Samsung May Announce Galaxy Note 5 in August to Beat iPhone Launch

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 10, 2015.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Samsung is planning to move up the launch of the Galaxy Note 5 by one month to avoid competing with Apple's annual iPhone event in September, according to The Wall Street Journal. The South Korean handset maker will reportedly unveil the next Galaxy Note in mid-August instead of announcing the smartphone at the IFA Berlin trade show in early September as it has done for four consecutive years.

[​IMG]

Apple introduced the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus just six days after the Galaxy Note 4 was announced on September 3 last year, shifting much of the media coverage and consumer attention away from Samsung. With the launch of the so-called "iPhone 6s" and "iPhone 6s Plus" also likely to be in September, Samsung is reportedly looking to avoid the same fate with the Galaxy Note 5.

Article Link: Samsung May Announce Galaxy Note 5 in August to Beat iPhone Launch

2. maplingstorie macrumors 6502

Who cares. I'm done with Samsung. waiting for a 2gb iPhone

3. ThunderSkunk macrumors 68030

ThunderSkunk

I'm surprised it took them this long to decide to get out front.

4. ximdotro macrumors newbie

ximdotro

5. CEmajr macrumors 601

That's when you know you're the beta company. When the other guy's regularly scheduled release dates cause you to alter yours because you can't compete otherwise.

6. OrangeInc macrumors regular

Can't wait to see this phone. The last 3 notes have been basically the exact same phone. Hoping for something refreshing in the design department.

7. nj-morris macrumors 68000

nj-morris

8. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

Showing some desperation perhaps? Isn't the best always saved for last? :p

9. ColdShadow macrumors 65816

ColdShadow

I really like Galaxy Note series,obviously I'm iOS user (iPhone/iPad and ofcourse Mac) but Galaxy Note is the best "phablet" imo.I own iPhone 6,but if I want to go bigger,it's more likely gonna be Note instead of 6 Plus.

10. marvz macrumors 6502a

marvz

More a Samsung move.

11. GreyOS macrumors 68040

GreyOS

If we know this now, Apple probably knew it a while ago.

Recently it was reported the iPhone 6s was going into production 'early'.

Maybe Apple are aiming for an early announcement and release too, to trump Samsung?

12. zakarhino macrumors demi-god

zakarhino

Looks like there really was a reason behind this image from the News app :rolleyes:

Credits to itsdomik.

[​IMG]

13. keysofanxiety macrumors G3

keysofanxiety

Noo don't say that, Tim Cook might read this thread and think you're talking about storage rather than RAM :p

14. nj-morris macrumors 68000

nj-morris

That would be awesome.

15. justperry macrumors G3

justperry

Samsung should design a nice logo instead of a name on a device, most of the time it's also way too big.
    Get a logo which can be instantly recognised like for instance Apple, Raspberry, RIM .....

16. Jsameds macrumors 68040

17. Razeus macrumors 603

Given Samsung's losses the last year or so, they're competing with the wrong company. They should be going toe to toe with Xiaomi, who's eating their lunch.

18. Kissaragi macrumors 68020

I nearly kept the note 4 over an iphone 6. it was only those damn capacitive back and multi tasking buttons that made me return it, I kept hitting them by mistake when I was holding the phone in landscape. Other than that it was a fantastic phone. Really hope the note 5 has an option to enable software buttons.

19. dingdong macrumors regular

dingdong

Can't wait! Note 4 was superb with SD Slot and removable battery. I actually don't mind if they stick to something similar in design, so not sure what else they can offer in that department. Hardware will be a beast for sure.

20. MacFather macrumors 6502a

MacFather

lets face the truth, Samsung created phablet category and made it popular

21. Ivan0310 macrumors member

Ivan0310

If they're trying to redirect the conversation, I really don't see it working long-term. They'll get some early buzz as people are still awaiting the next iPhone release, but once it happens, all eyes will be on Apple once again.

22. jkruehne macrumors regular

jkruehne

August or september – it is still Samsung on Android … :D

23. darkknight14 macrumors 6502

darkknight14

Interesting, I am not sure historically if iPhones have entered production this early before.

Then again Apple like to release the latest iOS at the same time and I can't imagine iOS 9 being ready by the end of August.

Lets get back to a WWDC release schedule HOORAAH!

24. Reason077 macrumors 68020

Reason077

25. koulmj Suspended

koulmj

I'm finally in a position where they could release the iPhone in Aug or Sept, and I would be renewing my contract in Feb...so I'm excited.

But I really want my small screen.