Samsung Stike again...

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by MartinAppleGuy, May 13, 2015.

1. cmChimera macrumors 68040

cmChimera

2. MacCubed macrumors 68000

MacCubed

Haha it's becoming quite ridiculous, isn't it:rolleyes:

3. OneMike macrumors 601

OneMike

4. D.T. macrumors 603

D.T.

I'm wondering if some the of Samsung Police find this thread as a result of their daily search for 'samsung' :D

5. Mascots macrumors 65816

Mascots

I'm going to say that they went with the obvious answer.

Anyone remember the original iPod?

6. Aluminum213 macrumors 68040

Aluminum213

I have a rotating bezel on my seiko, will apple sue them?

7. MartinAppleGuy thread starter macrumors 68020

MartinAppleGuy

Just like their Samsung Pay :rolleyes:

Yeah, I'm just lost for words haha

It would be really interesting to see any webpage with the words 'Apple', 'iPhone'... Blocked for Samsungs R&D. They'd be bankrupt within a year ;)

----------

It's like buying a Rolex vs buying a fake at the same price ;)

8. bbeagle macrumors 68040

bbeagle

I like it. It's cool.

I still think Apple's solution is better for scrolling. But there are situations, that Samsung's implementation might be better. I'd have to see what they do with it. But my guess is not much. They'll put it on a watch, and not really implement anything beyond letting developers try and do something. Which never works, because there won't be a consistent interface.

9. profets macrumors 68040

I agree. It's an interesting idea. It first reminds me of the Nest thermostat, and less so the iPod. I do feel though that the digital crown for scrolling would be easier, especially for long lists / items.

10. Sirious macrumors 65816

Sirious

Samsung can be great when it wants to be. However, it always seems to need Apple to give it a push.

The rotating bezel, which I guess will be called 'S Bezel' (lol) looks like it acts like a camera lens.
    This is the invite that Samsung issued a couple of weeks ago:

Attached Files:

11. mrex macrumors 68020

mrex

Scrolling? Back to the apple age? Cmon samsung, you can do better than living in a stone age... Who needs anything scrolling with a touch display? I can imagine people wearing apple watch, carrying a book and icecream: "how the **** im going to scroll the knob?"

12. Mindinversion macrumors 6502

Mindinversion

Competition is good, and I have no fear. Nothing good can come from a Samsung product.

... until they incinerate touchwiz :cool:

13. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68040

14. shox2k2 macrumors 6502

I like the idea but I don't know about the round screen. I also like the 2g.

How about a feature where you just rub your finger against the bezel and that does the zooming or rotating. Like the click wheel. The click wheel didn't actually rotate I don't think.

15. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

16. MasterRyu2011 macrumors 65816

Holy crap. I think is a real cool idea. It's still an unnatural experience for me to rotate the Apple digital crown. Rotating the bezel itself in Samsung's implementation sounds like a more seamless experience, based on the the way my fingers are positioned. If this works perfectly, I might have to add another smart watch to my arsenal lol.

17. dannyyankou macrumors 603

dannyyankou

18. MasterRyu2011 macrumors 65816

This is not TouchWiz. It's not a skin over Android Wear. It's Tizen, Samsung's own OS. I've heard very good things about Tizen in terms of speed and smoothness. Of course, the only thing lacking is the apps.

19. zmunkz macrumors 6502a

zmunkz

And also the somewhat relevant observation that no apple products have a rotating outer bezel. This actually seems to be the one samsung idea i've seen in the past few years that isnt plagiarized...

20. lazard macrumors 65816

21. epicrayban macrumors 603

epicrayban

This is kind of interesting actually. They've piqued my interest.

As for "copying" Apple... what are you people talking about? What are they copying exactly? Where is there an Apple Watch that has a rotating bezel for input/scrolling? Talk about grasping for straws.

Apple copies TONS of ideas and makes them better or puts their own flare to it (finger print scanner, anyone?). Why isn't anyone else allowed to do the same?

22. lazard macrumors 65816

actually surprised apple didn't come up with this idea, but then again they decided to go with the rectangle look.

23. kdarling, May 13, 2015
    Last edited: May 13, 2015

kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

1. Samsung bought Loop Pay, which predates Apple Pay's name. Using your simplistic standards, Apple copied them. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

2. "Samsung Wallet" was already used for something else.

Reminds me of any pilot or diving or other watch with a rotating bezel. As for scrolling...

Yep, the latest Android Wear update is much smarter: it optionally scrolls up or down by flicking your wrist. Perfect for one-armed use.

For that matter, I think we should be able to do everything without needing a second hand. Perhaps look for a wrist flex hand up/down motion or even sense different finger tendons.

Good idea, and I think Samsung patented that for a watch bezel years ago. For that matter, back around 2000, everyone was patenting watch bezel inputs. HP, IBM, Palm, Microsoft, Samsung, you name it. Smartwatches were hot back then, but the technology wasn't quite ripe.

Neither Samsung's current rotating bezel, nor Apple's digital crown, are new or non-obvious ideas.

Good point. I'll see you and raise you a 2006 priority date Samsung patent that predates even the iPhone, much less the Apple Watch eight years later.

It contains BOTH a rotating bezel, AND a freely rotating / pushbutton digital crown that was used to scroll through list choices... sound familiar?

2007_samsung_bezel_crown.png

That patent explicitly states that "the second input means may take a form of the stem of an analog wristwatch."

I mean, talk about prior art...

24. dannyyankou macrumors 603

dannyyankou

Samsung Stike again...

While I definitely think the rotating bezel isn't copying, the UI could be a little more original.

And look, text is cut off lol

[​IMG]

[​IMG]