Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MarkB786

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2016
USA
Yes. All valid arguments. No headphone jack is why my wife went with Samsung and gave up on Apple. I plan on doing the same when my iPhone dies.

I gave my son my old ip7+, and he HATES it because of the dongle issue. Plus my wife is upset with her MacBook; again the dongle. We spent two hours late in NYC hunting down a dongle for my son. The dongles are STUPID and show Apple's arrogance.

Last edited:

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
These adverts are embarrassing. Why doesn't Samsung focus on showcasing their products instead of bashing the competition? Are they trying to be Microsoft or something?!
They do have adds that only talk about their products.

Anyhow these are all valid points.

pacalis

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2011
These are fair criticisms. Apple was too early in eliminating the headphone jack. Wireless headphones are still pretty crappy, and most people carry wired headphones when travelling.

Last thing you want is hunting for adapters and chargers, when your phone is dying and you want to listen to something.

And, sure, a double dongle can help, but you don't want to be seen using that in public, even where it is legal... : )

wigby

macrumors 68030
Jun 7, 2007
Samsung ads always strike me as preaching to the choir. They appeal to smug Samsung fans, who then turn the ads into talking points to take jabs at iPhone users…and we smug iPhone users are just as unswayed by the ads as the jabs.

Will the ads turn an iPhone fan into a Samsung customer? I doubt it, but that's probably not Samsung is trying to do. Will it solidify Samsung fan's opinion even further? Probably, but they were already Samsung fans. So the big question is, do these ads persuade customers without strong allegiances to become Samsung customers?

My gut says, no; snarky, smug ads appeal only to snarky, smug fans. But I could be wrong.
Totally agree but I have observed a difference too. I have many friends and family, some with Samsung and some iPhone. The iPhone users are generally unaware of any rivalry and just go about their daily business. But every Samsung user seems to have a chip on their shoulder so every time they get a new phone, they have to show every iPhone user how great their camera is or how much better their Samsung phone looks.

I think ads like these have helped to create such attitudes. Also look at the Apple ads and how their customers also seem to parallel the attitudes expressed in those commercials.

Reactions: Mal_R

cipher29

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2009
These adverts are embarrassing. Why doesn't Samsung focus on showcasing their products instead of bashing the competition? Are they trying to be Microsoft or something?!

Usually, I would agree, however - it was Apple that started this type of advertising back in the day with Mac vs PC ads. Also, there's nothing Samsung is saying here that isn't true.

Suspended
Aug 29, 2015
You mean the whole 2 points in DxOMark?
An advert is not enough, would make a whole 3hour long film starring Mel Gibson about that.

I know this depends on a person, but I am a heavy user when it comes to music. I have managed to skillfully break the cables or damage the actual jack on all of the headphones/ earphones, I have ever owned .
EarPods are just bloody amazing. If they would have a way to adjust volume, those would be just close to perfect. Do not miss the jack at the slightest.

And as for the Samsung ads, they usually like to insult the people they are trying to turn into their potential customers. Just don’t get it.

MarkB786

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2016
USA
Yes. All valid arguments. No headphone jack is why my wife went with Samsung and gave up on Apple. I plan on doing the same when my iPhone dies.

I have had a Note 8 for ten months. LOVE the phone and Oreo. Apple folk kept telling me that I would be back to the iphone within a year. No chance.

Princejb134

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2012

because they dont believe in their product. Samsung phone sales prove that. Instead their providing free advertisement for the apple logo lol. Good job samsung

robsp2000

macrumors member
Jun 7, 2005

Yes but when it's Apple doing it, it's a "genius campaign", "I love these ads", "they are sooooo right", etc.
These ads are full of Mac pointing out what it does, not just bashing PC. And the focus was not on minor PC issues. Fast charger and support for a soon to be completely outdated analog port are not the same as viruses, spyware, etc...

jonnyb098

macrumors 68040
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan
Ok these are just plain funny now. The dongle one is really good. Agree or not they are actually funny commercials. (Apple sheep commence attack)

Reactions: Hamado

alexgowers

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2012
1. Leaving out a headphone jack is a legitimate concern, however a dongle is pretty standard even on analogue equipment with 1/4 inch jacks and not a big deal. Bluetooth, wireless is also liberatingly superb, no more do you have the fear of pinging a phone off a table with the cable. I totally get the initial thinking but wired headphones on a mobile phone is wrong and anyone on the fence should just try Bluetooth headphones for a month and see if they go back!

2. Fast charging is only needed if your battery runs out midday. Samsung are you pointing out a flaw?

3. DxO mark makes a single score for all camera qualities. If you think this makes for an apples to apples comparison you are a fool. Samsung your score is no straight up comparable or better, misleading the customer is dishonest.

MarkB786

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2016
USA
Apparently many of us forgot. Look how many (already) posts are faulting Samsung for explicitly putting down a competitor's offering... as if Apple never resorts to such stuff.

This. Amazing to me that people are still so blinded by the ever-dimming glow of the Apple brand.

Reactions: Elgaard

Mad.Whack

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2017

I did the same two years go and my wife's next phone will be a Samsung with a headphone jack as well.

It was a pretty smooth transition. Though the Android OS is way better than it was 2 years ago.

Blu-ray1972

macrumors member
Feb 1, 2013
Before I was iPhone I was anti-iPhone until I went through 4 Samsung Galaxies in one year. This was after having a different brand android phone and it having issues as well. At the point of the 4th galaxy replacement, I bought a used iPhone, sold the galaxy on eBay, and never looked back. With iPhones I've never had the issues I did with Android devices.

FFW a couple years and I buy a Samsung 10.1 inch tablet to use along side my older iPad for testing of our financial systems. This tablet was a new release and higher end. One year later, it's discontinued and well F*** me no more OS support coming from Samsung for it. My iPad was still getting new OS. I couldn't use the tablet because the OS was out of date and no longer considered secure by our standards. I couldn't use it any more.

So, who cares if you have to buy a fast charger separate, who cares if you have to use a dongle (the only non-bluetooth headset I have is the one which came with the phone and the one from my prior iPhone). It's stable and well supported.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.