Samsung's New Galaxy Buds+ Compared to AirPods and AirPods Pro

robertpetry

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2009
Indianapolis, IN
“sound better than the ‌AirPods‌, but there's not a huge difference. There is a major difference in sound quality compared to the ‌AirPods Pro‌ in favor of the ‌AirPods Pro”

How is this true as I have both AirPods (Gen 2) and AirPods Pro and they sound exactly the same.
I think this says more about your ears than the flavors of AirPods. APP and AP2 have totally different components and fit. Almost every professional reviewer and more skilled listener can tell the difference.

You may not be able to tell the difference, so it is not important to YOU. And that is fine. But they are definitely different.
- - Post merged: - -

Does the ANC ACTUALLY work?
Yes. It works well. It worked a little bit better on earlier firmware, but it still works well. The newer firmware has better base however.

Reactions: felixen

jhfenton

macrumors 65816
Dec 11, 2012
Cincinnati, Ohio
And Bose has been able to switch between 2 devices seamlessly without requiring H1, whereas Apple still can't figure out automatically which device I'm using and requires me to manually switch. Other than the initial pairing, I see no benefits in these chips.
I see the benefit using AirPods with my iPhone and Apple Watch. I get the three-way integration I want. I don't get that if I want to switch to my iPad, Mac, or AppleTV. The "magic" is obviously easier to manage with the iPhone and Watch because the iPhone and Watch are also paired, but it would be nice if the devices could coordinate with each other when they were in proximity.

Antes

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2014
Don’t value opinion or review pieces from this site After you claimed the AirPods Pro were “#1” in sound quality for wireless headphones.
I own them and can recognize that this is fanboyism at its worst.

metalsiren

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2017
Looks my buds plus shipped and I will have them tomorrow. I will post an initial review of them and test things like the multi connection etc. using it with Apple devices not android.

I know sound is subjective but I also have the AirPods and the pros so I can at least talks to my opinions on those ones.

nortonandreev

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2016
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Seriously dude? they are night and day different....due to the sealing and noise cancellation. With the Air Pods it's almost hard to hear the music outdoors in a city without turning the volume almost all of the way up. With the Air Pods Pro, everything is audible....full range at no more than 30% volume.
I think this says more about your ears than the flavors of AirPods. APP and AP2 have totally different components and fit. Almost every professional reviewer and more skilled listener can tell the difference.

You may not be able to tell the difference, so it is not important to YOU. And that is fine. But they are definitely different.

Well, as a music producer and artist, I think I can tell the difference between the sound coming from two different sets of headphones. Not that I have to argue with anyone or to prove anything, obviously anybody has theirs own opinion.

I meant that the sound quality is the same as when it comes out from the AirPod, not taking into consideration additional features, such as ANC or them having better seal. While this improved the experience for the listener, doesn’t mean the sound itself is better.

falainber

macrumors 68000
Mar 16, 2016
Wild West
Difference? One is available for purchase, the other is out of stock everywhere
Well, the former one are manufactured in Vietnam and the latter - in China.

Such copycats!

Samsung - aren't you ashamed of always copying Apple products like this?

I mean we are used to it, but really?
What exactly have they copied? Samsung wireless earbuds predate AirPods.

Reactions: Dave.UK and JCCL

BuddyTronic

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
What did they copy?

I guess I shoulda read the article. Maybe I'm wrong. Here is my train of thought:

I was implying that Samsung made some bluetooth ear buds in a white case. I noticed that they looked like a total rip off of what I understood to be Apple's sorta trademark "White headphones, white everything, white Air Pods"

Are you saying Samsung made white AirPod knockoffs because they thought White was a Samsung signature colour and all that? Wow. I could very well be mistaken, but really? If those are the facts, I wonder a lot about that.

Set me straight. I'm not often wrong, but it's possible on this subject, because I don't care much. The picture made me laugh - Samsung white AirPods - sheesh. that would be the title of the article if I wrote it. Of course I'd probably use no words - just the picture. But yes, please let me know how badly wrong I am so I can better myself.

Last edited:

DeepIn2U

macrumors 603
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Your thoughts are stuck. Maybe try to open your mind for a bid.

Obviously, Apple Watch is water resistant -- I use min (gen2) for swimming all the time.

Bluetooth still doesn't work under water and believe it or not, some people like to listen to music while doing laps.

Instead of trying to make me look like a fool and make fun of me with your emojis, recognize that you're just not the demographic I'm speaking of.

Guess I'll stick with my Sony Walkman for that for a while longer....which means Apple will not see any money for ear buds/headphones from me as they neither satisfy my need for exercise proof buds (the AirPods do not stick in my ears, either, for non-water-related sports) nor for casual listening (I prefer over ear headphones with active noise cancelling).
I wasn't trying to make you look like a fool ... I was making fun or light of the topic by skewing perception just a little as I sensed tension.

If you were specific and clear of what you intended for me, and others to see/consider/perceive, our minds would be open.

"Bluetooth still doesn't work under water and believe it or not, some people like to listen to music while doing laps" ... this makes is VERY clear what you intended me/us to see ... and this is VERY valid and novel use case. I hadn't even considered this before. But I cannot read your mind what you stated before the quote here ... I had no idea you/swimmers - like others into fitness wanted to listen to audio while swimming.

Have you writing to Apple about this want/need? Have you posted on larger forums/sites (Twitter/Reddit) to track response, tagging both the topic and #Apple #AppleSupport #pschiller (and that guy in charge of Apple Watch and Tim Cook) ... even writing in weekly emails to finally grab attention?

This would NOT only get more of an open mind from Apple and their engineers ... but for them to take on such a feat, would definitely improve sound quality, ear seals, frequency range/response etc for EVERY AirPods user in the future.

Great idea ... now getting wet while listening to music ... especially on Feb 14TH can really be fun, and you'll still get a good workout ;) (being cheeky again)

Cheers.

mi7chy

macrumors 603
Oct 24, 2014
For me, It’s not just about the overall sound, but about the overall design _and_ how it fits inside my ears. Samsung earbuds design just do not work for me whatsoever, the AirPods I actually find extremely comfortable to wear for hours on end without any discomfort. And for that, you can’t put a price when it comes to comfort, no matter how good the sound is.
That's totally different from what people are saying about the one size fits all AirPods and hard plastic discomfort.

Soccertess

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2005
Hey Macrumors, great video.
Can you comment how they compare for talking on the phone?

I find Airpods are fantastic for talking on the phone, must more than other wireless headphones. So I wonder how good these would be.

scotio200

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2015
Kind of feel the battery level is just Samsungs way of winning the spec wars without any real world application. Who in their right mind is keeping earbuds in their ears for 11 hours?

And who needs 11 hours when they will charge in the case when you take them off. Are people really taking these (or AirPods) off and just leaving them loose (out the case) for hours on end?

Gilligan's last elephant

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2016
Are you saying Samsung made white AirPod knockoffs because they thought White was a Samsung signature colour and all that? Wow. I could very well be mistaken, but really? If those are the facts, I wonder a lot about that.
Samsung make Galaxy Buds+ in THREE colours, to give customers a choice.
On their website it is the black colour that they use for promotion.

metalsiren

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2017
Just got a blue pair , and the sound and call quality is fantastic. But right now I can’t get the multi-point working. On with Samsung , will see what they say

ANC would be great for these I get way better deal with these than the APP

metalsiren

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2017
Personally I think these sound better than the AP2 and even the APP2. But again just my personal opinion.

Have a ticket in with samsung over the multi-point, switch is fine just not both at the same time.

BuddyTronic

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
Samsung make Galaxy Buds+ in THREE colours, to give customers a choice.
On their website it is the black colour that they use for promotion.
Yes ok - but that has nothing much to do with what I was trying to admit to :)

The timing here is the important thing. Your dodge on the facts of timing would cause me to dismiss the idea that I am wrong about accusing Samsung of being copycats.

I’d say Apple announced AirPods, and Samsung rushed to produce a knock off as fast as they could. Am I wrong in thinking that?

barryst

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2009
Yes ok - but that has nothing much to do with what I was trying to admit to :)

The timing here is the important thing. Your dodge on the facts of timing would cause me to dismiss the idea that I am wrong about accusing Samsung of being copycats.

I’d say Apple announced AirPods, and Samsung rushed to produce a knock off as fast as they could. Am I wrong in thinking that?
Samsung released the Icon X before the 1st Gen airpods were announced back in 2016.

Kind of feel the battery level is just Samsungs way of winning the spec wars without any real world application. Who in their right mind is keeping earbuds in their ears for 11 hours?

And who needs 11 hours when they will charge in the case when you take them off. Are people really taking these (or AirPods) off and just leaving them loose (out the case) for hours on end?
Maybe on a long flight?