Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DragoniteD

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2013
Now you're just being totally unrealistic...

...everyone knows Godzilla resides in Japan, not Korea :p

If you watched the Korean version of Detective Conan Movie 19, you will find that there is a "Korea" on top of the Japan map lmao

124749758.jpg

Reactions: Jsameds

coolbreeze

macrumors 68000
Jan 20, 2003
UT
In other news, water is wet. Was there ever any doubt that it was the battery that was the problem source?

B4U

macrumors 68040
Oct 11, 2012
Undisclosed location
Check the stats on note 7 related deaths to gun related deaths . Talk about making a huge issue out of nothing. Some people's hatred of apples competitirs is so selfish on these forums .
And your point is...?
Just because it did not kill as many as guns, that means it does not pose a danger to the general public?

Mobster1983

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2011
No sh*t Sherlock.

I rolled my eyes when I read this on Yahoo! News. Can't believe such an inane article was posted here. Love you guys, but come on.

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
And your point is...?
Just because it did not kill as many as guns, that means it does not pose a danger to the general public?
Although the gun comparison is a bit hyperbolic, I think his point was to illustrate the equally hyperbolic handwringing in this thread. Someone even mentioned "the children".:rolleyes: Sweet Jeebus. The bold portion of your comment is a good example. Just because it didn't kill as many as guns... shouldn't that be "Just because it didn't kill anyone" doesn't mean it didn't pose a danger? Saying it didn't kill as many as guns implies it killed fewer, not that it didn't kill anyone. Which it didn't. Based on some of the comments in this, and other threads, one could be forgiven for thinking the Note debacle was a near extinction level event <-- intentional hyperbole:) There are far more dangerous everyday things in our lives that have actually killed people.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Their battery issues aside, they still have something going on with their design. My two existing Galaxies do fine, even in extensive VR use. I've currently got an S7 Edge and a regular S7. But I had a loaner S7 that I could not use at all in warm ambient temperatures outside in the summer. That thing got hot enough to burn skin. It would randomly heat up indoors, to, doing other normal things. I did a little investigating of user reviews and found I wasn't the only one having such problems. There were numerous random sprinklings of complaints about the Samsung phones of 2016 overheating bad enough to cause pain. I think there were enough that if I were running Samsing, I'd look into the matter more closely and see what's going on.

My HTC 10 can get pretty hot at times, too. Qualcomm processors run really hot compared to the ones iPhone uses. Good design can and does mitigate that to some extent, but packing too much into the chassis as Samsung did with the Note 7 is a recipe for disaster.

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
See above, same applies.

1. This is news throughout the IT/Gadget/Phone world of which Apple is a big part of and their largest competitor.
2. There are a lot of articles on here I don't care about, and so I JUST DON'T CLICK ON THEM.
3. It's 2017, how about you figure out how to ignore stuff you don't care/have time for. Do you really read every article on Macrumors?
4. It isn't like this website is run by Apple. Therefore it isn't taking away from Apple working on the their next "big thing" that you might be interested in
5. Lastly, this site is run by someone trying to make money and wants to take every angle to get people to click on their site.

I'm sorry that this story bugs you so much that you have to read it and then comment instead of just moving on and ignoring it..... There is only so much Apple news to provide on a site like this.

Mildredop

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2013
The phone is rumored to include a 4K Super AMOLED edge-to-edge display, a home button embedded in the display, and a digital AI assistant called "Bixby".

If this is true, I wonder where the fingerprint sensor would go. Please god not on the back.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Can we focus on MacRumors, and not slamming Samsung. I have little interest in Samsung, I'm here for the Mac stories.

Your comment actually provokes Samsung slanders. You were better off not stating Anything at all and ignoring the article, if it did not appease you.

Macrumors reports more than just Apple news and related stories. It hosts rumors and technology from competitors alike. It's not mandatory to read these articles or visit this site. There are plenty of Apple sites available that perhaps would suit your liking.

Reactions: toph2toast

Appleaker

macrumors 68020
Jun 13, 2016
I thought it was the camera. Now that that's explained I'll be buying the Note 8 with confidence!

smacrumon

macrumors 68030
Jan 15, 2016
1. This is news throughout the IT/Gadget/Phone world of which Apple is a big part of and their largest competitor.
2. There are a lot of articles on here I don't care about, and so I JUST DON'T CLICK ON THEM.
3. It's 2017, how about you figure out how to ignore stuff you don't care/have time for. Do you really read every article on Macrumors?
4. It isn't like this website is run by Apple. Therefore it isn't taking away from Apple working on the their next "big thing" that you might be interested in
5. Lastly, this site is run by someone trying to make money and wants to take every angle to get people to click on their site.

I'm sorry that this story bugs you so much that you have to read it and then comment instead of just moving on and ignoring it..... There is only so much Apple news to provide on a site like this.
Every minute spent on covering Samsung are minutes lost on covering Apple news in depth, covering all aspects, going deep into the reporting.

Here is probably what you're looking for http://samsungrumors.net

kdarling

macrumors P6
Samsung's Official Note7 Investigation Concludes Battery Was the Cause of Fires

Until the official report comes out, the title should be more like, "RUMORED investigation results".

Another bonus for devices with removable batteries

+1

There is more to this. I cannot believe that during testing they didn't notice the battery getting blindingly hot, (even if no fires at that stage), and ignoring it.

Since it only happened to about one out of 40,000 units, they could've done testing with a thousand units for weeks and never had it happen.

Sometimes errors don't become apparent until millions are in actual use. Apple's device problems are prime examples.

Spontaneously bursting into flames is an event, even if it doesn't kill anyone. The zero body count is just luck. If this had happened on a plane this could have been a different matter.

Could have been, but plenty of phones have burst into flames in a passenger cabin... including iPhones... with nothing worse happening than a precautionary landing because of smoke.

If an iPhone/iPad fire was the cause of the EgyptAir crash, then the perfume bottles were undoubtedly a major factor in making the fire into a more deadly incident than it should've been.

And it's well-known that any iPhone battery-related event was due to someone using an unsafe third-party charger, or not giving the phone the thermal ventilation that any device needs.

Official Apple chargers for their other products have been recalled by the millions, so I wouldn't be so quick to always blame third party chargers.

As for proper ventilation (and I would add, putting a phone in your back pocket and sitting on it!!), I agree that for all devices that's probably a major cause of fires. Especially for devices which might have a lot of new phablet users, such as with the Note 7 and iPhone 6.

So it was probably caused by Samsung rushing to get the phone out then. Things often go wrong when products are pushed out the door before being thoroughly tested.

Besides that click bait story, there's no evidence it was rushed. In fact, it came out about the same time of year as the Note 5 had.

Explosions in mainland China can't change their mind but instead they bribed users to make them silent. Until more and more explosions took place, they finally admitted it and began the recalling process in mainland China, without any proper/acceptable official apologies.

Speaking of Chinese officials, don't forget that the government run TV in China sent some Note 7 users on a paid tour, to give speeches about how people should buy Chinese made phones instead. No ulterior motive there. :rolleyes:

Of course, China is pushing back against other foreign phones as well. For instance, just last month the Chinese government dismissed Apple’s attempts to downplay their own battery shutdown problem, and attacked them for failing to “meet basic consumer needs for normal wireless communication.”

Last edited:
Reactions: rjohnstone

duervo

macrumors 68020
Feb 5, 2011
What's interesting is the co-pilot had 4... 4 bottles of cologne on a flight. Who the hell travels around with 4 bottles of cologne? Fire probably started when sunlight was magnified through the window of the plane and ignited the menagerie of Old Spice fragrances.:D:p

Makes me wonder if some leaking cologne caused a short in the electrical system, and/or caught fire while leaking. That is a lot of cologne, and alcohol is the largest ingredient in cologne.

That would be similar to putting a small squeeze bottle of lighter fluid on the dashboard of a plane carrying 50+ passengers. Not the smartest thing one could do, and even less smart for somebody that definitely should know better (co-pilot.)

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
I bet Samsung had to contract the best investigators on the planet Earth to get to the conclusion. Bravo!
I don't know, I mean apparently they switched to a different battery from a different manufacturer and they still blew up? That seems extremely unlikely to have 2 different providers of bad batteries at the same time (one of those providers being a wholly-owned Samsung subsidiary).

Has to be more to it than just "we got bad batteries".

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
In other news, water is wet. Was there ever any doubt that it was the battery that was the problem source?

It's not necessarily about reporting the battery being the culprit, as we already suspected from reports. It's about releasing the investigation results publicly, which was never confirmed officially. There has to be some form of public information release or documentation stating the concluded results. It's procedural more than it is obvious what we already were aware of from the start.

And during any investigation, its policy for companies to remain silent and not acknowledging any information until the investigation is completed.

Reactions: 69Mustang

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Nov 4, 2008
Since it only happened to about one out of 40,000 units, they could've done testing with a thousand units for weeks and never had it happen.

Sometimes errors don't become apparent until millions are in actual use. Apple's device problems are prime examples.
It sure seemed like loads in the press. They must surely have gotten some really hot batteries even in pretesting?

usarioclave

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2003
The real question is whether they'll tell us what combinations of things (decisions, design, etc) led to a catastrophic failure of the battery. The battery itself isn't really a problem.

Reactions: kdarling

Tubamajuba

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2011
here
That's not ironic, it's just a misunderstanding of facts and statistics on your part.

You'll also find the vast majority of iPhone related battery incidents are caused by external factors, such as damage to the phone, dodgy repairs and dodgy 3rd party accessories. The rest are just background noise from Li-Ion defect rates.

The difference with the Note 7 is there was something fundamentally wrong with the phone itself.
Yes, but it's Samsung so they get a free pass. Meanwhile, we read pages and pages of people throwing fits over Apple releasing ads they don't like, wanting Cook fired because he hasn't released the exact product with the exact software they want, wireless headphones that are too expensive, etc...

...but exploding phones? As long as they're not iPhones, let's just sweep it under the rug.

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
Every minute spent on covering Samsung are minutes lost on covering Apple news in depth, covering all aspects, going deep into the reporting.

Here is probably what you're looking for http://samsungrumors.net

Here are your mistakes in this post:
1. Macrumors is NOT an "in depth" website. They simply link to other sites for their in depth analysis. Show me one story that is "in depth" that they actually wrote?
2. What has Apple released in the last 1-2 months? Absolutely nothing. So what would there be to cover? <- Okay Air Pods were officially released. No Major products though.
3. Right now, every time you come to this thread, it's another "visit" to a Samsung thread on Macrumors which means their analytics is showing that this sort of story drives people to their site. You are actually having the opposite effect by reading and commenting on this thread....

Further, You are really spending a LOT of time in a thread you don't even care about trying to prove you are right when clearly many of us have pointed out your logic flaws.

Last edited:

Pootmatoot

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2014
Rumors had suggested Samsung pushed suppliers to meet tighter deadlines for an earlier launch in order to beat the iPhone 7

That sounds like bunk... it was released roughly the same time as all Samsung updates for years...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.