Samsung Galaxy Note 8 Ties iPhone 8 Plus in DxO Labs Camera Test

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Oct 4, 2017.

1. Mirice99 macrumors newbie

Yeah because 100 million iPhone x's will be readily available any time soon....

2. bboucher790 macrumors 65816

bboucher790

The score is tied, but the pictures look COMPLETELY different. Great scoring system ;).

Scores need to differentiated between different types of shots to have any merit.

3. JM, Oct 4, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2017

JM macrumors 6502a

JM

Nailed it.

I just created a new filter: Faux 3D w/ almost angel aura

Gimme a job, Samsung. Every photo taken by everyone across the world can send me their pictures and I will add bokeh effect professionally and promptly with great satisfaction.

Attached Files:

4. rafark macrumors regular

rafark

I hate the noise iOS devices cameras take. I've always envied Samsung's sharpness and colors in pictures. But I hate android so I'd rather have the noisy iPhone pics.

I really wonder, though, after so many years why hasn't apple drastically improved the iPhone camera. Yes, it's better each year but at its core it still has that noise and dull colors that worsen the image quality considerably. I would have thought theyd have by now a close to professional quality due to the importance of the iPhone in apple's revenue and to the fact that the camera is widely used by iPhone users.

5. belvdr macrumors 603

It looks like the pictures were captured at different times too, so lighting may have changed too that caused the cameras to react differently. All in all, it seems like a poorly configured test, so I'd take these results with a large bag of salt, regardless of which pictures one prefers.

6. mazz0 macrumors 65816

mazz0

That girl clearly doesn't like having her picture taken. Odd choice of model really!

7. adamjackson, Oct 4, 2017

adamjackson macrumors 65816

The wave of Apple Bloggers all coming out preemptively against DxO Labs has my spidey-sense going off. Did Apple know this was going to happen and prepped the media that they don't think DxO is representative to the quality of photography to get ahead of the Note 8 tying with it? I'm an Apple Fanboy but I'm surprised no one in the Apple world exclaimed how amazing this was this time around and one-week later, the Note 8 ties.

Macworld on the news the iPhone 8 Plus was the best ever:

The big picture: While DxO scores don’t mean a whole lot in the long run, they’re an excellent measure of how much smartphone photography is improving. Both the iPhone 8 and 8 Plus saw noticeable jumps over the iPhone 7, so it’s clear that Apple has devoted a ton of resources into making the iPhone the best camera around. And if the Google Pixel 2 edges it out, iPhone X will probably be even better.​

Daring Fireball:

Particularly with their “overall” score, DXO is pretending to assign an objective scientific-looking measurement to something that is inherently subjective. It’s *********, but everyone in the media falls for it. I said it was ********* last year when they named a Pixel their “highest rated ever”, and I say it’s ******** now when they said that about an iPhone.
    When I read a few different bloggers saying the same thing I thought, "there must be a phone coming out that beats the iPhone so everyone is trying to keep this score down-played for now.

Gruber added:

Go read Austin Mann’s review of the iPhone 8 Plus camera (also linked to here at DF earlier today) — that’s how you review and measure the quality of a camera.​

A camera's performance is based on emotion, feeling, overall experience, not stats.

I guess? I remember the same thing when Apple was trying to convince us the G3 was better than Intel's Pentium 3/4. I guess it's better despite the numbers being less on certain tests (like photoshop filters) but most people make buying choices based on numbers and stats, not emotion.

8. 69Mustang macrumors 601

69Mustang

No it doesn't. Look at the shadows on the fence. They're basically the same. How the pics look is subjective, but we don't need to make up details to support our narrative.

9. H3LL5P4WN macrumors 6502a

H3LL5P4WN

Digitial Zoom? DxOMark just lost all credibility with me.

10. flat five macrumors 601

flat five

nah.. the X rear telephoto lens specs faster than the 8plus.. (larger aperture)
    theoretically at least, leading to sharper images in lower light..
    ..or more natural/pronounced bokeh in long lens photos.

but point being, the X and 8+ don't share the same rear camera(s)

11. Mirice99 macrumors newbie

Any source that picks anything other than Apple has zero credibility.

12. needsomecoffee macrumors member

What the heck... Opened the two pics with the woman+tree, and zoomed in on her face. The iPhone image has some pretty big issues. Apple seriously needs to dial back its software processing. The iPhone8 seems better than the 7 (which was very bad re: smearing). Still significant problems if this sample photo is what Apple is doing. Also the noise in the woman/sky is shockingly bad for Apple. Again, what the heck are they doing?

13. belvdr macrumors 603

Look at something that can change more easily, like the girl's mouth and eyebrows in the first photo and the placement of the girl's left hand in the second photo. Seconds or minutes could have passed between the photos. It would be better if the cameras took the photos at or near the same time.

14. SeminalSage macrumors newbie

SeminalSage

Wasn't this the company that Google quoted last year as saying the Pixel had a better camera than the iPhone. And then everyone started taking real world pictures....

15. Blaze4G macrumors 6502a

Can you link me to those reviews that say the note 8 are super vibrant vs the iphone 8? Every review I have watched the new iphone 8 is more vibrant and over saturated (which I like). But what you stated is not true.

16. 69Mustang macrumors 601

69Mustang

Seconds or minutes? You're reaching. Also it's pretty obvious the photos were taken at or near the same time, if at slightly different angles. The triangular highlight of light on the model's chest would be significantly different if the shots were shot at different times.

17. Pilgrim1099 Suspended

Keep smoking. 100 million iPhone X will NOT be available by November 3rd. The ones that wanted it badly in a long line will get screwed out big time by those who pre ordered in time or illegal bots to shop for them ( which should be illegal ). It'll be like the Super Nintendo Classic sold out everywhere, nowhere to be seen, only to trickle here and there in stock over time.

Either way, the scores here don't mean anything. Anyone who uses scores to prove their iPhone 8 or X is better then the competition is an INSECURE child, unwilling to wake up to the matrix of lies spewed forth by Tim Cook.

18. belvdr macrumors 603

A properly configured test would have practically eliminated these items (angles, movement, etc). I'm simply saying this test has more issues than desired for a camera review. If you're willing to accept this review, that's fine. I don't feel that way.

19. SirRahikkala macrumors regular

SirRahikkala

HTC One M8 had that fake bokeh already 3 years ago. So who rips who?

20. barkomatic macrumors 68040

Well, according to them the current iPhones aren't a "million miles ahead" but in general are on par. I'm guessing the iPhone X will most likely score a little better, but when you consider the price of that phone that's to be expected.

According to the article:

"DxO says it has analyzed the image and video quality of over 10,000 cameras, lenses, and mobile phones, and its tests are generally respected within the industry."

I bet when the iPhone X tests come back as the current best you'll be gushing all over the review. I don't understand this need to support Apple in the same way one would a family member or friend. Samsung and Apple are in to make money and they don't even know or care who you are.

21. 69Mustang macrumors 601

69Mustang

Sounds as if your entire argument is based on that one photo comparison. Wouldn't it be more prudent to read the actual review before coming to a conclusion regarding whether or not it was a proper test? I mean, you've gone from shot at different times to angles/movement and created a narrative that ignores the rest of the testing.
    I actually read the review. Seemed fair especially since they review all phones the same way.

22. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

Both take amazing photos. Got to imagine the x will be even better

23. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

It is a living human, as opposed to a wax figure. I see both your and @69Mustang’s points as being valid though.

Personally I give some leeway for models changing head positions and such, so long as the photo is intended to show skin tone detail and color balance as opposed to making them the primary test for image detail / exposure / shadow tests. You can use inanimate objects for those types of shots.

But it appears DXO posted these as separate reviews, not a combined comparison review. TBH the portrait zoom shots they posted look more like an afterthought, than it is a valid comparison test. But, I feel their photographic tests are weak compared to what DPReview, and other reputable photography sites do.

24. meaning-matters, Oct 4, 2017

meaning-matters macrumors 6502

meaning-matters

Second picture comparison is plain wrong: Compared to iPhone, the Note captured less light -> faster shutter speed or lower ISO -> less noise.

You must compare the exact same exposure level.

Don't these guys understand how camera systems works???

25. JM macrumors 6502a

JM

This one was a little more difficult around the leaves and stems and hand, but I really think I nailed this one too. Samsung really should call me.

Attached Files: