Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Samsung today launched a new pair of monitors, including the latest version of the iMac-like Smart Monitor M8. The monitor is priced at $699.99 for the 32-inch option and $649.99 for a new 27-inch option, although as of now Samsung is only taking orders on the former size.

samsung-m8-2023-update.jpg

New additions to the Smart Monitor M8 include HDR10+ support and portrait orientation. The monitor includes a 4K UHD flat LCD panel with 400 nits of brightness, a 60Hz refresh rate, and a new pivot stand so that you can turn the display 90 degrees for portrait orientation.

In terms of Apple-related features, the Smart Monitor M8 retains the previous generation's AirPlay support so that you can connect Apple devices to the monitor and view content on the display. There's also USB-C charging connectivity, an upgraded 2K SlimFit webcam, smart TV apps, a gaming hub, and more.

Both sizes have a 11.39mm thick chassis, which is 0.1mm thinner than Apple's iMac, and include a flat back, thin bezels, and a height and tilt adjustable stand. You can get the new 32-inch Smart Monitor M8 in white, blue, pink, or green from Samsung's website for $699.99 right now.

samsung-smart-monitor.jpg

If you want to save a bit of money and don't need any of the upgrades to the new Smart Monitor M8, Samsung does still have the previous version at a discount. You can get this model of the Smart Monitor M8 for $449.99, down from $699.99, which remains the best price of the year so far on this device.

The other monitor that Samsung launched today is the 49-inch Odyssey OLED G9 Curved Smart Gaming Monitor. It's available for pre-order right now at a discounted price of $2,199.99, down from $2,499.00. The monitor is expected to ship by the end of the month, around June 26.

OLED-G9-HardcoreGamer.jpg

The 49-inch monitor is aimed at enhancing gaming sessions with an OLED screen that features Samsung's Neo Quantum Processor Pro to provide whiter whites and deeper blacks. The display also curves around the user's field of view and features a 240Hz refresh rate, with easy access to numerous streaming services via the Gaming Hub.

You can pre-order the 49-inch Odyssey OLED G9 Curved Smart Gaming Monitor today for $2,199.99 on Samsung's website. Anyone who opts to pre-order the monitor in this early order window will also get a $250 Samsung gift card for a limited time.

Note: MacRumors is an affiliate partner with Samsung. When you click a link and make a purchase, we may receive a small payment, which helps us keep the site running.

Article Link: Samsung Launches Updated iMac-Like Smart Monitor M8 and 49-Inch Odyssey OLED G9 Curved Gaming Monitor

syklee26

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2005
Isn't G9 supposed to be superior to S9? why are people dying for S9 when G9 is supposed to be better?

• Disagree
Reactions: Ener Ji

hoorayforhollywood

macrumors regular
Apr 26, 2017
Genuine question to the group: I'm not a gamer but for editing work, photo work, etc, is there an advantage to a curved monitor or does it represent everything as bit - what's the right word - skewed?

StrangeNoises

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2011
This is not an iMac-like monitor as it is 4K. Samsung is launching a new monitor later this year that is 5K, and that one is "iMac-like".

I believe Samsung is calling it the ViewFinity S9.
Yeah, where is that anyway? Starting to look a bit vaporous. I wonder, is it harder to make it cheaper than the Studio Display and not be shh-rubbish than everyone was saying?

jmho

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2021
How many PPI would the Studio Display be if the resolution were the same but the screen was 49" like the Samsung?

You can't really calculate this because the pixels wouldn't be square anymore, but the Samsung monitor would have to be 10284x2892 to have the same PPI as the Studio Display.

Reactions: G5isAlive

ultrafiel80

macrumors member
Feb 20, 2019
I've been researching displays to replace my old Apple Thunderbolt displays that I have at work. Due to cost, my work will likely deny any attempt to get an Apple Studio Display, so options are a bit limited. Regardless, here are some options that seem workable, all at 32-inches 4k:

• Dell UltraSharp U3223QE
  • HP Z32k G3 4K USB-C Display
  • LG 32UQ85R
  • Samsung 32" M80C (the model reference in this article)
I don't know what would be best, and some of them probably even use the same display. I lean towards the Dell or HP. While I wish any of these were retina, it just isn't where the industry has gone (except for Apple). I imagine most manufacturers won't go to 5k/6k screens, and the next jump will be when 8k becomes the next big thing—which we are still years away from.

I will say that I am tempted to get a 42 inch C2 LG OLED for home to use as my main display. Obviously the PPI is low (104.9) but it is pretty close to a 27" 1440p panel (109). The fact that I'll be viewing it farther back on a desk would help, and the OLED contrast and blacks would be amazing. I do have some concerns, but there are a number of people that currently do this and so I'm tempted to try as well.

If Apple could release a more-budget Studio display at $999 this conversation wouldn't even need to happen. Or in my dreams sell a 32-inch 6k display around $2000...

Reactions: hxlover904

esrdias

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2023
Yeah, where is that anyway? Starting to look a bit vaporous. I wonder, is it harder to make it cheaper than the Studio Display and not be shh-rubbish than everyone was saying?
Viewfinity S9 is scheduled to launch at September. Samsung has just released de S8 models.

crsh1976

macrumors 68000
Jun 13, 2011
I've been researching displays to replace my old Apple Thunderbolt displays that I have at work. Due to cost, my work will likely deny any attempt to get an Apple Studio Display, so options are a bit limited. Regardless, here are some options that seem workable, all at 32-inches 4k:

• Dell UltraSharp U3223QE
  • HP Z32k G3 4K USB-C Display
  • LG 32UQ85R
  • Samsung 32" M80C (the model reference in this article)
I don't know what would be best, and some of them probably even use the same display. I lean towards the Dell or HP. While I wish any of these were retina, it just isn't where the industry has gone (except for Apple). I imagine most manufacturers won't go to 5k/6k screens, and the next jump will be when 8k becomes the next big thing—which we are still years away from.

I will say that I am tempted to get a 42 inch C2 LG OLED for home to use as my main display. Obviously the PPI is low (104.9) but it is pretty close to a 27" 1440p panel (109). The fact that I'll be viewing it farther back on a desk would help, and the OLED contrast and blacks would be amazing. I do have some concerns, but there are a number of people that currently do this and so I'm tempted to try as well.

If Apple could release a more-budget Studio display at $999 this conversation wouldn't even need to happen. Or in my dreams sell a 32-inch 6k display around $2000...
Personally, Dell's Ultrasharp line is my go-to, the U3223QE and U2723QE models with black IPS are really good.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.