Samsung Removes Ad Mocking iPhone's Lack of Headphone Jack After Following Suit With Galaxy Note 10

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Aug 8, 2019.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Samsung has spent years releasing ads that mock Apple's decision to remove the 3.5mm headphone jack from the iPhone, a move that began with the iPhone 7 in 2016. Now that Samsung has removed the headphone jack from the Galaxy A8 and Galaxy Note 10, the company has quietly deleted these mocking ads from some of its YouTube channels.

[​IMG]
    From Samsung's ad "Growing Up"

As discovered by Business Insider, the commercial "Growing Up" has now been removed from the main Samsung YouTube channel and the Samsung Mobile USA channel. The ad was released by Samsung in November 2017 as push back against the iPhone X and to promote the Galaxy Note 8, and similar anti-dongle ads released in 2018 have also disappeared this year. This can be seen in the dead links on our article for the "Ingenious" ads from July 2018.

The original "Growing Up" ad is still available on the Samsung Malaysia channel, however, and can be seen below. The ad depicts the life of a young man who finally decides to switch from Apple to Samsung, with one of the main points of contention being the lack of a 3.5mm headphone jack.

Samsung has historically used a mocking strategy when it comes to advertising its own products, taking to pointing out the downsides of its competition in an effort to sell Galaxy smartphones. The company has also made fun of iPhones for their speed, Apple's Genius Bar, the Apple Pencil, and much more.

Samsung just announced the Note 10 and Note 10+ yesterday, including an AMOLED Cinematic Infinity Display (the Galaxy Note 10+ features the largest display yet in a Note device). The Cinematic Infinity Displays are nearly bezel free and include a small chin at the bottom and a single hole punch camera cutout. There is also an ultrasonic fingerprint sensor, face recognition, and -- of course -- no headphone jack.

Article Link: Samsung Removes Ad Mocking iPhone's Lack of Headphone Jack After Following Suit With Galaxy Note 10

2. MatthewUT44 macrumors member

3. ElectricPotato macrumors regular

ElectricPotato

4. jk1211 macrumors 6502

5. dannyyankou macrumors G3

dannyyankou

6. Trusteft macrumors 6502a

Trusteft

First time I see this ad. It's a good ad. It's funny.

7. Unity451 macrumors 6502

Unity451

8. otternonsense macrumors 65816

otternonsense

It's still beyond me why these companies choose to copycat even the worst of Apple's decisions :(

9. WWPD macrumors regular

WWPD

10. ElectricPotato macrumors regular

ElectricPotato

Don't search for this on Google.

11. ApostolisApo macrumors member

ApostolisApo

Does anyone know how exactly and in which point did they mention the headphone jack in their official presentation? I would love to see their faces and the exact words they used to mention it

12. bladerunner2000 macrumors 68020

bladerunner2000

Nobody asked to have the headphone jack removed, so why are Apple, Samsung and everyone else doing it?

13. scrapesleon macrumors 6502a

scrapesleon

14. Apathy Overdose macrumors member

This is why making fun of other companies is silly. There's only so much innovation to be done, inevitably your product will end up being very similar to that of the competitor you just made fun of.

15. az431 macrumors 65816

az431

Because your subjective opinion of the decisions don't square with reality. Plenty of people complained when cars replaced horses as well.

16. mrr macrumors regular

I have to admit that is a pretty entertaining and well crafted ad pointing out iPhone deficiencies. I am still waiting for Apple Pencil support.

17. AnthonyG6 macrumors regular

AnthonyG6

The advert is really funny, especially the guy with the 'notch' haircut! :D

18. Wiesenlooser macrumors 6502a

I mean everyone knew this was going to happen...

19. JetLaw macrumors regular

JetLaw

Most likely because the 3.5mm jack receptacle is quite long, which means that any device that has one has to either have bezels that are large enough to accommodate it so that the tip doesn't touch the screen, or be thick enough so that the jack can pass below the screen.

20. palmerc2 macrumors 68000

palmerc2

You’re familiar with the Mac vs PC ads yes?

21. az431 macrumors 65816

az431

because most of the planet has moved on from wires.

22. nacholibre macrumors newbie

nacholibre

Well...because... removing the headphone jack is a good decision. I’m much more happy with my airpods. Its much more convenient.

And for those who want to use their wired headphones, apple gave you adapter, I dont see why people on the internet are complaining.

23. kepler20b macrumors 6502

Im sure Samsung is quite content with their marketing rn.
    [​IMG]

24. az431 macrumors 65816

az431

the difference is the Apple ads were an accurate depiction of Apple's core philosophy and values, which remain unchanged to this date. Rather than just bashing the competition for something you plan to copy.

25. rosegoldoli macrumors regular

rosegoldoli