Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011
39% drop in profits in this quarter. They are racing to the bottom with pricing on most of their phones.

going to be interesting to see the next quarter results that include the S6 in them.

theyve claimed that the S6 has been exceeding all sales expectations. The Money will be indicator if thats true or not.

just got to wait 3 months

l3it3r

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2011
Hagerstown, MD
compare the quarters by growth or loss. Apple is releasing new phones once a year. That time is reflected in q4. Samsung is down on their YoY Q1, and apple is SIGNIFICANTLY up. I'm fully expecting Apple to have an absolutely monster q4 this year. :D

sk1wbw

Suspended
May 28, 2011
Williamsburg, Virginia
I keep seeing stats showing phones "shipped" versus phones sold. Kinda pointless since shipped items don't really show much. Toyota ships more vehicles than the F150. See how much sense that doesn't make?

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
These articles are click bait and wind up being complete rehashes of other threads and discussions.

They should really just post the story and turn comments off with a link "see pretty much every other thread if you want to discuss Apple v Samsung"

:)

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
These articles are click bait and wind up being complete rehashes of other threads and discussions.

They should really just post the story and turn comments off with a link "see pretty much every other thread if you want to discuss Apple v Samsung"

Did you get my message?

newagemac

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2010
Not surprising at all. They just recently came out with S6 Edge, which obviously puts Samsung ahead of the pack. Wait for the third and fourth quarter, Apple should be back ahead.

The Edge or any other high end Samsung phone has very little to do it. Apple absolutely owns the high end. It's the tons of mid range and cheap phones Samsung sells that pushes their overall numbers up. Not that it matters to Apple.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
not gonna lie the Edge is one sexy phone. unfortunately it is running the wrong OS ;)

I've seen a few people with the Edge, and none so far with the S6 "non-Edge" variety. The Edge should help their profits next quarter since it sells for $100 more.

crsh1976

macrumors 68000
Jun 13, 2011
The funny thing is that everybody brings this up when some other company than Apple reports "shipped" rather than "sold" numbers, when it's Apple tho it's assumed any unit shipped is automatically sold because of some carefully-crafted fake shortages (come on now, Nintendo used to do this and it backfired big time) and a rather obsessive media spotlight on everything Apple-related.

I'm not denying Apple is insanely successful here, but there's obviously a big double standard going.

timbloom

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2002
The funny thing is that everybody brings this up when some other company than Apple reports "shipped" rather than "sold" numbers, when it's Apple tho it's assumed any unit shipped is automatically sold because of some carefully-crafted fake shortages (come on now, Nintendo used to do this and it backfired big time) and a rather obsessive media spotlight on everything Apple-related.

I'm not denying Apple is insanely successful here, but there's obviously a big double standard going.

This is MacRumors. It does not, in any way, claim to be without bias. I think the nature of the site indicated an innate bias.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011

Pretty much. Besides I think the real story is Samsung's profits being down for six consecutive quarters. I'm assuming that will turn around with the 6 and 6 Edge but to me that's a real news story, not some third party analytics firm estimating smartphone shipments.

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
Even though Samsung is back on top (no surprise I think), it is interesting to note that from Q12014 to Q1 2015, Samsung actually lost 7% market share, while Apple gained a bit more than 2%. What is also interesting is that Samsung only made $5.6b in profit on $44b in revenue for the quarter compared to Apples $15.6b profit on $58b in revenue.

kodos

macrumors 6502
May 1, 2010
I never thought I would ever buy a Samsung phone. Well, today I have an S6 Edge. And you know what? I always hated Android. But I'm really enjoying the freedom I have on this handset. It's pretty awesome to see how configurable this thing is, and I am enjoying things such as Tasker and IFTTT on it. Widgets work pretty well too.

It feels a lot more ... personal than my iOS or Windows Phone devices. Which is odd, I never thought I would like Android. But here I am.

And it's all thanks to the S6 Edge. Man, this thing draws attention. I've never seen so many people gawk at a phone before ... well, not since my original iPhone which I got on launch day!

A MacBook lover

Suspended
May 22, 2009
D.C.
The thing that really worries me about this report is the massive "others" category.

Fourth-placed Huawei gets an honourable mention for its 5% sales volume, but apparently fifth-placed and beyond vendors manage to chalk up an incredible 47.7% share of world wide sales volumes.

Is this really believable? Wouldn't it make sense to at least mention who these companies are that have almost half the sales volumes?

They don't want to report watch sales yet, it's too premature.

It's a new product
People will be returning, swapping, canceling pre-orders.
Heck, I pre-ordered 4 sport watches, one in each color (besides black). I'm only getting one though, im just waiting to see which one ships first.

lacreid

macrumors newbie
Apr 29, 2015
Mexico City
Just one little niggle

"Samsung recaptured the number one position with 83.2 million smartphones shipped in the first quarter, while Apple trailed in second with 61.2 million smartphones shipped during the three-month period ending March..."

In the case of Samsung, that number *does* mean units shipped. In the case of Apple, that number means units put in consumers' hands (who paid for them).

I always hate seeing these moronic comparisons. Also: there should be a value tier filter. You know, to highlight why Apple takes over 80% of global smartphone profits.

linkgx1

macrumors 68000
Oct 12, 2011
The amount of fanboyism is so funny in this thread. Samsung is actually taking steps to better themselves. It's competition....that's what the free market is supposed to do.

freediverx

macrumors 65816
Feb 19, 2006

Apple has never been caught inflating their numbers. Samsung, on the other hand...

RogerWilco

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2011
"It doesn't matter"

Sure thing Skippy, everyone *knows* the ocean that Apple swims is different from the other fishes. :rolleyes:

Take a look at the inventory build numbers from China and now the U.S., the writing is on the wall as far as profits going forward. When the clearance (some might say fire) sales start, Cook and the boys will have little choice but to join in the fun or watch (ha ha) their sales numbers fall off a cliff.

Amplelink

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2012
39% drop in profits in this quarter. They are racing to the bottom with pricing on most of their phones.

Being the world's largest doesn't matter if you're not also making the most profits. By all accounts, Apple seems to be dominating in that category.

freediverx

macrumors 65816
Feb 19, 2006
Hm. I find the opposite.

Apple's hardware is lovely, but iOS is a chore to look at and use.

Really, then why is it that you never see a toddler or a grandmother using an Android device? Most of the people I know who use an Android phone are not familiar with most of its features or settings. They bought it primarily due to its price point.

white4s

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2011
New Jersey
yea shamesung congrats on being the leader of unsold phones laying in warehouses

they can ship more but they'll NEVER sell more than apple (in terms of iphone's competitor, not those ****** cheap phones they also make)

----------

Hm. I find the opposite.

Apple's hardware is lovely, but iOS is a chore to look at and use.

ios couldn't be any more simpler to use what are you saying

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.