Samsung Mocks iPhone's Camera, Lack of Headphone Jack, and More in Latest Galaxy S9 Ads

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 20, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Samsung has expanded upon its "Ingenius" ad campaign with three new videos titled Dongle, Fast Charger, and Camera.

In each of the videos, Samsung depicts an Apple Store employee having a conversation with a customer, attempting to justify the iPhone compared to the Galaxy S9, as it relates to the camera, dongles, and more.

In the first ad, a customer asks if he can use his wired headphones with the iPhone X, and the Genius informs him that he will need a dongle. The customer then inquires about charging at the same time, and the Genius says he'll need another dongle. The customer then says, "so, a double dongle."

For what it's worth, rumors suggest Apple will include a faster 18W charger in the box with its upcoming 2018 iPhones.

In the second ad, which has the same format, a customer asks if the iPhone X comes with a fast charger, like the Galaxy S9 does. The employee says no, informing her that she can purchase a Lightning to USB-C cable, along with a USB-C power adapter, for fast charging. The customer has a puzzled reaction.

The third ad emphasizes that the Galaxy S9+'s camera has a higher DxOMark score than the iPhone X--99 versus 97 respectively--although DxOMark has attracted some criticism, and camera quality can be subjective.

Samsung shared the first ad in this series earlier this week, highlighting the Galaxy S9's faster LTE download speeds versus the iPhone X, based on Ookla's Speedtest Intelligence Data from February to April 2018.

The ads don't even try to hide the fact that it's supposed to be an Apple Store, and are a clear jab at "Geniuses." Samsung has repeatedly tried to mock Apple and the iPhone, though, so this is par for course for them.

Article Link: Samsung Mocks iPhone's Camera, Lack of Headphone Jack, and More in Latest Galaxy S9 Ads

2. geoff5093 macrumors 68020

geoff5093

To be fair, those are two very valid complaints about the iPhone X. Let's hope at least the fast charger is included in this years iPhone.

3. AnthonyHarris macrumors 6502

AnthonyHarris

4. fizzyfizz macrumors member

fizzyfizz

These adverts are embarrassing. Why doesn't Samsung focus on showcasing their products instead of bashing the competition? Are they trying to be Microsoft or something?!

5. fokmik macrumors 68020

6. isaac_appleweed, Jul 20, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2018

isaac_appleweed macrumors newbie

isaac_appleweed

Everyone: Samsung...stop. Stop, Samsung. Will you stop, Samsung? Samsung, stop. It's time to stop Samsung. Please stop, Samsung. Samsung, you have to stop. Samsung, stop now.

*Samsung releases new "Ingenius" ad mocking the iPhone X's thick bezels*

Transcript

Apple customer: "Oh so the iPhone is suppose to have this really gorgeous bezel-free display, right? How come the Galaxy S9's screen bezels look thinner?"

Apple Genius: "Oh, that's because Jony Ive decided to make the borders thicker so you know...you can buy the next iPhone which will have slimmer bezels."

Apple customer: "So I guess I should just get an S9 instead because it is already better than the next new iPhone...?"

Apple Genius: "Oh look, here's an iPod, it's really revolutionary."

*"Switch to Galaxy" music plays*

7. kaiseryeahhh macrumors regular

kaiseryeahhh

When your main sales argument is to discredit others, it is that your company is not doing well....

8. GuruZac macrumors 6502

GuruZac

I’ve always been told when one has resorted to personal attacks, they’ve lost the debate. Cute ads though, Samsung.

9. levitynyc macrumors 65816

10. macduke, Jul 20, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2018

macduke macrumors G3

macduke

Oh boy. Now we've got DxOMark scores being referenced in commercials. What is the world coming to? They’re throwing everything at the wall to see what sticks.

Edit: typo

11. billybobfred macrumors newbie

When there is nothing exciting to note about your own product...

12. brofkand macrumors member

This is just like Chevy jabbing Ford because Ford uses an aluminum bed on the F-150. Chevy will be using an aluminum bed soon.

Samsung will drop the 3.5mm jack sooner than later as well.

13. jardinager macrumors regular

jardinager

These ads are laughably bad. What a waste of time and resources.

14. robsp2000 macrumors member

Never see a S9 in the ad. Not sure how effective this type of ad is. Can't see the average consumer following this. It's just dumb advertising.

15. MrGimper macrumors 603

MrGimper

It's not like lack of a fast charger in the box, or lack of a headphone jack, actually badly injured anyone or anything.....

16. brdeveloper macrumors 68020

brdeveloper

The problem with Samsung is that Samsung devices break, perhaps just like Apple devices, but Apple provides me a good support.

17. MrGimper macrumors 603

MrGimper

They can spend all this money on crap ads as they save all their money by not having to do any R&D

18. jimothyGator macrumors regular

jimothyGator

Samsung ads always strike me as preaching to the choir. They appeal to smug Samsung fans, who then turn the ads into talking points to take jabs at iPhone users…and we smug iPhone users are just as unswayed by the ads as the jabs.

Will the ads turn an iPhone fan into a Samsung customer? I doubt it, but that's probably not Samsung is trying to do. Will it solidify Samsung fan's opinion even further? Probably, but they were already Samsung fans. So the big question is, do these ads persuade customers without strong allegiances to become Samsung customers?

My gut says, no; snarky, smug ads appeal only to snarky, smug fans. But I could be wrong.

19. Sefstah macrumors 6502a

I’m a Mac, and I’m a PC...
    Wasn’t that long ago.

20. sweet_matty macrumors newbie

Pops was in advertising, and always said that when an ad is comparing itself to another to buy the other. The ad's manufacture is admitting the other is the best and they are trying to come up to that standard.

21. GuruZac macrumors 6502

GuruZac

Well and actually the funny part, is that even without those features, Apple still manages to sell a lot more iPhones than Samsung does Galaxy and Note combined.

22. Dragonlord_66 macrumors newbie

Dragonlord_66

Wait till SAMSUNG removes the headphone jack and did i mention how the S6,7,8,9 all have cameras that over saturates the colour
    while the fast charging is a valid point but in my defence if you have a macbook your use of iphone will be less like for phone call, message,reminder,calender all can be done through the mac.
    while this argument is valid for me most people dont use laptop

23. Flyc17 macrumors newbie

Yes. All valid arguments. No headphone jack is why my wife went with Samsung and gave up on Apple. I plan on doing the same when my iPhone dies.