Samsung Kills Headphone Jack in Latest Smartphone After Years of Mocking Apple

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Dec 10, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Samsung today introduced its latest smartphone, the Galaxy A8s. It is Samsung's first smartphone with an Infinity-O display, which has a nearly edge-to-edge, uninterrupted design beyond a small hole for the front-facing camera.

[​IMG]

It is also Samsung's first smartphone without a headphone jack, much to the amusement of iPhone users, as Samsung has mocked Apple for over two years over its decision to remove the headphone jack from the iPhone 7 in 2016, a trend that has continued through to the iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max, and iPhone XR.

[​IMG]

While on stage unveiling the new Galaxy Note7 in 2016, for example, Samsung executive Justin Denison made sure to point out that the device came with a headphone jack. "Want to know what else it comes with?" he asked. "An audio jack. I'm just saying," he answered, smirking as the audience laughed.

And earlier this year, Samsung mocked the iPhone X's lack of a headphone jack in one of its "Ingenius" ads promoting the Galaxy S9.

In the ad, a customer at an Apple Store asks if he can use his wired headphones with the iPhone X, and the employee informs him that he will need a dongle. The customer then inquires about charging at the same time, and the employee says he'll need another dongle. "So, a double dongle," the customer says.

To use wired headphones with the Galaxy A8s, a mid-range device for the Chinese market, users must use a USB-C to 3.5mm jack adapter.

While rumors suggest Samsung's upcoming Galaxy S10 will continue to feature a headphone jack, it could be the company's last flagship handset to have one. In October, Korean website ETNews said Samsung is considering removing the headphone jack from the Galaxy Note10 in 2019 and Galaxy S11 in 2020.

Samsung isn't the first tech giant to mock Apple's decision to remove the headphone jack, only to follow suit. Google poked fun at the iPhone 7's lack of headphone jack while unveiling its original Pixel smartphone in 2016, and then the Pixel 2 launched without one just a year later. Well, well, well. How the turntables...

Article Link: Samsung Kills Headphone Jack in Latest Smartphone After Years of Mocking Apple

2. BigBoy2018, Dec 10, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2018

BigBoy2018 macrumors regular

BigBoy2018

3. jsmith189 macrumors 65816

jsmith189

We knew it was only a matter of time. That's what they do. Make fun of Apple for making moves for the attention, then quietly implement those same changes.

4. AnonMac50 macrumors 65816

No no no no no. That’s not good! I was planning to buy a new Galaxy in 2019, and if the new S and Note phones don’t have it I might look elsewhere. :(

5. ThisBougieLife macrumors 68000

ThisBougieLife

If there’s one thing I’ve learned about technology over the past several years it’s that eventually, everyone ends up copying Apple. :)

6. Jimmy Bubbles macrumors 6502

Jimmy Bubbles

7. dannyyankou macrumors 604

dannyyankou

8. vertical smile macrumors 68030

vertical smile

A little embarrassing for Samsung.

9. Return Zero, Dec 10, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2018

Return Zero macrumors 6502a

Return Zero

It’s not “truly edge-to-edge”. It still has a chin.

EDIT: Thanks for correcting the story. Death to chins :D

10. robsp2000 macrumors member

Wow, now millions of more people won't be inconvenienced either

11. domneedscoffee macrumors newbie

domneedscoffee

12. Beck Show macrumors regular

Beck Show

13. Abazigal macrumors G3

Abazigal

14. sirozha macrumors 6502a

I have had an iPhone 7 for over two years now, and I still think it was asinine to remove the headphone jack in favor of the Lightning connector.

At least Samsung is using a standard port - USB-C, so one adapter (or one pair of earphones) would work with any other standards based device. Apple is now eliminating the Lightning port in favor of USB-C, so now you have to have three different ways to connect headphones to a device in the Apple ecosystem. This is just dumb and sloppy.

Lightning was a transitional connector. Everyone knew it. The standard is USB-C. Apple should have waited with removing the headphone jack until they fully transition to the standards based connector on their iPhones and iPads.

15. JAdmiral macrumors member

Hey, everyone has their likes and dislikes, but... have you tried going to a BT headset?

16. Macintoshrumors macrumors 6502

Macintoshrumors

It’s 2018 almost 2019, who still uses 100yr old tech, headphone jack what? It’s all wireless baby. Ohh and the people who do are a minority out of the entire global smartphone industry.

17. FrenchRoasted macrumors regular

FrenchRoasted

18. entropys macrumors 6502

entropys

I wonder which is less distracting, a notch against the top edge, or a round hole in the corner?
    Probably you quickly get used to either, but I would suspect the odd bit of light all the way around the lens might be a bit more distracting, but only a bit.

19. Baymowe335 macrumors 68040

The camera hole and chin...hahahaha. Samsung is so terrible. AND they removed the headphone jack?

Nice copied camera design on the back too.

20. jasonefmonk macrumors regular

Well we knew this would come eventually. They are due for a more substantial redesign this spring/fall for the Galaxy S/Note line, I wonder if the headphone jack will stay on their flagships this time.

I like where and how they place the camera in the display, but I don’t like the different bezel comparing top/bottom and the sides.

21. grtoceanrd macrumors newbie

Same excuse, Apple has Jony :p

22. Chloros macrumors regular

Chloros

Oh cool.....a thread where the kids get to post

23. SactoGuy18 macrumors 68030

SactoGuy18

Not surprised. The arrival of Bluetooth 5.0 has made it possible for higher quality audio through a Bluetooth link, and that makes it way more practical to get rid of the headphone jack.

24. corebeliefs Suspended

corebeliefs

25. vicviper789 macrumors regular

I am not an audiophile by any means but I do hear a big difference between wired and blue tooth headphones. I am holding on to my 6S+ with pure dorm grip until it dies..