Samsung's New Galaxy Buds+ Compared to AirPods and AirPods Pro

incoherent_1

macrumors regular
Oct 19, 2016
Just to offer a contrasting view for those who are applauding the Bose sound switching: I’ve owned 5 pairs of Bose headphones, and the QC35s are garbage.

The multiple devices is a joke. I’ll be sitting on a plane with my phone in front of me, screen powered on, playing a song from an app. And yet it’ll constantly be searching for my laptop, which is asleep in the overhead.

And don’t get me started on those ridiculously loud notifications.

To each his own, but my AirPod Pros have replaces my Bose headphones for 97% of use cases. Although yes ideally one day intelligent device switching will work better on AirPods.

Ankaa

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2008
you've pretty much answered why no internal storage on the earbuds are needed or useful for marketing.
- - Post merged: - -
Did I?

So, Galaxy Buds work with Apple Watch?

I can see why Apple thinks that way -- but everyone else from Amazon to Bose to Samsung?

And what about watersports where bluetooth is exactly pointless?

DeepIn2U

macrumors 603
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Did I?

So, Galaxy Buds work with Apple Watch?

I can see why Apple thinks that way -- but everyone else from Amazon to Bose to Samsung?

And what about watersports where bluetooth is exactly pointless?
Bluetooth connection to Apple Watch will work with Galaxy Buds/Buds+ Some unique features of course not.

Apple Watch is 50m water resistant since version 3; we’re now on v5 soon to be v6 by September 2020. Apple has tested with relay swimming synchronized swimming as well.

what kind of “water sports” are you thinking Apple Watch cannot work with where the GalaxyBuds/+ can, hmm?! If it’s ‘that’ kind of sports I think the PH level would be too acidic or too alkaline and ruin resistance seals😜😂

• Haha
Reactions: felixen

Ankaa

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2008
Bluetooth connection to Apple Watch will work with Galaxy Buds/Buds+ Some unique features of course not.

Apple Watch is 50m water resistant since version 3; we’re now on v5 soon to be v6 by September 2020. Apple has tested with relay swimming synchronized swimming as well.

what kind of “water sports” are you thinking Apple Watch cannot work with where the GalaxyBuds/+ can, hmm?! If it’s ‘that’ kind of sports I think the PH level would be too acidic or too alkaline and ruin resistance seals😜😂
Your thoughts are stuck. Maybe try to open your mind for a bid.

Obviously, Apple Watch is water resistant -- I use min (gen2) for swimming all the time.

Bluetooth still doesn't work under water and believe it or not, some people like to listen to music while doing laps.

Instead of trying to make me look like a fool and make fun of me with your emojis, recognize that you're just not the demographic I'm speaking of.

Guess I'll stick with my Sony Walkman for that for a while longer....which means Apple will not see any money for ear buds/headphones from me as they neither satisfy my need for exercise proof buds (the AirPods do not stick in my ears, either, for non-water-related sports) nor for casual listening (I prefer over ear headphones with active noise cancelling).

szw-mapple fan

macrumors 68000
Jul 28, 2012
it has two simultaneous connections to the last two devices you paired with, and picks up the sound from whatever device is broadcasting sound when you the headphones on. It's the QuietComfort 35. I don't know how they do it, but I can switch between iPad and iPhone instantly.

I would have expected Apple's approach to be smarter than that and somehow magically figure out that if start the music app on my phone and have my AirPods in that that's where I want the sound to go.
I would imagine this is something that Apple is intentionally not implementing for some reason because AirPods and Beats headphones actually does what you describe, but only for phone calls.

Yes, exactly. My Bose auto switch , is far more superior than Airpods Pro. It can connect to 2 devices at the same time. If i'm watching something on my iMac and receive a call on my phone, it automatically picks the iPhone connection.
To be fair, most of the latest bluetooth devices can do that. I'm not sure why Apple doesn't support such simple feature and still brag about superiority of the h1-w1 chips. I guess Airpods were designed by someone who doesn't use Bluetooth headphones regularly, and doesn't understand basic needs.
My beats X (which has the w1 chip) will switch the audio to the phone call even when it is connected to another device. Strange that AirPods don't do that if what you say is true.

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
For me, It’s not just about the overall sound, but about the overall design _and_ how it fits inside my ears. Samsung earbuds design just do not work for me whatsoever, the AirPods I actually find extremely comfortable to wear for hours on end without any discomfort. And for that, you can’t put a price when it comes to comfort, no matter how good the sound is.

bobob

macrumors 68040
Jan 11, 2008
I love how the Galaxy Buds+ are $100 cheaper than Apple’s AirPods Pro and have 11 hours of battery life — that’s more than double the 4.5 hour battery life of the AirPods Pro. I do favor audio quality, however, so I’d rather spend the extra $100 to get better sound quality and active noise cancellation.
Apple makes a non-active noise cancelling product called AirPods for an extra $10, so what's the point of comparing the Buds+ to the AirPods Pro?

Reactions: Shanghaichica

Tech198

macrumors G5
Mar 21, 2011
Australia, Perth
Samsung know the most features will be tailored to Android over iOS. Three commands for Touch controls on iOS only over Android.

Perhaps this alone would make people get an android phone ? or use one for these earbuds. ?

MacPDiddy

macrumors member
Aug 25, 2017
Sorry, but I wouldn’t give these copycat artists $10 for them. And it’s disappointing the review doesn’t even wince at Samsung’s theft here, as surely it would if AppleInsider copied and pasted their review and passed it off as their own.

Where’s the integrity? None to find any here.

honglong1976

macrumors 65816
Jul 12, 2008
UK
And Bose has been able to switch between 2 devices seamlessly without requiring H1, whereas Apple still can't figure out automatically which device I'm using and requires me to manually switch. Other than the initial pairing, I see no benefits in these chips.
Switch between 8 devices! I have the Soundsport Free. Switch between iPhone, MacBook Pro, work iMac, work Win10 PC and work win10 laptop, then back to my iPad. All by pressing a button on the earphones.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G4
Apr 8, 2013
UK
Are you guys sure about this? As @metalsiren mentioned, multi-point connection isn't OS or OEM (Dan's Samsung TV example) dependent. It works for devices with BT 5.0 capability so iPhones 8 and above should be compatible with the feature.
But I’m not sure Apple have enabled all of the Bluetooth 5.0 features. I mean audio sharing with AirPods, something they enabled with iOS 13 is a Bluetooth 5.0 feature in disguise but wouldn’t work with a non Apple device.

Gilligan's last elephant

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2016
Sorry, but I wouldn’t give these copycat artists $10 for them. And it’s disappointing the review doesn’t even wince at Samsung’s theft here, as surely it would if AppleInsider copied and pasted their review and passed it off as their own.

What Samsung "theft" are you referring to?

Shanghaichica

macrumors G4
Apr 8, 2013
UK

Theft of what? Maybe check out the gear icon X which came out before the original AirPods. Here’s a thought, Apple don’t invent everything. Other companies can have products first.

Delgibbons

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2016
London

Samsung at its Unpacked Event in San Francisco this week unveiled the new Galaxy Z Flip and the S20 smartphone lineup, and accompanying its new flagship devices, Samsung also launched its next-generation wire-free earbuds, the Galaxy Buds+.

In our latest YouTube video, we took a look at the new Galaxy Buds+ to test them out, and we did a quick comparison with the AirPods and the AirPods Pro.

Design wise, the Galaxy Buds+ look pretty much identical to the original Galaxy Buds, but there's an extra microphone that's been added and the charging case now has a glossy finish instead of a matte finish. The size, fit, and comfort are unchanged.

The Galaxy Buds+ are closer in design to the AirPods Pro than the AirPods because of the soft silicone tips that fit into the ear canal to provide a tighter seal, but there is no noise canceling technology included in the Galaxy Buds+.

With the second-generation version of the Galaxy Buds, Samsung aimed to improve audio quality for music and phone calls along with battery life, both of which do seem to be better. The Galaxy Buds+ now last for 11 hours before needing to be recharged with the case, and the sound seems to be improved.

Though closer in design to the AirPods Pro, the price point and the functionality of the Galaxy Buds+ better matches the standard AirPods. The Galaxy Buds+ are $149, so $10 cheaper than the standard AirPods without charging case and $100 cheaper than the AirPods Pro.

There are touch controls on each Galaxy Bud+ earbud, which can be used to play/pause, skip tracks, and activate voice assistants. Those are the only three functions available when connecting the Galaxy Buds+ to the iPhone, but with an Android device, the long press function can be customized to auto-launch Spotify.

Samsung also offers tools for controlling ambient sound levels (though we didn't notice much of a difference with this enabled), and adjusting the sound profile. There are a few preset options for increasing bass or treble and there's an option for making audio more dynamic or soft. There's no true equalizer function, but it's better than what's available for AirPods, which is nothing.

Galaxy Buds+ on Android can read notifications to you, a function not available when using them with the iPhone. AirPods offer a similar function in iOS 13, allowing Siri to announce incoming messages.

Galaxy Buds+ can also be connected to multiple devices at the same time such as a TV and an Android phone so you can hear incoming notifications, but this is not a feature that works when using them with an iPhone.

Overall, the Galaxy Buds+ audio seems to be improved and they sound better than the AirPods, but there's not a huge difference. There is a major difference in sound quality compared to the AirPods Pro in favor of the AirPods Pro, but that's probably not a fair comparison given the Galaxy Buds+ are $100 cheaper and not meant to compete with Apple's noise canceling headphones.

Android users who have considered getting AirPods for their smartphones might want to consider the Galaxy Buds+ instead, but those who use both iOS and Android may still want to go for the regular AirPods because of the H1 chip functionality. The H1 chip in the AirPods and AirPods Pro powers hands-free "Hey Siri" requests, improves connectivity and improves range, and also enables fast switching between Apple devices connected to the same iCloud account.

What do you think of Samsung's improved Galaxy Buds+? Let us know in the comments.

Article Link: Samsung's New Galaxy Buds+ Compared to AirPods and AirPods Pro

I got the original Buds free with the s10+ last year and I left them on a damn plane :(

I noticed the ambient sound function would work but not when playing high res flac files, which was weird. Liked them though. Might have to get these instead...

Theft of what? Maybe check out the gear icon X which came out before the original AirPods. Here’s a thought, Apple don’t invent everything. Other companies can have products first.
I wish they would put the inbuilt memory in the buds like the IconX had way back then. Sure galaxy watch can play music over Bluetooth but
Inbuilt playlist is great for jogging with no need for a phone.

ersan191

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2013
it has two simultaneous connections to the last two devices you paired with, and picks up the sound from whatever device is broadcasting sound when you the headphones on. It's the QuietComfort 35. I don't know how they do it, but I can switch between iPad and iPhone instantly.

I would have expected Apple's approach to be smarter than that and somehow magically figure out that if start the music app on my phone and have my AirPods in that that's where I want the sound to go.
Uhhh and what if you use more than 2 devices??

But I’m not sure Apple have enabled all of the Bluetooth 5.0 features. I mean audio sharing with AirPods, something they enabled with iOS 13 is a Bluetooth 5.0 feature in disguise but wouldn’t work with a non Apple device.
Audio sharing in iOS absolutely does not require Bluetooth 5

Last edited:

RogerWilco

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2011
remember when the forum was LIT UP with people saying AirPods were a failure. “The design is garbage” “people will lose them” “too expensive”

and now AirPods seem to be a benchmark for other competition
Yeah, they are a tech masterpiece and everyone immediately saw the huge advantages in wearing bulky ear gadgets. That and the fact that Apple took away the audio jack. :rolleyes:

Tech198

macrumors G5
Mar 21, 2011
Australia, Perth
Yeah, they are a tech masterpiece and everyone immediately saw the huge advantages in wearing bulky ear gadgets. That and the fact that Apple took away the audio jack. :rolleyes:
Another ones 'soar grapes' is another persons treasure... Give 'em something else to play with, and hopefully the forgotten, will stay forgotten.

...hopefully.

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
The multi-device connection of the Buds+ has nothing to do with Apple though. BT audio playback (which is what the Buds would use) has always been enabled on iOS and Mac devices... 'cept on the Homepod unfortunately. I think Dan just made an incorrect assumption based on his initial impressions.

GekkePrutser

macrumors 6502a
Aug 18, 2005
Barcelona, Spain
I use a Samsung phone but I'm not interested in these. I would either go for a cheap set like the $40 Xiaomi AirDots like I have now, OR go for an upmarket set with ANC like the Sony WF1000XM3 or the Airpods Pro (even though they don't work so well with Android).

I don't see a market for expensive earbuds with only basic features like these.

During the presentation I thought I heard "Galaxy butt plugs" 🤦🏻‍♂️
Well in terms of connected devices that's actually a thing :) Just not from Samsung.

subi257

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2018
New Jersey
“sound better than the ‌AirPods‌, but there's not a huge difference. There is a major difference in sound quality compared to the ‌AirPods Pro‌ in favor of the ‌AirPods Pro”

How is this true as I have both AirPods (Gen 2) and AirPods Pro and they sound exactly the same.

Seriously dude? they are night and day different....due to the sealing and noise cancellation. With the Air Pods it's almost hard to hear the music outdoors in a city without turning the volume almost all of the way up. With the Air Pods Pro, everything is audible....full range at no more than 30% volume.

Reactions: felixen and osx86