Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Samsung said on Sunday it will launch its first AI virtual assistant in next year's Galaxy S8 smartphone, based on technology gained through its acquisition of Viv.

Viv is the AI firm run by Dag Kittlaus, co-creator of Apple's Siri. Last month, Samsung bought Viv with the intention of allowing it to operate as an independent company, while providing Samsung with a readymade AI solution that will enable it to go toe-to-toe with Siri, Google Assistant, and Amazon's Alexa.

viv-800x533.jpg
Siri co-creator Dag Kittlaus' Viv AI will appear in Samsung devices

According to a Reuters report, Samsung now plans to integrate the AI platform into its Galaxy smartphones and expand voice-assistant services to home appliances and wearable devices.

Samsung hopes the AI technology will help revive its momentum in the smartphone industry following the recall and discontinuation of this year's flagship Galaxy Note 7, which will cost the company $5.4 billion in profit through the first quarter of 2017.

Samsung didn't mention what types of services the AI would offer in its Galaxy S8, which is due to go on sale next year, but Viv features enhanced contextual understanding which allows it to understand the intent of a user's queries and create its own programs on the fly.
"Developers can attach and upload services to our agent," said Samsung Executive Vice President Rhee Injong during a briefing, referring to its AI assistant. "Even if Samsung doesn't do anything on its own, the more services that get attached the smarter this agent will get, learn more new services and provide them to end-users with ease."
With the preponderance of AI assistants in consumer devices - most recently in Google's Pixel smartphones - Viv is a technology that Samsung is eager to exploit, and is likely to make its way into the company's non-mobile devices, like washing machines, refrigerators and TVs.

In May, it was reported that Apple was planning on introducing a next-gen natural language API in its rumored Amazon Echo competitor. The technology behind the API is the work of VocalIQ, a natural language outfit purchased by Apple in October 2015. The API has the ability to do "session-based" contextual responses similar to Viv.

Article Link: Samsung Galaxy S8 to Debut 'Viv', the AI Assistant From the Creators of Siri

Reactions: Michaelgtrusa

hagar

macrumors 68020
Jan 19, 2008
If Apple doesn't realise what a huge opportunity it missed by refusing to include Viv as an enhanced version of Siri in their products, there's not much hope left.

It's nearly 2017 and Siri is still not able to send a message or give driving directions without messing things up.

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
Does this mean it's going to be Samsung's new HOT feature? ;) no thank you, i'll stick to my iPhone's. In all seriousness it would take something really special to get me to move away from iPhone.

GLS

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2010
So, Samsung just nuked their existing sales of Galaxy line in the meantime?

The Osbourne Effect in full display.

Reactions: foxkoneko and KPOM

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
Don't tell me, Samsung will call it... S-Voice.... :D

S-Voice was a dud, and only gave Samsung users annoyance as it is duplicating the more refined Google Now.
And now this. Unless it's integrated with the OS, it will be just a feature on a list, along with dozens other Samsung features that nobody uses.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
If Apple doesn't realise what a huge opportunity it missed by refusing to include Viv as an enhanced version of Siri in their products, there's not much hope left.

It's nearly 2017 and Siri is still not able to send a message or give driving directions without messing things up.

Or in the very least, buying Viv would have kept it out of their competitors' hands.

Roller

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2003
With all their resources and time, Apple should be leading the virtual assistant race by now, but they're not. Siri is better than it was a few years ago, but it's still frustrating some of the time. Having Siri execute a web search in response to a question is only marginally helpful, and it's useless if I'm in a situation where I can't look at my phone.

Tycho24

Suspended
Aug 29, 2014
Florida
So, Samsung just nuked their existing sales of Galaxy line in the meantime?

The Osbourne Effect in full display.

What the hell are you talking about??????
It is a piece of SOFTWARE!
If you think that it wouldn't be able to run on other hardware, you are confused.
Btw, the article clearly states in multiple ways the fact that this would merely DEBUT on Galaxy 8, not be an exclusive.
They say that the company is remaining independent, despite developing the custom solution for Samsung..
So, it would stand to reason that soon after release of Galaxy 8, you'd see this as an app in Play Store.

Mac Fly (film)

macrumors 68030
Feb 12, 2006
Ireland

Yeah I guess you're more intelligent than people running one of the richest companies on the planet who make $1B every profit 10 days. You should be the next CEO. Hope you can handle the FBI when they come a-knockin.

GLS

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2010
What the hell are you talking about??????
It is a piece of SOFTWARE!
If you think that it wouldn't be able to run on other hardware, you are confused.
Btw, the article clearly states in multiple ways the fact that this would merely DEBUT on Galaxy 8, not be an exclusive.
They say that the company is remaining independent, despite developing the custom solution for Samsung..
So, it would stand to reason that soon after release of Galaxy 8, you'd see this as an app in Play Store.

You think Samsung is going to allow this to run on older versions of their phones?

Kind of like Apple did with Siri on iPhones prior to the 4S?*

*meaning no way in hell?

Reactions: haruhiko

timber

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2006
Lisbon
Samsung doesn't own a mainstream OS so even if VIV is leaps beyond siri and Google Assistant they can't add much value as they can't integrate anything properly.

In fact one of the many S series improvements has been the dialling back of Samsung "features" and TouchWiz and more of stock Android.

BornAgainMac

macrumors 604
Feb 4, 2004
Florida Resident
I wonder if Apple should allow you to pick which voice assistant can work for you. Apple could put it in the settings section in iOS 11. Of even ask "Google / Alexa / Contana / Siri" by name before asking your request. That would be neat.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.