, and color rendering. However, while the Note 8 trumped Apple's phone when taking stills, its video performance suffered due to residual motion when holding the camera still during recording, earning it a video sub-score of 84. In comparison, the iPhone 8 Plus achieved 89 in the same tests.

[​IMG]

DxO says it has analyzed the image and video quality of over 10,000 cameras, lenses, and mobile phones, and its tests are generally respected within the industry. The company also sells some consumer-facing products like the DxO ONE camera, which can be plugged into an iPhone's Lightning connector.

The full review is worth checking out, and includes additional photos and analysis of the Samsung Galaxy Note 8's dual cameras compared to its rivals.

Article Link: Samsung Galaxy Note 8 Ties iPhone 8 Plus in DxO Labs Camera Test

2. DynaFXD macrumors 6502a

DynaFXD

As it has been with the past several iterations of iPhone and Galaxy's, it really comes down to do you like the Apple Eco system? Or can you stand Android? Hardware has reached parity, IMHO. Nothing wrong with that. I just like the Apple universe more, as long as they can keep E. Cue from gumming it all up.

3. deany, Oct 4, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2017

deany macrumors 68030

deany

4. michael siccofield macrumors newbie

michael siccofield

5. himanshumodi macrumors regular

himanshumodi

Kudos to Samsung, but that Note 8 is one awkward equipment to use, though admittedly it is only at the store for a few minutes. I have never thought about optical zoom capabilities in smart phone - but Note does seem a lot ahead in that department.

Honestly, low light is the one pain area where I really want Apple to make great strides.

6. Marshall73 macrumors 6502a

Marshall73

The Samsung Galaxy S8 scored 88
    The One Plus 5 scored 87

7. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

Meh. These phone take great pics, these "Marks" are meaningless. Premium phones have better cameras, that's about its .

The issue I have with the scoring system for phone is that each year the camera gets better and better . The iPhone 9 in the 6 chassis will be better than the 8, the Xs will have a better camera as the selling point .

Would anyone buy a note 8 or iPhone 8 based on the score ? It's like benchmarks , meaningless as people are tied into the ecosystem and the benchmarks mean nothing unless u run the same OS

8. deanthedev macrumors regular

deanthedev

9. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

Great news , Samsung and iPhone get the same scores :)

10. deany macrumors 68030

deany

Thanks, any scores in for the Xiaomi Mi Mix 2? and the S8+

11. deanthedev macrumors regular

deanthedev

Benchmarks have only become meaningless since the iPhone 5S came out and stomped on Samsung and Qualcomm. When Android devices were faster they were relevant.

12. Wowereit macrumors 6502a

DxO desperately trying to seem relevant.

Some news for you:
    Your scores suck.
    Nobody cares.

13. Mirice99 macrumors newbie

Too bad the Galaxy Note 9 will be out before the IPhone X is readily available.

14. DNichter macrumors 68030

DNichter

Not super surprised. The Note, I am sure, has great hardware. It just comes down to which OS platform your prefer.

15. dschulian macrumors regular

dschulian

WTF. Who is making these tests? The S8's bokeh simulation is clearly wrong and I wonder why I'm the only one seeing this? :)

16. NachoGrande macrumors 6502a

17. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

Are they ? If I could run iOS on an android , yeah I would care and vice Versa.

Like OS X v windows , performance is not an issue for most task, till you run the same Os on the hardware and say try a GPU heavy task...

18. Mirice99 macrumors newbie

That pretty much goes for anyone who doesn't blindly gush over Apple and rave about how an Apple product is years ahead of its competition.

19. KavalierMalta macrumors member

KavalierMalta

20. rpe33 macrumors regular

That was referring to the facial recognition technology.

21. Jcxa macrumors member

22. aneftp macrumors 68040

Side question. Optical zoom. I'm just afraid camera lenses with optical zoom will break easier. My wife drops her iPhone 7 plus a lot. The camera has failed 2 x (black screen of death). So she had to have it replaced or repaired.

I'm just not sure long term longevity with optical zoom with moving parts.

23. belvdr macrumors 603

Interesting wording on that.

24. Jcxa macrumors member

Apparently, I have lying eyes. The Iphone pictures have far more detail and less blurriness than the android. the source has zero credibility in my opinion.

25. and 1989 others macrumors member

Meh. For the average consumer, we reached a good enough camera in the 6. Anything since then isn’t really going to make much difference to the duck face selfies and dog pictures that are put on Instagram. If you are a pro, you probably going to invest in digital DLR setup.