Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Some analysts expect Apple to introduce a larger "iPad Pro" later this fall, but Samsung has beaten them to the punch. The Korean firm today announced a pair of 12.2" Galaxy tablets running Android.

ipadvssamsung12.jpg
Engadget got a hands on with the 12.1-inch Galaxy NotePro, noting that it "simply isn't designed for optimal portability" and that it is awkward to hold for long periods of time. Weighing in at 1.66 lbs with a 2560x1600 pixel display at 247 ppi, the device is significantly larger than the iPad Air.
First, let's discuss the key specs. With a larger Note comes an even larger 9,500mAh battery, an 8MP rear camera paired with a 2MP front camera, "super clear" WQXGA LCD panel, IR support, dual-band WiFi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac MIMO, USB 3.0 and Bluetooth 4.0. The LTE model promises support for 800/900/1800/2100/2600+850, while you'll get quad-band HSPA+ (with a max of 21Mbps).

The Note Pro 12.2 runs Android 4.4 KitKat, but the user experience is drastically different than any Note we've played with before. Instead of being graced with a standard Android/TouchWiz home screen panel when pressing the home hardware button, you get whisked away to a new interface lovingly called Magazine UX. This experience consists of three separate customizeable screen panels: one for your office/workspace, another for personal use and a last one that handles your social networks and media.
The Verge also has a hands-on video with the new tablets:

There are two 12.2-inch variants -- the GalaxyNotePro which includes Samsung's S Pen functionality, and the Galaxy TabPro which does not -- though both include custom Samsung software and firmware. It will come in LTE, 3G and Wi-Fi-only variants and is expected to launch later this quarter. Pricing is not yet available.

Along with the 12.2-inch devices, Samsung introduced several other new Galaxy TabPro tablets, in 10.1- and 8.4-inch variations.

Article Link: Samsung Introduces 12.2" Galaxy Tablets Ahead of Rumored iPad Pro Introduction

sazivad

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2011
New Jersey
Preemptive damage control.

I don't think anyone doubts that Samsung would almost definitely have not released this, were it not for the iPad Pro rumors.

SilverL

macrumors member
Jan 14, 2008
This is the manufacturer version of "First!"

And we all know how that goes down.

Amplelink

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2012
Samsung's strategy in mobile electronics can be summed up in three ways:

1) Try and see what Apple has in the pipeline and get it out before they do

2) Introduce 50 different size variations of basically the same thing and see which sticks

3) Develop gimmicky software features to distinguish products from the other me-too products in the market

Orlandoech

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2011
lol... so pathetic.

But I do love Samsung TVs and they are the only Samsung product I own lol.

Old Muley

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2009
Titletown USA
Quick, let's tell Samsung that Apple is producing a 3-wheeled, two person car that is powered by sunshine and rainbows. I'd love to see what they come up with.

peterh988

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2011
I'm still convinced that iPad Pro and iWatch, etc, are all huge trolls by Apple precisely to get Samsung scrambling to release a sub-standard product in the race to claim "First!"

ToasterFridge next!

osx11

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2011
We should spread the rumor that Apple is planing on releasing a diamond-encrusted iPhone and hope that Samsung actually builds it and goes bankrupt. :D

stark93

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2012
Preemptive damage control.

I don't think anyone doubts that Samsung would almost definitely have not released this, were it not for the iPad Pro rumors.

It's just so they can say "We were first".

Lets go iPad Pro!!! :)

Aragornii

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2010
There is a line between what is convenient to hold in your hands for moderate periods of time, and what is more convenient to rest on your laptop or a desktop. I can only imagine 12.2" sits on the other side of that line for a majority of users.

sazivad

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2011
New Jersey
…Develop gimmicky software features to distinguish products from the other me-too products in the market

Dude. My phone can be a mother****ing TV remote.

I don't know why anyone would buy an iPhone when you can get the clearly superior Samsung™ Galaxy® 4G LTE™ Snapdragon™ NFC© Quad-Core® PenTile™ 128 GB, now with TV Remote Plus.™

carjakester

macrumors 68020
Oct 21, 2013
Midwest
am i the only one who doesn't see why one would need a bigger screen? the regular iPad is more than enough for most apps, unless it was able to multitask i don't see the purpose.

macrumors 601
May 19, 2011
Int. Samsung HQ: "Hey boss, there's rumours that Apple are gonna make a 12" 'iPad Pro' this year"..."Well, then, we'll do it first. We'll call it...ummmmm...Galaxy Tab 12.2. You guys can have that released in like a week, right? Ignore basic functionality and effort."

texasguy

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2007
Houston
As Bette Midler once said...

Why bother? Messy interface, too heavy, and certainly not ready for prime time. IMHO.

darkslide29

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2011
San Francisco, California
Given the initial impressions, I really believe Samsung got baited into releasing this product based on the rumor. Same as the iWatch rumors, they wanted to beat Apple to the punch to show they don't always copy, and failed to truly wow.
They are better off releasing things when they are clearly copying, when they have a nice Apple product to base it off of.

On a more serious note, I imagine this tablet is 16:9, and wonder how a similarly sized iPad in 4:3 aspect would compare and affect usability.

iSRS

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2010
The Air in the picture shows you how Apple will get there, if the do. It will be considerably smaller than the GTab 12.2

dylin

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2010
California
Given the initial impressions, I really believe Samsung got baited into releasing this product based on the rumor. Same as the iWatch rumors, they wanted to beat Apple to the punch to show they don't always copy, and failed to truly wow.
They are better off releasing things when they are clearly copying, when they have a nice Apple product to base it off of.

On a more serious note, I imagine this tablet is 16:9, and wonder how a similarly sized iPad in 4:3 aspect would compare and affect usability.

I agree.

Not that i hate samsung in any way. I used to own the first Galaxy S phone on T-mobile, and i currently own a galaxy tab 2 7.0. I think samsung just wants to be first to see if they can grab the market with these tablets, but there are so many tablets already out there and so many people already own one, i don't know why they would give up their current tablet for these "pro" ones.

I will say that out of those tablets mentioned, the 8.4 one would probably make me a happy camper,

if i got it for free.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.