Samsung's Galaxy Note 7 Smartphone Banned From All U.S. Flights

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Oct 14, 2016.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Samsung's Galaxy Note 7 was today banned from all airplanes and flights in the United States by the Department of Transportation, the Federal Aviation Administration, and the Pipeline and Hazardous Materials Safety Administration. It is now labeled as a "forbidden hazardous material" under the Federal Hazardous Material Regulations.
    The Department of Transportation has issued an emergency order that will prevent the devices from being taken on a flight even when powered down as of Saturday, October 15 at 12:00 p.m. Eastern Time. Galaxy Note 7 smartphones are no longer allowed in checked or carry-on luggage and cannot be shipped as air cargo.
    Customers who attempt to bring a Galaxy Note 7 on a flight could have their devices confiscated and could face fines. Those who attempt to evade the ban by putting their smartphone in their checked luggage could be subject to criminal prosecution in addition to fines.

[​IMG]

The official flight ban comes just days after Samsung permanently discontinued production of the Galaxy Note 7 and asked its carrier partners around the world to cease selling the device following reports that "safe" replacement Galaxy Note 7 devices were also catching on fire.

Samsung has not yet discovered the defect affecting the new devices and has not been able to reproduce the issue in house, but it has been forced to scrap the Galaxy Note 7 due to consumer outcry and regulatory investigations.

Samsung has asked Galaxy Note 7 owners, both with original and replacement devices, to power them down immediately and return them for a full refund. All four of the major carriers in the United States are allowing customers to return their Galaxy Note 7 smartphones for other smartphones, such as the iPhone 7.

Ending production and sales of the Galaxy Note 7 is expected to cost Samsung upwards of $2.3 billion, on top of negative public perception.

Article Link: Samsung's Galaxy Note 7 Smartphone Banned From All U.S. Flights

2. NY Guitarist, Oct 14, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2016

NY Guitarist macrumors 65816

NY Guitarist

It's not a defect, it's a self-destruct security feature.

3. Praesto macrumors regular

4. blacktape242 macrumors 68000

blacktape242

Another item TSA will be looking for....longer lines?

SO what if someone has a phone, does TSA make them toss it in the trash like all the other things you can't take on a plane??? lol

5. GeneralChang macrumors 65816

Oof. The bad press just keeps getting worse. If I were on the crisis team at Samsung's phone division, I would have walked off the job by now.

6. thisisnotmyname macrumors 68000

thisisnotmyname

"forbidden hazardous material," that's a label you don't want applied to your consumer electronics product. ouch!

7. SSDGUY macrumors 6502a

8. djcerla macrumors 68000

djcerla

Stories about morons violently refusing to disembark in 3, 2, 1...

9. bladerunner2000 macrumors 68020

bladerunner2000

So are macrumors members. It's called petulance.

10. dwsolberg macrumors 6502a

It's like one of my friends from high school used to say, "It can always get worse."

11. kdarling, Oct 14, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2016

kdarling macrumors P6

kdarling

First university coding class = 47 years ago
    Wow. Couldn't he just ban it without resorting to Chicken Little language?

Nothing like frightening the public in order to justify your job. Not to mention adding to the ignorance of the public about flight dangers in general. Sigh.

So if "even one" incident is a high risk, then why haven't they heeded previous calls to ban electronics, calls that arose after iPhones and other devices have caught fire on airplanes?

(Answer: because they know that cabin smartphone fires are -- and have been each time so far -- easily handled by crews trained for it because of their own airline-provided devices, and because the mass public would have a hissy fit if the majority couldn't use their smartphones and tablets onboard.)

12. bigjnyc macrumors 603

bigjnyc

Worse job to have right now?

Samsung head of PR

Or

Samsung head of quality control

13. ArtOfWarfare macrumors G3

ArtOfWarfare

14. GeneralChang macrumors 65816

So not that I agree with all the people laughing at Samsung's misfortune (mostly because it is dangerous and can cause harm and it's not like Samsung is willfully doing it), but I think the response has been more gleeful than petulant.

15. fyun89 macrumors 6502

Although I'm an Apple user, Im kinda disappointed that this blog only posts about negative things about Apple competitors. Samsung has announced last night that they'd compensate G Note 7 buyers with $25 credit for other manufacturer's phones or up to $100 for another Samsung phone.
    Not that that would relieve the horror this incident may have caused, i really hope Macrumors would give us "balanced" info.
    Yes I know this is a Apple-Biased site, but that doesn't mean the journalists should give myopic views to its readers.

16. Suckfest 9001 macrumors 65816

Suckfest 9001

Sorry, your favoritest phone in the whole wide world catches fire. Being mad about it isn't going to help. :(

17. lostngone macrumors 65816

lostngone

How is a TSA agent going to stop this?

You can't ask people to look at their phone based on the phones color or the way it looks. That would be profiling and it is ILLEGAL!

18. splash5 macrumors newbie

i wander when they will check all phones for cheap Chinese batteries... where I've worked we have seen so many iPhones die and swell up from cheap replacements... these are way worse than the samsung ones.and these can't be tracked or traced like the note 7...

same thing for laptop batteries... everyone buys the cheap ones on amazon and eBay...

19. Bbqthis macrumors 6502a

Bbqthis

http://www.macrumors.com/2016/10/13/samsung-note-7-customers-100-credit-stay-loyal/

20. Suckfest 9001 macrumors 65816

Suckfest 9001

http://forums.macrumors.com/threads...rs-100-in-credit-to-stay-loyal.2006468/unread

They did report on that............

The only thing myopic here is your research methods.

21. sinsin07 macrumors 68040

One small step for IOS, when giant leap for mankind.

22. dannyyankou macrumors G3

dannyyankou

Hopefully, I wouldn't want one of those near me.

23. TMRJIJ macrumors 68040

TMRJIJ

Competition is good for both companies. Apple is right not to talk about these incidents.

24. Mac Fly (film) macrumors 65816

Mac Fly (film)

Petulance? It's a badly run company that cut corners on safety to get a phone out early and then rufuse to act to protect their customer's safety despite the internal documents and warnings leaving a trail a mile long. Samsung or its apologist aren't going to weasel their way out of this one.

25. Analog Kid macrumors 601

Analog Kid

Well, this is going to be interesting for everyone currently traveling with a return leg sometime after tomorrow noon...