Samsung Plans to Launch a Flip Phone-Style Device With 6.7-inch Bendable Display Early Next Year

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Undeterred by its recent Galaxy Fold un-launch, Samsung is apparently set to unveil a luxury smartphone early next year that can be folded down into a compact-sized square, according to a new report from Bloomberg.

Samsung's Galaxy Fold hasn't even been released yet
The South Korean smartphone giant is working on a device with a 6.7-inch inner display that shrinks to a pocketable square when it's folded inward like a clamshell, according to people familiar with the product's development.
The smartphone giant is said to be collaborating with American designer Thom Browne on the upcoming phone, with the aim of "appealing to a broader range of consumers that includes those more interested in fashion, status and luxury than a device's tech specs." At the same time, the device will reportedly feature cutting-edge display technology and offer the nostalgic appeal of rejuvenating the flip-phone form factor.

The foldable phone is said to include a hole-punch selfie camera at the top of the inner display, while on the outside it will have two cameras that face rearwards when the phone is open and become front-facing when the device is flipped closed.

According to the paper's sources, Samsung aims to make its second bendable smartphone more affordable and thinner than this year's Galaxy Fold, although the launch of the successor device "may... hinge on how well the Fold performs after its imminent launch."

On that note, Samsung is said to have completed its redesign of the Galaxy Fold to resolve the multiple display failures that led to its delay. The South Korean company originally planned to roll out its $1,980 foldable phone on April 26, but was forced to delay the launch after several units sent out to reviewers broke during testing.

All of the issues were related to the device's screen, which was vulnerable to debris ingress. The new version of the Galaxy Fold, featuring several design and construction improvements, is now set to launch in September in select markets, with specific launch details to be shared as a launch approaches.

There have been some suggestions that Apple is exploring folding screen technology, but right now there are no rumors indicating Apple plans to actually release a foldable smartphone in the near future.

Article Link: Samsung Plans to Launch a Flip Phone-Style Device With 6.7-inch Bendable Display Early Next Year

rp2011

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2010
Will there be a Galaxy Map that can be folded multiple times an be put in a glove compartment or an envelope?
Honestly, scrolling and pinch to zoom “solved” the “fold” for the most part.
Sure foldable screens are kinda cool, and they’ve been looking for applications to use it on such as hand bags and folding phones, but the screens will eventually find a use case that makes sense.

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
“Fashion, status and luxury” caught my eye. Taking a page out of another’s playbook?
Sounds more like the next iteration of the Samsung Galaxy Folder 2 phone from 2017. Or maybe it's an iteration of the W2019... the way way way overpriced luxury flip phone they sell overseas. Probably the W2019. Sammy's been doing fashion, status and luxury for a while. Taking a page out of their own playbook. Video is of the older W2018

Eagle1337

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2017
Denmark
If they don't develop a new type of display technology they will keep breaking. new hinge or not. The current OLED screens cannot take the stress of continuous bending over time.

nfl46

macrumors 604
Oct 5, 2008
That’s cool and all and I guess you have to start somewhere. I’d be waiting on V3 of these devices in 2021. That’s when people will at least take them serious.

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
I am guessing it will be the same as the Razr foldable concept. Still not seeing a value proposition in any of these devices yet, but we'll see where it goes. It probably makes sense for them to pivot to a different type of device for the technology given the issues with v1. I think we are still a year or two away before these types of devices make an impact - it will likely take Apple to do so.

Crowbot

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2018
NYC
I expect it will work better than the first try but I still wonder whether it can last a year without some visible wear on the fold. Maybe that's enough for the person who can afford it.

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
Fanboys so jealous other companies are being innovative while Apple hasnt introduced anything appealing in years.
For me, it's cool screen tech without a compelling use case just yet. I am not sure people really need/want a flip phone again. Plus, Motorola already is releasing the same kind of device this year. Apple still seems to do pretty well, so their products are still appealing to many, maybe just not to you.

Reactions: johnnygee

ascender

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2005
Its great to see companies trying new things, but this is one where the tech just seems to be way off where it needs to be for the resultant product to be something people will want to use over what we have today. It just looks like being another compromised device. We have so many options for devices of different sizes for different use cases, I'm not sure who is crying out for something like this.

The idea is really cool, but that idea to me is like the devices they have in the Westworld TV series and we're obviously some way off that if we are literally just folding the current screens we have and hoping for the best.

Fixey

macrumors regular
May 16, 2017
All talk, they bragged about the last one, never sold now they’re bragging about a new one when we never got the first one.

Wait for foldable glass to be finalised and wait for more testing on OLED being folded just too early and irresponsible to release such a product but with Samsung that’s a none issue and we don’t have to worry because they will never release it just talk talk talk could not bring it to market guess what technology not ready yet what a surprise Samsung told you so