Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Sandy Bridge E Processors Suitable for Mac Pro Update Due November 15th?

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

VR-Zone.com reports on claims from Turkish site DonanimHaber suggesting that Intel will be releasing its high-end Sandy Bridge E processors on November 15th. While not addressed in the reports, server-class Xeon versions of those processors, which would be candidates for inclusion in an updated Mac Pro lineup, are likely to ship at the same time.
The Platform Launch is specified as Weeks 46-47, which covers November 14th to November 27th. However DonanimHaber inisist that the final release date is November 15th.

The three SKUs are Core i7 3820, Core i7 3930K and Core i7 3960X, priced at $294, $583 and $999 respectively. The new flagship, Core i7 3960X, is expected to be 15% faster than the Core i7 990X on average. However, the 3960X is much faster in applications that rely heavily on memory bandwidth (thanks to X79's quad-channel memory) or AVX.
Several rumors had suggested that updated Mac Pro models might arrive in early August, despite that fact that no suitable processors were publicly known to be available for such a refresh. We noted last month that the rumored timeframe had come and gone without a release and reviewed Intel's roadmap that pegged suitable processors for a release during the fourth quarter of this year.

A November 15th launch for the processors certainly fits within that window, and opens the door for Apple to introduce new Mac Pros, which have been eagerly anticipated given that the line was last updated in July 2010. Apple has also been known to receive early access to Intel processors for certain machines, including Mac Pros, and thus it is possible that Apple could even introduce new Mac Pro models ahead of that date and give themselves a headstart on the end-of-year buying season.

Based on the list of Xeon Sandy Bridge E processors set to launch later this year, it seems likely that Apple will target the E5-2620, E5-2650 and E5-2670 for the dual-processor configurations of the Mac Pro, offering options of 12 or 16 cores in those configurations. Single-processor configuration would likely also be made available using other chips.

Article Link: Sandy Bridge E Processors Suitable for Mac Pro Update Due November 15th?

Last edited by a moderator:

verstaerker

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2011
Yeah! I want one!

But: Do i understand that right? The rumors are saying nothing about the Xeons? So this is just another rumor without any serious background?

Comment

MrCrowbar

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2006
But what do you need those Pro machines for if there's no more pro software to run on them?

Comment

Liquinn

Suspended
Apr 10, 2011
Oh wow, this would be awesome if true.

I'm still going to purchase a MBP Ivy Bridge though, but the MP is better than the MBP and iMac combined xD

Comment

iasky

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2008
Virginia
Nice!

Gives me a little time to cash out my stocks. A new Mac Pro will probably hold its value better than the stocks anyway! :D

Comment

EiriasEmrys

macrumors member
Oct 21, 2010
Apple isn't the only Software Company

But what do you need those Pro machines for if there's no more pro software to run on them?

Lets talk about:

Adobe anything (Master Suite)
Final Cut Pro 7
Motion 5
Maya 2011
Blender
Cinema 4D
ProTools
Logic Pro
DaVinci Resolve
AutoCad
Flame

AND (Most importantly):

StarCraft II
Diablo III
Portal II
Microsoft Word

Comment

Umbongo

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2006
England
Based on the list of Xeon Sandy Bridge E processors set to launch later this year, it seems likely that Apple will target the E5-2620, E5-2650 and E5-2670 for the dual-processor configurations of the Mac Pro, offering options of 12 or 16 cores in those configurations. Single-processor configuration would likely also be made available using other chips.

I think those options would be disappointing. They are intended for servers rather than workstations. Apple have used dual 150W TDP rated CPUs before so while the 95W TDP might seem a limiting factor due to the 09-10 models, I don't think its a restriction. Especially as they will need to change the cooling system with or without a new enclosure. Obviously we don't know the pricing yet, but even if it goes up some these CPUs are likely to be on a lower end than those currently used. The single CPU systems would also have50% faster clockrates.

Comment

mds

macrumors 6502
Oct 6, 2006
Any chance these will drop into a 2010 Mac Pro? Didn't think so. ;)

Comment

verstaerker

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2011
Lets talk about:

Adobe anything (Master Suite)
Final Cut Pro 7
Motion 5
Maya 2011
Blender
Cinema 4D
ProTools
Logic Pro
DaVinci Resolve
AutoCad
Flame

AND (Most importantly):

StarCraft II
Diablo III
Portal II
Microsoft Word

honestly:

even if it has not all Pro Features:
FCP-X runs amazingly fast on my 8-Core MP from 2008 and is really a joy to use

Comment

LimeiBook86

macrumors 604
May 4, 2002
Go Vegan
Well I'm glad to see some news about Mac Pros, but I'll believe it when I see it. It's been far, far too long! The current machine is pretty outdated for a "Pro" machine, especially with the rest of the Macs sporting Thunderbolt ports, etc.

I hope to see new ones released soon! :)

Comment

verstaerker

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2011
Well I'm glad to see some news about Mac Pros, but I'll believe it when I see it. It's been far, far too long! The current machine is pretty outdated, especially for a "Pro" machine.

ever used one or just reading tec specs?
the actual ones are still blazing fast!

Comment

CmdrLaForge

macrumors 601
Feb 26, 2003
around the world
I am hoping for a re-designed MacPro using standard Intel desktop CPUs. Not sure if those could be used in pairs but overall I hope that we are seeing a much smaller MacPro with a price starting at around $1200 and upgradable with all high end features if required.

Comment

Liquinn

Suspended
Apr 10, 2011
I am hoping for a re-designed MacPro using standard Intel desktop CPUs. Not sure if those could be used in pairs but overall I hope that we are seeing a much smaller MacPro with a price starting at around $1200 and upgradable with all high end features if required.
Yep, that sounds about right.

Imagine having 10 512 SSDs inside a Mac Pro; that would be amazing.

Comment

EiriasEmrys

macrumors member
Oct 21, 2010
honestly:

even if it has not all Pro Features:
FCP-X runs amazingly fast on my 8-Core MP from 2008 and is really a joy to use

Yeah, I think FinalCut Pro X is awesome. It's a rebirth, not a new iteration. People need to give it time. There was no reason to leave Studio 3 to begin with unless you felt Avid was offering something better. Still not sure that Adobe's stuff is ready for primetime yet.

Comment

LimeiBook86

macrumors 604
May 4, 2002
Go Vegan
ever used one or just reading tec specs?
the actual ones are still blazing fast!

I have used one, and I know they are very, very fast. I was waiting for one but went with a 27" i7 2011 iMac instead. The point I am making is that they are due for a refresh (which is obvious) and it's painful to see models such as the iMac & Mini with Thunderbolt ports when the Pro doesn't have them yet. So I happily await the refresh, even though I am not in the market for one. :)

Comment

Umbongo

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2006
England

No they can't be used in pairs. Apple using Xeons rather than desktop CPUs has no effect on the price. Xeons and Core i5s/i7s have identical if not almost identical prices. Mac Pros are expensive because the market Apple aim them for will pay the prices and it is a niche product.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.