Samsung's Galaxy S9 Expected to Copy iPhone X's Animoji Feature

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 13, 2018.

1. TallManNY macrumors 601

TallManNY

I sent my GF an emoji of me singing her happy birthday. That went over well. Try it a bit. It can be funny. And if you are not the type to use something like this, it will be even more funny.

2. sinsin07 macrumors 68030

Damn, if you gonna go back and dig up copy and paste from 2009 you might as well jump into 2007 and take look at what smart phone looked like before iPhone.
    [​IMG]

3. coolbreeze macrumors 68000

coolbreeze

reeeee! Apple has never copied anything reeee!

4. MrGimper macrumors 601

MrGimper

It's more that Samsung copy EVERYTHING.

I mean, even their Chromebook looked like a MacBook air, and their cylinder vacuum looked a ringer for a Dyson.

5. b3ats macrumors member

Here comes Samimoji! It really wouldn't surprise me if it came with a notch and depth sensing facial unlocking features. They'll have lightning connectors and Samepods before long.

6. dannyyankou macrumors 604

dannyyankou

Right but it's one thing to pay for a technology, but another to invent a feature based on that technology. As long as everything is paid for and no patents are violated, I have no issue.

7. SBlue1 macrumors 65816

SBlue1

Most popular?? Sais who?

8. dumastudetto macrumors 68030

Introducing the Samsung Galaxy X with samimoji, the snotch, and lots of junkware you can't uninstall. Also the latest snapdragon processor that is still far slower than the technology in the iPhone 6s.

9. bjoswald macrumors member

bjoswald

To the surprise of no one, Samsung copies yet another Apple feature. :rolleyes:

10. oldoneeye macrumors member

oldoneeye

11. Princejb134 macrumors regular

isnt everything in the tech industry a copy of something else? All they do is make it better than the competition

12. oldoneeye macrumors member

oldoneeye

How the iphone is made ..... Samsung DRAM, Samsung NAND, Samsung Display ...... , Samsung processor (manufacture) ....

13. DNichter macrumors 603

DNichter

Not surprised at all. Soon enough, Android phones will have the notch, a crappy knockoff of FaceID, and Animoji. Everything people hate about the X.

14. MistrSynistr macrumors 6502a

This is literally a "feature" you use ONCE, when you have an iPhone X and the guy next to you doesn't, and you want to be cheeky by showing him the Animoji.

Then you never use it again.

15. emvath macrumors regular

Not surprising. But this has got to be the stupidest "feature" of the last 5 years.

16. IVYHILL macrumors newbie

17. macduke macrumors 604

macduke

None of these firms actually think Apple is doing the wrong thing most of the time. They have to spin the marketing to get people to buy their current lot until they can come out with a copy in the next year.

As for Animoji, I'm surprised that Apple didn't patent it. Maybe they're licensing it from someone else? With all the ridiculous patents in the world, you would think something like this that seems to be actually innovative (in a fun, not very useful way) would be patented. Personally I only played around with the feature for the first couple weeks on my X and have only sent a handful. The main reason I don't use it is that it requires me to actually talk out loud most of the time and I'm in my office all day so that would be weird.

18. Guy Clark macrumors 6502a

Guy Clark

As if Apple have never copied anything. Give me a break.

19. elev8d macrumors 6502

Of all the dumb garbage to copy. You would think they would at least conduct a study to see what percent of users actually use this feature. I'm sure it's like 1% of iPhone owners.

20. m2nal macrumors newbie

Samsung foolish? No Way!! /S

21. neutralguy macrumors 6502a

I think at this point all the smartphone manufacturers should realize that the Android and iPhone user base is settled. People are already deep into one of these ecosystems and will not change no matter how much incremental changes they bring upon or copy each other. Until something revolutionary happen, we will continue to see this catching up games.

I would agree that Apple was revolutionary. With Tim Cook at the helm, I don't think anything revolutionary will come out of Apple. May be I am wrong. Plus I don't give much weight to Jony Ivy. He himself can't do much unless he has company of a person like Steve Jobs! May be I am wrong.

22. partydorm macrumors member

partydorm

Thank god they didn't copy that ugly notch & hump, I don't want to see more.

23. Braderunner macrumors 6502

Samesung will DEFINITELY copy Apple's Animojis. No doubt about it.

24. BlargKing macrumors 6502

BlargKing

Is such a useless gimmick feature really worth spending R&D money to copy? Must they include it just because Apple has it? I don't think someone who is looking to get a new Samsung phone gives a rats furry crack about it having such a stupid feature.

25. Moorepheus macrumors 6502

Moorepheus

What did Apple invent here? Nothing. Animation based on human movement has been done for decades in the movie industry, including facial. 3d facial recognition, again, already out there for many years.

If you statement is relative to a smart phones, sure, I will agree. However, not everything Apple does is better than the competition (SIRI...need I say more).