Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Samsung is planning to begin making low-temperature polycrystalline oxide (LTPO) thin-film transistor (TFT) OLED displays for Apple beginning in the first half of 2021, according to a new note by research firm UBI Research shared by The Elec.

iphone-12-120hz-thumbnail-feature.jpg

Samsung plans to convert its current low-temperature polycrystalline silicon (LTPS) TFT OLED display manufacturing for the new technology as Apple prepares to incorporate LTPO into its iPhone 13 displays.

LTPO displays use less power than standard OLED displays and will allow Apple to implement the 120Hz refresh rates that are rumored for the iPhone 13 lineup.

The Elec says that Apple will use LTPO TFT OLED panels for the higher-tier iPhone models launching in 2021, which will be provided by Samsung. LG Display will be providing standard LTPS TFT OLED panels for the lower-end models.

This is in line with rumors that suggest Apple's higher-end iPhone 13 Pro and Pro Max will feature faster 120Hz refresh rates, enabling iPad Pro-like ProMotion technology.

There were rumors that suggested 120Hz refresh rates could be introduced in the 2020 iPhone models, but display analyst Ross Young said that Apple would not be able to introduce the feature until it was able to use LTPO displays to allow for a variable refresh rate while also preserving battery life.

Article Link: Samsung to Start Making LTPO OLED Displays for Apple in First Half of 2021

Reactions: DeepIn2U

jmgregory1

macrumors 68030
Unless these new displays help increase battery life, who cares of they can swipe up and down fast and remain stutter-free? That seems to be the only thing any tech reviewer / YouTuber does to show how beneficial 120Hz refresh is. Does it help when reading an email? Or watching a video or movie, or looking at News or reading MacRumors forums?

I certainly don’t see the benefit on my iPad Pro, which is what I’m writing this on now. I think other brands hyped up 120Hz refresh because they didn’t have much else to offer AND with Android being far less smooth in normal operation, it helped mask some of the stuttering.

mithion

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2016
Reno, NV
These damn phones are already so good, they are struggling with ideas to make them better. Can't image the benefits of 120Hz are that amazing. The iPhone screen is just so good with great color accuracy, crisp retina resolution, infinite contrast and already smooth refresh rate with "only" 60Hz. They are really grasping as straws trying to make it better.

a m u n

macrumors regular
Aug 14, 2018
And people Dis Samsung Galaxy Phones.

Their Apple iPhone is Largely Samsung Technology.

FUNNY. So Funny.
Low-Temperature Polycrystalline Oxid, or LTPO, is an OLED display backplane technology developed by Apple.

Samsung phones are not fully manufactured by Samsung.

The processor, modem, sensors are made by Qualcomm & the software is made by Google.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
These damn phones are already so good, they are struggling with ideas to make them better. Can't image the benefits of 120Hz are that amazing. The iPhone screen is just so good with great color accuracy, crisp retina resolution, infinite contrast and already smooth refresh rate with "only" 60Hz. They are really grasping as straws trying to make it better.
Sure the iphone is smooth due to better animations but 60hz is still 60hz. 120hz is going to be a much improved smoothness experience certainly with OLED.

LTPO will mean the screen can go all the way down to 1HZ as well so battery life shouldn’t be affected

subi257

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2018
New Jersey
I bet the vast majority, if they were not told anything about 120hz refresh would never even know or see any difference. Especially at that size screen, I bet that most...not all that say they see and amazing difference are full of crap. Just like the people that claim to hear the difference in $600 RCA cables.

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
Just scroll through a bunch of thumbnails in the Photos app to see how horrible our current 60hz refresh rates truly are. It's like staring at a freaking strobe light. Personally it bugs the badoodles out of my eyes.

Then scroll through the photos app thumbnails with a 120hz display - it scrolls like ruby on rails. Way way better and way easier on the eyes

macos9rules

macrumors 6502
Apr 2, 2012
I bet the vast majority, if they were not told anything about 120hz refresh would never even know or see any difference. Especially at that size screen, I bet that most...not all that say they see and amazing difference are full of crap. Just like the people that claim to hear the difference in $600 RCA cables.
I thought the same. I did a test with my 14-year old son and he could spot the difference without any mistake. That's with a computer monitor though... not sure about a small phone display.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.