Samsung vs Apple-- next level.. ban the iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Reach9, Jun 29, 2011.

1. Reach9, Jun 29, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2011

Reach9 macrumors 68020

Reach9

According to this Samsung is asking US to ban all imports of six Apple products, mainly the iPad, iPhone and iPod.

Obviously the ban won't occur, but it doesn't look like the relationship is getting any better.

2. tekker macrumors regular

Anyone know which patents Apple is "infringing on"? Just curious.

3. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

4. ABernardoJr macrumors 6502

5. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Samsung thinks that they might be able to ban the iPhone in the same country that it was developed in? Wow.

6. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    Nokia tried the same thing last year. Apple retaliated by requesting a ban on Nokia imports. Neither ban happened.

It's all because the ITC is quite willing to take on these cases to give itself more power, and not even the court system can change their rulings.

For example, back in 2007 the ITC banned all imports of phones using Qualcomm chips because they ruled that the chips violated Broadcom patents. This meant Verizon would have no new CDMA phones to sell, which is far more radical than say, banning just iPhones. Verizon ended up having to pay royalties on their own just to get the phones imported.

So the ITC has the power to ban, and they've shown willingness to do so. It's leverage in negotiations.

Also, sometimes US courts with patent cases pending will wait for the ITC ruling before beginning trial. That's what happened with Nokia v. Apple in Delaware. However, Apple settled up with Nokia before trial began.

7. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

Yes yes! I agree. Ban the iPhone. That would then make the iPhone I have triple in worth. I'll be able to fetch top dollor/pound/yen/chickens if I decide to sell it.
    Then I'll go take back my old iPhone I gave my son and use that. :D

8. LSUtigers03 macrumors 68020

LSUtigers03

This back and forth between Samsung and Apple has been pretty amusing to me. It got even funnier two weeks ago when I went to the Apple Store near my house. The front cover on the giant iPad display was removed revealing the branding on the screen. Anyone want to guess what it said? I took a pic before I left. The pic has glare because I took it from outside the store but at the botton you can see the wording "Available on the App Store." May not be funny to some but I got a laugh out of it.

[​IMG]

9. victorvu macrumors member

I hope you just kidding

10. Tarzanman macrumors 65816

Where it was developed doesn't matter so much. iPhones are built/manufactured overseas, which makes them an imported product.

11. chris2k5 macrumors 6502a

I say Samsung should be forced to close. They make horrendous products.

12. walie macrumors 6502a

you mean the same horrendous products apple uses in the iphone?

13. Dumbledorelives macrumors 6502

Dumbledorelives

He means their phones and such. And I completely agree. The Samsung phone I had was probably the worst piece of technology I ever owned. I would be incredibly happy if their products were banned - however, that will never happen.

14. Dumbledorelives macrumors 6502

Dumbledorelives

I'd also like to point out my Samsung microwave just broke yesterday. XD

15. Protopip3 macrumors newbie

16. LSUtigers03 macrumors 68020

LSUtigers03

I had a Captivate and it sucked. I have a Focus now it's not bad at all. One good thing about Samsung phones is they have great screens.

17. mikelegacy macrumors 65816

mikelegacy

Apparently you've never seen their tv's. They should definitely stay out of the mobile industry though.

18. stevensr123 macrumors 6502

yea they deffo should, its not like the samsung galaxy s2 is outselling the iphone 4 in the uk and many other countries.......oh wait.

and it's not like every tech magazine and website have voted the samsung galaxys2 to be the best phone ever.......oh wait.

19. Vegastouch macrumors 603

Vegastouch

20. pyro008 macrumors 6502

You clearly have no idea of the breadth of Samsung's lines outside of phones. Their HDDs and TVs are among the best just to name a few. You having problems with a ****** phone of theirs is hardly grounds for banning their products.

21. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

So true. Samsung makes excellent products, their monitors are great and so are their harddrives, not to mention the components they provide for the iPhone itself.

22. ABernardoJr macrumors 6502

Good thing you're not comparing a new phone with a year-old phone and bragging about it like it's something to be proud of........oh wait.

23. DanteMann macrumors 6502

I understand how some loyal Apple customers may not want anything but Apple products. But I don't understand the mentality that anything not Apple is crap. To say Samsung makes cheap poorly built products just shows complete ignorance. Even knowing Samsung manufactures some the most important parts of the iPhone, they still make these unfounded claims. Quite sad.

24. stevensr123 macrumors 6502

if you read what i was responding to, you would know why i had to put that post. samsung at the moment is making the best phone on the market, so clearly they are not failing in the mobile industry like that person said. :rolleyes: