Samsung Shares New 'Ingenius' Ads Pitting New Galaxy Note 9 Against iPhone X

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Aug 10, 2018 at 10:32 AM.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Samsung today uploaded new ads in its ongoing "Ingenius" series that makes fun of the Apple Genius Bar and pits the iPhone X against Samsung's Galaxy devices.

In the first ad, called "Power," a customer tells the "genius" that the Galaxy Note is "really powerful." "You know what I think is powerful?" the genius replies. "Being able to unlock your phone with your face." "It does that too," the customer replies.

The genius bar then points out that on iOS 12, you can FaceTime up to 32 people. "Why would I ever want to do that though?" asks the customer.

In the second ad, entitled "Pen," a customer comes into the "ingenius bar" and asks about the difference between the Apple Pencil and the S Pen that comes with the Galaxy Note 9. "Well, the Apple Pencil only works on the iPad," says the genius. "Okay, so what can I use on my phone?" asks the customer. "Uh... your finger?" replies the genius.

Samsung's newest ads in the "Ingenius" series are promoting the Galaxy Note 9, a device that it launched just yesterday. The 6.4-inch Galaxy Note 9 is equipped with a Snapdragon 845 processor, which has been bested by the iPhone X, along with an iris scanner at the front and a fingerprint sensor at the back.

It works with the S Pen stylus, and while some rumors have suggested Apple is exploring an Apple Pencil option for the iPhone, it's not clear if that's something that will ever happen.

Samsung has shared several ads in the Ingenius series, making fun of the iPhone X's notch, lack of SD card, lack of multitasking capabilities, and the fact that there's no headphone jack, while highlighting the the faster LTE speeds and camera in the Galaxy S9.

Article Link: Samsung Shares New 'Ingenius' Ads Pitting New Galaxy Note 9 Against iPhone X

2. JPack macrumors 68020

JPack

Love this stuff, keep it coming!

We'll see Pencil for iPhone sooner or later, just as Apple has adopted the phablet form factor, dual-camera, fast-charging, and dual-SIM.

3. locoboi187 macrumors 6502a

4. DNichter macrumors 603

DNichter

Pretty funny considering the Note 9 still can't outperform the year old iPhone X. And yes, nobody wants a stylus for a phone. Samsung should focus more on their failing sales than Apple.

5. kodos macrumors 6502

Almost ... kinda ... sorta ... works. A bit better than the earlier ones. I actually managed a bit of a chuckle from the second one (re: the Apple Pencil).

6. Johnny Steps macrumors 6502

Johnny Steps

The idea is there for the commercials, but the execution seems childish. I'm all for competition, but there should be a different way to present the argument because it just makes Samsung look like it's taking the lower road against Apple.

7. AnthonyHarris macrumors 6502

AnthonyHarris

Apple might as well just introduce pencil support. Hush those at Samsung and improve usage for their own users in one foul swoop.

8. sidewinder3000 macrumors 6502a

sidewinder3000

Pathetic. Childish. Grasping at straws.

How embarrassing for Samsung.

9. bbednarz macrumors 6502

bbednarz

Again... not so much as a picture of their own device and tons of Apple products visible... Apple just living rent free in Samsungs ads and their minds lol

10. JPack macrumors 68020

JPack

Why would Samsung show a picture of their own devices when these are negative ads? Marketing 101.

11. RoobyRoobyRoo macrumors member

The group FaceTime part is pretty darn weak in my opinion. If your only counter to it is "Why would I want to do that?", why even bring it up in the first place? All you've done is state a feature the competition has that you don't.

12. macfrik macrumors 6502

macfrik

But why does Samsung not selling all that well?

13. iHack13 macrumors regular

iHack13

First video is trash.

Second video is funny.

14. HenryFSU macrumors newbie

HenryFSU

15. bliggs macrumors 6502

bliggs

16. bbednarz macrumors 6502

bbednarz

Well for one the general consumer doesn't even get to see what their device looks like... This is literally the worst marketing I have ever seen. You aren't convincing iOS users to come to Samsung when you try to portray the iOS user as an idiot.

17. QCassidy352 macrumors G4

QCassidy352

It’s like Samsung has this pathological inferiority complex with Apple. And, as always, they give Apple more airtime than their own products. It’s downright bizarre.

18. JPack macrumors 68020

JPack

That's not the point of these ads. Samsung doesn't need to show their phone, specs, or retail locations. These are negative ads against Apple.

19. keysofanxiety macrumors G3

keysofanxiety

"The Galaxy Note 9 is really powerful, man"

Except when it's benchmarked against an 11 month old iPhone X

20. Ds6778 macrumors 6502a

Ds6778

Anyone remember when android phones used to crush iPhone benchmarks? No one cared then lol it was all about performance and optimization. Now is
    It's all the sites cling too. I suppose it adds to the herd mentality. All I know is in real world speed test the iPhone X loses to the S9 and Note 8.

21. Oridus macrumors 6502a

In my mind, if I’m half paying attention to the tv, or am in a public location where the tv is muted, all I see is Apple products. I would have ZERO clue this is a negative ad produced by Samsung bashing Apple.

So in a lot of cases, I could easily see how this could be “free advertisement” for Apple.

22. MauiPa macrumors regular

Well described list of Samsung's history of innovation. They didn't describe its slower processor and last-years version of android though. Those are big features

Only thing I don't get is that you can go down to an Office supply store right now and buy a pencil that works on iPhone, or any other touch screen, if you wanted to (most people don't). The Apple Pencil, MS pencil, and I assume Samsung pencil for a tablet, are completely different devices for high precision drawing and shading.

23. Relentless Power, Aug 10, 2018 at 10:48 AM
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2018 at 2:05 AM

Relentless Power macrumors Core

Relentless Power

I find it interesting how Samsung spends more time mocking Apple than they do actually promoting their own product line with the Galaxy. Perhaps they should revamp their focus, this type of marketing is aggressive, but the consumer wants to _know_ about the product highlights, not the opposing competitor.

24. AnthonyHarris macrumors 6502

AnthonyHarris

No ****.

25. MauiPa macrumors regular

I'd like to see them compare to the LG thinQ, the best Android phone, awesome sound, really know what they are doing