Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kemal

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2001
Nebraska
Oh man. Now we will have to put our cell phones in a tray for TSA to inspect.

On a positive note, this should lead to a forced redesign of the whole product category. If said device has a li-ion battery in a polymer bag (wrongly called "Lithium Polymer"), there then needs to be room for battery to expand.

In other words, you can replace the battery with your fingernail cause there has to be a pop-off battery cover.

Reactions: sofila and kildraik

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Although I'm an Apple user, Im kinda disappointed that this blog only posts about negative things about Apple competitors. Samsung has announced last night that they'd compensate G Note 7 buyers with $25 credit for other manufacturer's phones or up to $100 for another Samsung phone.
Not that that would relieve the horror this incident may have caused, i really hope Macrumors would give us "balanced" info.
Yes I know this is a Apple-Biased site, but that doesn't mean the journalists should give myopic views to its readers.

You mean like this article from yesterday?

https://www.macrumors.com/2016/10/13/samsung-note-7-customers-100-credit-stay-loyal/

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY
How is a TSA agent going to stop this?

You can't ask people to look at their phone based on the phones color or the way it looks. That would be profiling and it is ILLEGAL!

It's not profiling saying you can't bring something potentially explosive on board a plane. Geeez...

There are plenty of banned items that you can't bring on board a plane. Of course, you can lie and board the plane with said item. But if it does explode, you'll be fined $250-$1000, serve jail time, and be placed on the no-fly list. So, go ahead. It's up to you.

According to this: https://www.transportation.gov/briefing-room/dot-bans-all-samsung-galaxy-note7-phones-airplanes

The Samsung Galaxy Note7 device is considered a forbidden hazardous material under the Federal Hazardous Material Regulations (HMR; 49 CFR Parts 171-185), which forbid airline passengers or crew from traveling with lithium cells or batteries or portable electronic devices that are likely to generate a dangerous evolution of heat. PHMSA has issued a special permit to Samsung to facilitate commercial shipment of the recalled devices by ground transportation.

Passengers who attempt to evade the ban by packing their phone in checked luggage are increasing the risk of a catastrophic incident. Anyone violating the ban may be subject to criminal prosecution in addition to fines.

Last edited:

dwsolberg

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2003

You can't ask people to look at their phone based on the phones color or the way it looks. That would be profiling and it is ILLEGAL!

Profiling is generally based off of something that people can't change, like their race, sex (well, usually), old age etc. In other words, you're treating someone differently because of a factor that's pretty much out of their control. Even though there is sometimes a correlation between that factor and something you don't like, profiling is seen as mean-spirited precisely because the person was just born that way. Some people also believe that practicing profiling tend to reinforce bad behavior and create a "we-vs-them" mentality that perpetuates problems and generates mistrust.

This is different because they are not targeting a person; they are targeting an object, and people can control whether they have that object.

bladerunner2000

Suspended
Jun 12, 2015
Petulance? It's a badly run company that cut corners on safety to get a phone out early and then rufuse to act to protect their customer's safety despite the internal documents and warnings leaving a trail a mile long. Samsung or its apologist aren't going to weasel their way out of this one.

No, it's petulance. Lots of macrumors members are celebrating. Don't deny it.

Reactions: Ulisescm

kdarling

macrumors P6
Sorry, your favoritest phone in the whole wide world catches fire. Being mad about it isn't going to help. :(

Silly goose. If anything, I'm an HTC and Moto fan. You can trash Samsung all you want, as long you do it with facts.

But more importantly, I'm a fan of flight, and I really hate the way some agencies use fear to keep themselves in power, instead of using the chance to educate passengers about what is really dangerous and what is not.

I.e. in cabin fires are not a huge threat at all. In-hold checked baggage fires, on the other hand, are immensely deadly, and it's just a matter of time before a checked tablet or other lithium cell device brings down an airliner, if people don't pay attention to the rules.

That's what he should've emphasized.

Nekomichi

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2016
Prior to boarding, all passengers are asked to remove any metallic or electronic devices from their person and place it into a tray for X-ray inspection. I suspect this is the stage where the devices get seized. If they try to sneak it in their pockets, it will set off the metal detector gate and if they try to hide it in checked luggage, it will show up on the X-ray scan.

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011
Wow. Couldn't he just ban it without resorting to Chicken Little language?

Nothing like frightening the public in order to justify your job. Not to mention adding to the ignorance of the public about flight dangers in general. Sigh.

So if "even one" incident is a high risk, then why haven't they heeded previous calls to ban electronics, calls that arose after iPhones and other devices have caught fire on airplanes?

(Answer: because they know that cabin smartphone fires are -- and have been each time so far -- easily handled by crews trained for it because of their own airline-provided devices, and because the mass public would have a hissy fit if the majority couldn't use their smartphones and tablets onboard.)

No. It was an appropriate move considering the substantial risk as evidenced by Note 7 fires. You may want to rely on after-the-fact suppression possibilities, but I suspect many, including pilots and flight staff do not.

citi

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2006
Simi Valley, CA
Petulance? It's a badly run company that cut corners on safety to get a phone out early and then rufuse to act to protect their customer's safety despite the internal documents and warnings leaving a trail a mile long. Samsung or its apologist aren't going to weasel their way out of this one.

I'm not sure I would call it poorly run. They are pretty damn successful. They did what every company has done. First spin, then accept some liability, usually blaming it on something not specific to their company, manufacturing bug etc, then the last thing, and only last thing, is to admit there's an actual problem. Apple would have done the same thing. They haven't even admitted there's a screen bug in the iPhone 6 and 6s. Par for the course.

Suckfest 9001

Suspended
May 31, 2015
Canada
Silly goose. If anything, I'm an HTC and Moto fan. You can trash Samsung all you want, as long you do it with facts.

But more importantly, I'm a fan of flight, and I really hate the way some agencies use fear to keep themselves in power, instead of using the chance to educate passengers about what is really dangerous and what is not.

I.e. in cabin fires are not a huge threat at all. In-hold checked baggage fires, on the other hand, are immensely deadly, and it's just a matter of time before a checked tablet or other lithium cell device brings down an airliner.
Rofl "in cabin fires are not a huge threat at all"

This really is on the cutting edge of Samsung defending

TMRJIJ

macrumors 68040
Dec 12, 2011
South Carolina, United States
Although I'm an Apple user, Im kinda disappointed that this blog only posts about negative things about Apple competitors. Samsung has announced last night that they'd compensate G Note 7 buyers with $25 credit for other manufacturer's phones or up to $100 for another Samsung phone.
Not that that would relieve the horror this incident may have caused, i really hope Macrumors would give us "balanced" info.
Yes I know this is a Apple-Biased site, but that doesn't mean the journalists should give myopic views to its readers.
That's not true. There have been plenty of good news from Apple Competitors.
Also there was already an article about the $100 credit Samsung is providing.

Reactions: xerexes1

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011
Another item TSA will be looking for....longer lines?

SO what if someone has a phone, does TSA make them toss it in the trash like all the other things you can't take on a plane??? lol

Travelers with Note 7 phones can step out of TSA lines and make other arrangements should they want to keep their phones.

Reactions: xerexes1

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Another item TSA will be looking for....longer lines?

SO what if someone has a phone, does TSA make them toss it in the trash like all the other things you can't take on a plane??? lol
  • If passengers attempt to travel by air with their Samsung Galaxy Note7 devices, the phones may be confiscated and passengers may face fines.
  • Passengers who attempt to evade the ban by packing their phone in checked luggage are increasing the risk of a catastrophic incident. Anyone violating the ban may be subject to criminal prosecution in addition to fines.
https://www.transportation.gov/briefing-room/dot-bans-all-samsung-galaxy-note7-phones-airplanes

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.