MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Samsung has coordinated with aviation officials around the world to set up exchange booths in "high traffic" airport terminals for owners of recalled Galaxy Note 7 smartphones (via The Verge).

The booths first appeared in South Korean airports, with similar exchange sites set to open across Australia and the U.S. for travelers to hand in the potentially dangerous devices.

Screen-Shot-2-800x530.jpg

According to one reporter, a Samsung exchange desk manned by the company's staff is already operational at San Francisco's international airport.

It's now a federal crime to board a flight with a Note 7 phone, following two global recalls by Samsung that failed to stem reports of the devices setting on fire, which caused property damage and injuries. Anyone caught with a Note 7 on a plane risks facing fines and up to 10 years' imprisonment.

Samsung is said to have cut its third quarter operating profit by $2.3 billion and adjusted profit expectations from $6.9 billion to $4.6 billion, following its discontinuation of the ill-fated Note 7.

Samsung has a team of representatives at SFO to help customers with the Note7 phone. It's banned from US flights. pic.twitter.com/2IiEcg6hsU - Sergio Quintana (@svqjournalist) October 17, 2016

The company is set to overhaul its mobile strategy next year to ensure product quality, according to one report. A supply source told the Korea Herald that the company is likely to scrap its annual two-flagship models strategy in favor of focusing on a single device.

Speculation suggests that would be the Galaxy S8, expected to launch in late February 2017, although Samsung will probably shake up its marketing strategy before then, meaning the new phone could be rebranded.

Article Link: Samsung Sets up Note 7 Exchange Booths in 'High Traffic' Airports

jerry16

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2016
across the universe
On a Delta flight this morning to Atlanta; they announced prominently that these phones are prohibited and to see a flight attendant immediately if you are in possession of one. Very embarrassing reminder to every passenger for Samsung over the loudspeaker on every domestic flight.

Hard to imagine worse continual negative publicity.

Last edited:
Comment

Nr123*123

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2014
Actually innovation can be risky. Could've played it safe like Apple and release the same phone for three years, but I'd rather they push the boundary.

This is a proactive move, which will instill confidence in consumers that Samsung are taking this seriously. Very good.

They've learned a sharp lesson and it will hopefully improve their products going forward.

Comment

ProVideo

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2011
Actually innovation can be risky. Could've played it safe like Apple and release the same phone for three years, but I'd rather they push the boundary.

This is a proactive move, which will instill confidence in consumers that Samsung are taking this seriously. Very good.

They've learned a sharp lesson and it will hopefully improve their products going forward.

Comment

dannys1

macrumors 68040
Sep 19, 2007
UK
I guess if you keep an Note 7 and it doesn't explode, in 10 years time it'll be very rare and probably worth something as a symbol of the ill fated Samsung mobile division.

Reactions: npolly0212
Comment

dannys1

macrumors 68040
Sep 19, 2007
UK

They rushed a phone out that was still slower than last years 4.7" iPhone (and thats if you ignore the fact it explodes)...Innovation!

Comment

chr1s60

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2007
California

There is a HUGE difference between innovation and stupidity. What Samsung did rushing a product without properly testing it in order to boost sales is the exact opposite of innovation. The time to test phones and take safety seriously is before the phone is released to the general public, not after tons of your phones have caught fire and are outlawed on flights.

Comment

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
Smart move. Potentially keep a customer and build some goodwill with the public. Will it work? Who knows. Personally doesn't matter to me since I've never been interested in the Note series. I am getting an S7 next month though.

Reactions: 2010mini
Comment

joueboy

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2008
It's funny how some people are blinded in defending to keep their Note 7, knowing that Samsung has put their best effort to contain from making more damage. Attacking me that having my iPhone is as risky as having their Note 7. I'm also being friendly and I care of giving out an advice and some people seems to take that as an offense. SMH!

Comment

djcerla

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2015
Italy
On a Delta flight this morning to Atlanta; they announced prominently that these phones are prohibited and to see a flight attendant immediately if you are in possession of one. Very embarrassing reminder to every passenger for Samsung over the loudspeaker on every domestic flight.

For the kind of people who is more exposed to these incessant reminders at airports, Samsung is basically dead. Business people have no time to lose with tech debacles.
[doublepost=1476791860][/doublepost]
There is a HUGE difference between innovation and stupidity. What Samsung did rushing a product without properly testing it in order to boost sales is the exact opposite of innovation. The time to test phones and take safety seriously is before the phone is released to the general public, not after tons of your phones have caught fire and are outlawed on flights.

Regardless, how someone may think that the iPhone 7 is "the same phone" as the iPhone 6, beyond a similar enclosure, is funny. Or tragic.

Comment

MonkeySee....

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2010
UK

Haha..........wut?

Comment

Mac Fly (film)

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2006
Ireland

They need not worry someone will be here in the comments shortly to defend their nobility.

Comment

vertical smile

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2014
Anyone curious why it seems like there has been more Samsung news than Mac news on MR?

The past few weeks have been non-stop Samsung rumors. Usually Apple is mentioned in the articles too, but not this one. At least this one isn't front page.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.