Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mazz0

macrumors 68040
Mar 23, 2011
Leeds, UK
I use 32” 4k and while it’s usable I wouldn’t say it’s super sharp. I just deal with it. I think stepping up to 32” 5k would be great and if such consumer priced product existed I would certainly buy it.
Given the price of even 4K OLEDs at that price 5k would have to get a *lot* cheaper before I’d consider it! I certainly wouldn’t sacrifice the blacks of the OLED.

ApplyPie

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2019
Here n There
I don't think this will be very successful, at least not in the US.
Mac users will just buy the Apple Studio, since pricing is so similar.
PC users will skip this, as it doesn't even have a full Displayport, just a mini, and is too pricey. Displayport is THE standard in the PC world.

Probably some niche PC video production places will pick it up for the 5K.
Have to see what they sell for. I'm hearing $1000... That's for 5k monitor with adjustable stand, and anti-glare coating.. Something Apple will charge you $2300 for.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
You must have better eyes than me!
I most likely have much worse eyesight than you... but I wear glasses that correct me to about 20/20.

If you're used to 218 ppi (27" 5K), at a seating distance of 22" it's pretty easy to see the text quality degradation going to 138 ppi (32" 4K). There is still some degradation going from 218 ppi to 163 ppi (27" 4K), but it's much, much less of a difference than 218 vs 138 ppi.

Equipment tested by yours truly:

218 ppi (27" 5K): 2017 27" iMac - Retina distance 16"
163 ppi (28.2" 4K+): Huawei MateView - Retina distance 21"
138 ppi (32" 4K): Asus ProArt PA329CB - Retina distance 25"
92 ppi (32" 1440p): Asus ProArt PA328CGV - Retina distance 37.5"

This is with macOS. Text still usually looks decent in Windows on the lower pixel density screens.

jjbond

macrumors newbie
May 29, 2021
If this monitor offers the same glossy finished glass as the ASD, it can be a worthy competitor. Otherwise, personally I don’t want another matte finished display, thank you.
A'men... how come we can never have perfect, there's ALWAYS one little thing that they have to do to screw up paradise... no way I'd pay big bucks for a monitor with vaseline look to the images... this really torques me that we finally have an option and they blow it with matte instead of glossy... They'd blow away the Studio if they hadn't done this stunt, who in R&D thought this was a good idea...

Reactions: Populus

jjbond

macrumors newbie
May 29, 2021
But it doesn't have an Apple logo.
Smack a sticker on it, lord knows we all have a ton of them from getting one in every product we buy, unlike chargers, headphones and stuff we need.. stickers, yes... tons

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.