Samsung Halts Galaxy Note 7 Sales Worldwide

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Oct 10, 2016.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Samsung today announced that it is officially asking its global partners to cease all sales and exchanges of the Galaxy Note 7 while it further investigates claims of ongoing safety issues with replacement devices.

As of last week, there have been several reports from customers who had their replacement Galaxy Note 7 smartphones, which were deemed safe by Samsung, catch on fire. The devices were supposedly using batteries Samsung said were "not vulnerable to overheating and catching fire."

[​IMG]
    (Image: Shawn Minter)​

On Wednesday, a flight from Louisville to Baltimore was evacuated when a Note 7 began smoking, and on Saturday, a 13-year-old girl in Minnesota received burns from a defective device while a man in Kentucky suffered from smoke inhalation after his Note 7 caught fire while he was asleep.

Two additional reports of replacement Note 7 fires rolled in on Sunday from Virginia and Texas, plus there were reports of fires from Taiwan and South Korea.

By Monday morning, all major carriers in the United States had already announced plans to stop sales and "safe" replacements of the Galaxy Note 7, and now sales will temporarily end worldwide.

According to Samsung, customers with an original Galaxy Note 7 or a replacement Galaxy Note 7 should shut down their devices and stop using them right away.
    Earlier today, reports suggested that Samsung has stopped production on the Galaxy Note 7. Samsung said that it is "temporarily adjusting the Galaxy Note 7 production schedule in order to take further steps to ensure quality and safety matters," with more information to be available in a month.

For customers in the United States who still have a Galaxy Note 7, all of the major carriers are now offering to replace the defective devices with another smartphone, such as an iPhone 7.

Article Link: Samsung Halts Galaxy Note 7 Sales Worldwide

2. garirry macrumors 68000

garirry

You could say that the sales of the Note 7... bombed.

3. ILuvEggplant Suspended

ILuvEggplant

"You're Holding it Wrong" - Steve Jobs from the grave.

4. Speedy Dingo, Oct 10, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2016

Speedy Dingo macrumors regular

Speedy Dingo

I posted this on another thread, but it still seems fitting here.

meme7.jpg

EDIT: Someone's made this hilarious GTA5 mod with a Samsung Galaxy Note 7....

:D

5. DanGoh macrumors 6502

DanGoh

Shame. I'm all for competition so this makes me worry for Samsung's future. Heck, in my Health Econ class today my prof slid an exploding Samsung joke into the lecture.

6. ILuvEggplant Suspended

ILuvEggplant

Hate to say it but...

Burned Samsung Galaxy Note 7 Still More Innovative than the iPhone 7.

7. Nick A macrumors regular

While following along since the beginning with the Note 7 issues, I still can't comprehend how this can happen. They released a phone that literally randomly com-busts into flames, acknowledged the issue by "fixing" it and releasing a new version with the same exact issue. How can that possibly get put into production and released to the public?? Especially with a multi-billion dollar company like Samsung. This really makes me scratch my head...

8. Aussi3 macrumors 6502

Aussi3

9. Ballis macrumors 6502a

10. Andres Cantu macrumors 68030

Andres Cantu

And so the saga with Samsung being at the top of the Android hill ends and Google's begins...

11. Bbqthis macrumors 6502a

Bbqthis

12. kdarling macrumors P6

kdarling

First university coding class = 47 years ago
    Time to start over and bring out the Note 8 early.

Or please... hurry up with the folding phablets!

13. ineedamac macrumors 6502

The US CPSC says to power these down and return them. Not what I'd want to hear if I owned one of those phones.

14. Mefisto macrumors 6502a

Mefisto

Ignoring all the jokes and whatnot, this is actually a pretty big deal. Good thing Samsung are taking action, but one has to wonder whether it's too late. From a PR standpoint, that is. Obviously it's bad, but how bad, only time will tell I guess.

Good thing is that the material damages, while substantial, haven't been any more severe.

15. JCrz macrumors 6502

Don't worry—the Note 8 is rumored to have a fireproof body.

16. Feenician macrumors 601

Feenician

Right would be better than early this time around ;)

17. 2010mini macrumors 68040

Early? Isn't that how this issue started?

18. canucksfan88 macrumors 6502a

canucksfan88

Bad bad bad for Samsung, but I'm glad. Figure out the problem and fix it so no one else gets hurt or even killed.

From a brand perspective, I think should just give everyone a free S7 and cann the entire Note 7. Cut their losses and move on to developing a safe Note 8.

I would also hope this thread doesn't turn this into an Apple vs Samsung/Android debate. People have their preference.

19. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

Really wonder if the Note brand will survive at all, really wouldn't surprise me to see them completely rebrand their S-Pen-capable phones to something else.

20. Mac Fly (film) macrumors 65816

Mac Fly (film)

I believe their brand has been damaged for good. Imagine a Mom with a newly born picking out her next smartphone.

Husband: "Shall we get the Samsung, the LG, the iPhone or the Google phone? I think we should get the Samsung, I hear they fixed the issue where you wake up surrounded by smoke."

Wife: "Pardon?"

21. canadianreader macrumors 6502

canadianreader

I wanna mention below The Verge article title which I believe is appropriate to what I feel is Samsung pure arrogance and lack of attention and empathy towards its most loyal customers.

Samsung just recalled the Galaxy Note 7 — without using the word recall

22. flat five macrumors 603

flat five

23. citysnaps macrumors 601

I agree. Going forward any mention of the Note will be associated with memories a phone that's potentially dangerous to property and life, and, how Samsung botched dealing with the situation.

May even go deeper than just the Note.

24. mdlooker macrumors 65816

mdlooker

Dag, can they even send a text saying Phone on fire, text back later! ?

IMG_6337.jpg