Samsung's More Affordable Galaxy S10e Compared to iPhone XR

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 15, 2019.

1. mi7chy macrumors 603

mi7chy

You missed some things.

- Qualcomm vs Intel baseband radio
    - 1080p vs near 720p
    - OLED vs LCD
    - virtually same display area while being physically smaller
    - better battery life without near 720p compromise
    - 128GB base storage vs 64GB
    - micro SD storage expansion vs none
    - better future proofing with 6GB vs 3GB DRAM
    - 3.5mm audio jack vs none
    - additional wide angle camera vs none
    - reverse wireless charging for earbuds/watch vs none
    - included fast charger vs slow charger
    - included accessories vs none
    - IP68 vs IP67
    - more versatile OS with much fewer restrictions
    - nicer design and build quality that doesn't look Fisher Price
    - more convenient fingerprint biometric that doesn't require taking eyes off the road while driving

2. Marshall73 macrumors 65832

Marshall73

I like that the punch out is cool for wallpapers, I especially like the R2D2 one. The handsets are quick enough these days and cameras are good enough that personal preference is the deciding factor. I wouldn’t take an android handset if you paid me but I have friends who wouldn’t take an iPhone. At least there are premium devices for each case.

3. Tick410 macrumors member

Tick410

It's not hard once you see how great the Galaxy s10 phones are. This guy has been an iPhone user for years and hes blown away by the s10 Plus phone.

4. keysofanxiety macrumors G3

keysofanxiety

Oh right, the side by side “I’ll try to press these screens at the same time and see what opens first” video test on a clickbait YouTube channel. Why didn’t you say earlier?

Please consider any previous doubts of mine thoroughly rescinded.

5. swingerofbirch macrumors 68040

The Amalgamated States of Central North America
    After all the problems I've had getting photos/videos off my iPhone over the years, I'm never buying a phone without removable storage again.

I had a set of burst photos on my iPhone 7 that somehow corrupted the back-up. I couldn't use the Photos app, iCloud photo library, or Image Capture to import my photos.

Only by using Google Photos was I finally able to get photos off my phone and only Google Photos helped me identify which files were corrupt . . . on an Apple iPhone.

I don't have any current plans for a new phone, but it will have removable storage (micro sd) so that photos/videos are automatically stored to it and not held hostage . . . which means I won't be purchasing an iPhone again.

6. appleofmyibook macrumors regular

appleofmyibook

For the majority of people this is irrelevant. It just translates to iOS vs Android. There are many people who are interested in feature vs feature and could swap between both, however the approach to smart phones has changed now for the majority. These devices are necessities that we just want to work above anything else. A great camera is obviously a big plus and selling point - but most important to the majority of people is the familiarity of the new device. This is why Apple users stay with Apple and vice versa. A proper comparison should be Android to Android. This is where features play a much bigger part.

7. 69Mustang macrumors 604

69Mustang

I agree that head-to-head the S10e is a better phone than the R. I think Samsung smashed on the S10e

I disagree here. I don't think Apple will lose any more customers to the S10e than they've lost to any other Android, which is to say not many. The crossover -either way- is not that great. I think the S10e would have a greater chance of influencing an LG/Huawei/Pixel buyer than an iPhone buyer. I think the hardware in the R is secondary to the OS.

8. MoreRumors? macrumors 6502a

What I like about the Samsung is the size of the base storage and a microSD slot for added storage. As for the processor performance, I would not be able to see the difference between the two anyway so it makes no difference for me. I think I prefer the keyhole in the middle instead of towards the side.

9. Niko Todd macrumors member

Niko Todd

- Color accurate
    - OS optimized for the hardware
    - higher DR sensor
    - no bloatware
    - part of an ecosystem
    - will be updated/supported for years to come without having to cross your fingers and pray
    - expensive
    - lower resolution display
    - notch

Now, reverse all that and you get S10e.

I pretty much know what I'd pick :)

10. Tick410 macrumors member

Tick410

Still waiting on the guy with the robots, but I've watched 7 different speed test and 5 out of 2 were Samsungs dominating. PUBG is faster on iPhone and Adobe Express, to make you feel better.

11. 78Bandit macrumors 6502a

78Bandit

If I were an impartial new smartphone buyer I would pick the Samsung. The better display, dual cameras, and removable storage would tip the scales for me. We have quite a few Android phones where I work and it has pretty much caught up with iOS in terms of usability and functionality.

However, I'm pretty well vested in the iOS ecosystem and am used to the way it works. I've also got quite a few apps I've purchased over the years that I would hate to have to buy again on Android. That is why I got an XR to replace my iPhone 6 this past year. I fully expect it to last at least three years, and I'll revisit what is available from various vendors again in 2022.

12. Infinite Vortex macrumors regular

Infinite Vortex

I did exactly that when Apple released their current iPhones. If the Xr is the best Apple can do at 860€ I decided it was time to try some new things. My expectation was that I would have affirmed that Apple, the iPhone and iOS are the right things for me. In fact the opposite occurred and I'm now just waiting for a price drop on the S10/S10e.

While there were some moments I was about to give up on the experiment but now that I have dealt with what goes where and how, I can happily choose whatever phone I like based on what is the best phone… not the best phone that's near enough from Apple. A big difference. And I'm the big winner because of it. If the pendulum swings back to Apple for what I want from a phone its an easy switch back and now that I've busted out, preventing being trapped by the ecosystem, is easy to avoid.

Both iOS and Android have their strengths and to get the best of each you can't use one OS like you would the other. It just doesn't work and ends in failure.

13. paul4339, Mar 15, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2019

paul4339 macrumors 65816

I kinda of like the hole punch cutout and the wide-angle lens.
    Also anything that gives more battery life is good in my books.
    The nice things about Xr is the face recognition and iOS.

14. 69Mustang macrumors 604

69Mustang

It's true every year. You can get an S9 for approx $450 right now. Samsung phones depreciate like a Maserati. I personally don't care because I benefit from it. But yeah, that S10e is probably going to be around $400 by the time the Note 10 hits.

Sounds like one of my quotes.:D I'm just not sure how you could be so jaded in the face of the empirical evidence presented in those "speed tests". :rolleyes: Those tests are literal hot garbage. No one should ever present them as evidence of anything.

15. bladerunner2000 macrumors 68020

bladerunner2000

No thanks, iOS is a joke.

16. Cosmosent macrumors 6502a

Can't speak to the S10e, but the XR is a "Performance Lemon" !

I've been using my XR for Dev since Oct 27th, along with my 7+ & 6s.

The Perf of my XR is surprising low compared to my 7+, which runs like a Gem !

I believe there is a Bug in the Perf Controller of the A12, affecting "at least" the XR.

The same issue could be affecting ALL A11 & A12 processors.

The 7+ has a simpler Perf Controller design, & does NOT exhibit the problem.

I suspect AAPL did NOT test with many Real World Application Benchmarks before committing to Silicon, & did NOT discover the issue until I started complaining about it !

Few have discovered it, as there are EXTREMELY few High-Perf apps in the iOS App Store anymore.

The $900 USD S10 is "the benchmark" against which ALL smartphones should be compared, IMO.

17. iObama macrumors 6502a

iObama

Same. It's been six months and I still haven't gotten used to the tallness of the XS Max. Can't wait to go to whatever next year's equivalent of a XS is.

18. haydn! macrumors 6502a

Apple need to make a cheaper iPhone. Maybe not for the masses but for Enterprise. Not many corporates are going to shell out £800+ on a handset, when they need to buy 15,000 of them and can get comparable Android phones for half the price.

The company I work for moved away from Android in favour of the SE a couple of years ago. But have now already announced plans to return back to Android when it comes to handset renewals as current options from Apple not cost effective.

19. Relentless Power, Mar 15, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2019

Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Lately MacRumors has been posting these ‘Samsung versus Apple’ smart phone video comparisons, and I think really they are _all_ great devices. However the real commitment is -Android versus iOS-, whatever the user is choosing to stay loyal to, is not because of the hardware, it’s because of the software that they prefer.

20. GuruZac macrumors 6502a

GuruZac

As a XR user, I can appreciate the S10e and what it offers, but there is nothing that would sway me away from iOS. I would buy a refurbed 256GB iPhone X over the S10e and if the refurb X was out when I bought my XR, I would have bought it instead for the 3D Touch and dual lens camera.

21. paul4339 macrumors 65816

Yes, i turned on the reachability feature just so I can get to the top left corner easier.

22. novakk86 macrumors member

novakk86

It's interesting how these "tests" were all that mattered back when Apple had an upper hand.

23. Apple Master Suspended

Apple Master

hardware doesn't matter when Android is complete ****.

24. PickUrPoison Suspended

Apple’s three models, in the range of 5.8-6.5”, are all considered “phablets”. None of them are really any support for a small phone argument.

Few want small phones anymore. Even with the dozens and dozens of Android manufacturers, there are very few options. If there was adequate demand, companies would be only too happy to meet it. There isn’t.

25. keysofanxiety macrumors G3

keysofanxiety

And interesting that benchmarks were all that mattered when Android had the upper hand.