Samsung's Galaxy S9 Expected to Copy iPhone X's Animoji Feature

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 13, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Samsung's upcoming Galaxy S9 and Galaxy S9 Plus will reportedly copy one of the iPhone X's most popular new features: Animoji.

[​IMG]

Korean website ETNews claims the flagship smartphones will have a new 3D emoji function that is "more advanced" than Animoji. Like on the iPhone X, users will be able to choose from various 3D characters, including animals, that mimic facial movements as tracked by the Galaxy S9's facial recognition sensors.

Samsung should reveal the name of its Animoji competitor when the Galaxy S9 and Galaxy S9 Plus are unveiled at Mobile World Congress on February 25. Many details about the smartphones have already leaked, including entire images of the devices shared by Evan Blass, hinting at many features that can be expected.

While rumors suggest the next major version of Android will include support for smartphones with a so-called notched design, like the iPhone X, it appears that the Galaxy S9 and Galaxy S9 Plus will retain slim bezels along the top and bottom of the display for the front camera, microphone, and sensors.

3D emojis will be powered by the Galaxy S9's facial recognition system, which is expected to remain less secure than Face ID on the iPhone X. Other biometric options will include a rear fingerprint sensor and an iris scanner.

Samsung is rumored to release the Galaxy S9 and Galaxy S9 on Friday, March 16, with pre-orders expected to begin about two weeks prior.

Article Link: Samsung's Galaxy S9 Expected to Copy iPhone X's Animoji Feature

2. MrGimper macrumors 603

MrGimper

Samsung really have no shame.......

[​IMG]

.... like come up with something original yourself.....

3. Mlrollin91 macrumors G5

Mlrollin91

4. Ice-Cube macrumors 6502a

Ice-Cube

Samsung's famous R&D department in action: Receive & Duplicate.

5. Cloudkicker macrumors 6502

Cloudkicker

Isn't Apple still being sued by the Japanese company that owns the Animoji trademark? Samsung would be foolish to copy a company already accused of copying the original copyrighted idea.

6. orev macrumors 6502

Ugh, is this really where we are in technology? Something as dumb as animoji is such a huge headlining feature that everyone copies it and it makes headlines? Let's get real. Animoji is something that most people use once or twice, get sick of the gimmick, then never use it again.

I guess people got sick of "oh look, they used a different color paint this time!", so they had to come up with something else equally mundane.

7. NagasakiGG macrumors member

I love it how the firms always flame Apple for making "useless","ugly" stuff/choices, but then copy them.

Notch -> Asus fakes it
    Animoji -> Samsung fakes it
    Google flaming/mocking Apple about iP7's AUX removal -> 1 yr later do it the same

‍:facepalm:

8. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

I’m sure they’ll use it just as little as I do on my X.

9. meaning-matters, Feb 13, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2018

meaning-matters macrumors 6502

meaning-matters

10. Moorepheus macrumors 6502

Moorepheus

Wait a minute, apple didn't create this. Apple copied this from what was already being done in the MOVIE industry. Apple was just the first to add it to a phone.

11. udayan81 macrumors regular

Moment when animoji becomes the big selling point in history of phones. lol. I would be surprised if they had behaved any different.

12. kazmac macrumors 603

kazmac

Considering Honor is already doing this with their V10, not surprised. The V10 is much cheaper than Samsung or Apple.

I do hope we see more cheaper phones available on all carriers which feature state-of-the-art tech and better OS.

13. sinsin07 macrumors 68040

Is the threat of being sued really a deterrent for Samsung?

14. 69Mustang macrumors 603

69Mustang

Apple didn't create it, but there's no denying Apple has made it popular in mobile. Pretty sure other OEM's are going to have some form of facial capture. Google will probably add it to base Android. Samsung as always, will just have their own interpretation of it.

15. SRLMJ23 macrumors 68000

SRLMJ23

This really cannot be that shocking of news to anyone here.

:apple:

16. nwcs macrumors 68000

nwcs

17. haruhiko macrumors 601

haruhiko

18. jjhny macrumors regular

jjhny

Did I wake up in some dystopian future? This is the point of spending $1,000 on a phone and paying $200/month ($2,400/year) for stupid cartoon faces? Yikes! Is there any tech out there that does something useful anymore?

19. sinsin07 macrumors 68040

It's Samsung
    Why not?

20. thekeyring macrumors 68040

Just like they didn't invent fingerprint scanners, mobile payment systems, etc. It just happens when Apple decide to add it to iPhone, Samsung also thinks it's good to add it to the next Galaxy. Uncanny!

21. Jeremy1026 macrumors 68020

Jeremy1026

Look further into the differences in copyrights and trademarks (and patents). A copyright protects a final product, be it words, art, photo, or video. A trademark protects logos, slogans, and the like. Patents protect implementations and how something is achieved.

Apple is being sued for using the trademarked word "Animoji", not for making animated emoji.

22. DotCom2 macrumors 68040

I'm not surprised they are doing this...I'm just surprised how much they KEEP doing it!

23. Vlad.E. Suspended

Vlad.E.

In other news.

Apple has copied other Laptop manufacturers by using Intel CPU's, instead of making their own CPUs!!

SHOCKER!!

World ends.....

24. jdillings macrumors 68000

25. Q-Dog macrumors 6502a

Q-Dog